Honda CRX Forum banner

Enhancing audio quality of stock head unit? (1991 DX)

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Baker 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been working on restoring a '91 DX that's become my baby; trying my damndest to keep everything stock. I replaced the front speakers and installed two in the rear, however I'm noticing some audio quality / fidelity issues that I'm almost positive are due to using the stock head unit.

Is there any kind of preamp or other add-on device I can add to the stock head to enhance the audio quality? I have had no issues using a Sony cassette adapter to play music from my phone while cruising. Any help with this much appreciated!

#2 ·
Yes, you can add an amp using the factory wiring. Use Metra harnesses so you don't need to chop up your factory harness! Basically, you'll take the speaker outputs from the head unit, send them to line level converters, the line level converters feed an amp, and then the amp outputs go where the speaker outputs would have gone.

This can be done 100% concealed with a small amp. If you're adding a sub, the wiring gets slightly more complex and creative placement of a small sub for 100% concealment will be needed, but that will help with sound quality as well.

#3 ·
If you're adding an amp, you're already veering away from stock. A subtle aftermarket head unit will look much better, perform better than any combination you could come up with on a stock hu, and incorporate new technology.

I get what you're trying to do with your build, but I also think that you may be overthinking things, too. Did you replace the old stock speakers with stock speakers?

Another thing to think about - if you go with a stock HU size, everything is reversible. My :twocents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.