(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

wiring component speakers

Audio, video, navigation, radar detectors and more. Also for alarms, security systems, kill switches, and other immobilization techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

wiring component speakers

Postby hispanicpanic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:57 pm

so im looking to install some speakers in the rex now that they are blown and my evo went full racecar and makes a great donor. the stock speakers on the evo are 6.5 inches but the fronts have component speakers. whats the best way to wire them in?

hispanicpanic

Re: wiring component speakers

Postby msc » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:31 am

Unless the CRX is already pretty hacked up my approach would be to get some speakers that properly fit the CRX rather the hack up the door cards to fit other speakers.

As far as wiring is concerned I'm not an expert on this so can't recommend a particular product. Basically what you want is called a crossover network that directs the higher frequencies to the tweeter and the lower frequencies to the main speaker.

Do a google search for "speaker passive crossover network" and you will find lots of information on them.

When shopping for a crossover ebay has plenty of options and I expect Amazon does too. Check your favorite stereo shop either on-line or bricks and mortar. Try searching for "2way passive speaker crossover". Searching for "2way speaker crossover" will give more results but will include some of the active type crossover.

Look for something that is matched for the resistance of your speakers, probably 8 ohms. You also need one that is rated for at least as much power as your stereo puts out. Probably even the cheapest ones will handle the power of basic car audio. There is no advantage in getting one that is rated for far more power then your stereo puts out.

Mike
msc

Postby hispanicpanic » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:06 pm

thanks mike. The internet tells me that 6.5's fit just fine inside the crx doors. Would i really need to hack things up? The factory speakers i'm pulling off aren't on the large side either for their size. I have no idea how the OEM system handles the crossover of these component style speakers. I was hoping they would already be wired in or something.
hispanicpanic

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 pm

Take a look at the back of the tweeters, if there is a capacitor attached to one of the speaker leads in series, then there's no need to worry about a crossover. It will do a high pass filter for you, not the best but that's how 90% of factory component speakers are set up.

When there's an issue on mounting, it's usually not the size that gets you. It's the mounting bracket/surface itself. See those mitsu brackets twist and lock, there are no screws so at the very least you need to make L brackets for them. My crx didn't come with doors, so I can't tell you how hard it would be. It could be as easy as setting them in there and running screws. No idea on that one, but if those tweets have that cap on them then they will be fine. Almost all oem speakers run at 4ohms, when they are amplified like the jbl systems in Toyota, they usually run at 2 ohms.
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Return to Car Audio, Gadgets and Security