(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Beeeeeeep!

Audio, video, navigation, radar detectors and more. Also for alarms, security systems, kill switches, and other immobilization techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

Beeeeeeep!

Postby Dirty » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:24 am

Ok, so i'm driving down the road and my car starts beeping. i'm not sure what's going on and if you can help i'd appreciate it. maybe something with the seat belts? :idea:
"I watch this [crud] on tv......I know what I'm talking about!"
my father
I don't want to change the world, I just want to see it.
Me
Dirty

Re: Beeeeeeep!

Postby 4N2NR » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:44 am

like a beep of the horn? a beep like a backup alarm? a beep like a beeper dinger under the dash? no idiot lights on or blinking, or bulbs removed or inop (that might indicate what the issue is)?

And anyways, how fast were you going and what was the speed limit? Was it day or night?
I put the FUN in dysfunctional!
SEX - StreetEXtremes
4N2NR

Postby JonnyFast » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 am

Is it every time you step on the brakes?? Cause then you have blown the fuse for your brake lights. (that happened to mine).

Otherwise probably some kind of fuse. Just check all the fuses and you should find it...
DOHC built b18a1
JDM back seat
If you don't have time to do it right you must have time to do it over.
JonnyFast

Postby Dirty » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:29 pm

it's high pitched beeeeep beeeeeep beeeep and it goes off every now and then. all my lights work and fuses are good. I hope that u can help solve the problem 4N2NR. You do seem to be "hip" to all the different types of beeps. I bet your gaydar goes off constantly!
my father
Me
Dirty

Postby ollie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:12 pm

I'd be willing to bet one of your door ajar pins are intermittently shorting.

So just a beep?..no interior lights come on?...no dash indicators come on?
...Thrashy. said...."Robb, if my car ever breaks down, I'll never have to worry because I can just shout "CRX FLOORMATS!" and within an hour you'll be right there to tell me about yours. 8)" ahhhhhahahahahahah

1989 EF9 project "Backburner" in restoration. :)
ollie
Site Admin

Postby 4N2NR » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:32 pm

It's probably low batteries in his Beltones. Or like he said....seatbelt wasn't buckled.
I put the FUN in dysfunctional!
SEX - StreetEXtremes
4N2NR

Postby msc » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Do you have door or pillar mounted belts? All the 2nd gen CRX's have a key-on warning system with the beeper in the ICU on the dash fuse box, Canadian models include a driver seat belt reminder in this system. The cars with door mounted belts also have a seat belt control unit behind the dash and a beeper up near the rear view mirror. You need to determine which beeper is going off so you know which system to troubleshoot.

First thing to try is buckling both seat belts when driving. If this puts an end to the problem then it's probably a flaky switch in the passenger seat belt latch and you can unplug the switch under the passenger seat to resolve the issue. I had this problem with my car.

Mike
msc

Postby Dirty » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:55 am

4N2NR is right i do wear hearing aids. i can barely hear it but my wife finds it annoying. i have door mounted belts. i'll try unpluging the passenger side and see what happens.
my father
Me
Dirty

Postby BlackIce » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:51 pm

You dont have a Jap gauge cluster do you ? Does it happen only at higher speeds, say 100kmh/65mph ?
JDM '88 Si + ZC + Cyber Roof :)
BlackIce

Postby Dirty » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:53 am

no it happens pretty much any time it wants. i unplugged the switch under the seat, so far so good. :-)b
my father
Me
Dirty

Postby OGMatt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:53 pm

My dads 91 civic does that!! Only when the blinkers are on though
7K all day!
OGMatt

Postby Die_Ursidae » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Dirty wrote:no it happens pretty much any time it wants. i unplugged the switch under the seat, so far so good. :-)b

Thats what I had to do. Bout' drove me nuts! 8)
"I am going to be a storm-a flame. I need to fight whole armies alone. I have ten hearts. I have a hundred arms. I feel too strong to war with mortals. BRING ME GIANTS!"
Die_Ursidae

Postby dbjs100 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:17 am

mine beeps about 10 times in two different tones whenever i turn it off.... Its been running for all 6 months I've had it, nothings changed, and no lights are out.... What the hell? I just figured its my cars version of morse code saying "i love you too"
dbjs100

Postby Baker » Tue May 25, 2010 6:36 am

Dirty wrote:no it happens pretty much any time it wants. i unplugged the switch under the seat, so far so good. :-)b

That will work sometimes. It sounds like the beeping reminder to put your seat belt on.
Try pulling your door while it is already shut. If it shuts off it may be the wires that are with the door mounted seat belts. You will need to take your door panel off to do this, but try unplugging the harness that's attached to the seat belts in the doors. It's the beeping "reminder" to put your belt on. We had that problem with my wife's car. I simply unplugged the harness. I don't need the car to tell me, I know when the door is open or my belt is not on.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby oloughlin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:00 am

wow, dirty, i have the same problem. think it is my passenger seatbelt "warning/reminder". i heard you could unplus the wire from the bottom of the seat. or i guess baker's way works too.

it is super annoying though. my question is, if it is the passenger reminder, how does it know if you have a passenger or not? or can it not be the passenger and only the driver "reminder beeping". just always made me wonder. no way seats have pressure plates.
coexist
oloughlin

Postby bobski » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:32 pm

Baker wrote:It's the beeping "reminder" to put your belt on.
In some cases. If unplugging the 2-wire connector under each seat fixes the problem, it's the reminder beeper.
The seatbelt control unit (which controls the beeper) also watches the seat belt retractors to make sure they're operating properly.
Honda expected people to leave the seat belts buckled all the time and slip under them when exiting or entering the car. This was their solution to new passive restraint requirements introduced at the time... Ridiculous, I know. As part of this system, they added a solenoid to each retractor that disables the locking mechanism (the one that takes action when the car experiences a sudden acceleration or deceleration) when the door is open. The idea being to prevent the retractors from locking at inappropriate times, such as in the middle of swinging the door open, which would snap the belts tight across the occupant. Anyway, if that solenoid gets stuck, the retractor lock could be permanently disabled, making the belt useless in a collision. To avoid that situation, Honda added a switch to each solenoid so the seat belt control unit could watch and make sure everything is doing what it's supposed to.
The point of confusion is that the seatbelt unit uses the same beeper to warn about any problem with the seat belts. Whether it's an unbuckled belt, door registering as open while the vehicle is moving or a malfunctioning retractor, the seatbelt unit sets off the same beeping sound that many of us are familiar with when switching on the ignition.
bobski

Postby oloughlin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:56 pm

wow. he smart^
coexist
oloughlin

Postby bobski » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:24 am

I read the manual. ^_^
bobski

Postby aznative » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:47 pm

I have a similar problem that just started occurring in the last couple weeks. I'll be driving along and it seems like hitting a small bump in the road or taking a hard turn will set off the beep. I believe the beep to be the seatbelt reminder. Sometimes it will shut itself off after a few beeps and other times it will endlessly continue. My temporary fix is to shut the ignition off while rolling and roll start the car. It seems to reboot the system and the beeping stops. Also, the door open light in the dash stays on permanently and it never did before. Another brand new issue is that the solenoid inside the seatbelt mechanism inside the door (1990 HF totally stock) will activate or cycle in approximate 3 to 5 second intervals. The other day I was changing the oil and the key was totally out of the ignition and I could hear the seatbelt solenoid cycling. Attaching or undoing the seatbelt on the passenger seat has no affect on any of this. The driver's seatbelt will still set off the seatbelt light in the dash and above the rear view on the lighted indicator but the beep will stop after a few beeps after I undo the seatbelt. The car is stock, no accidents, no rust or corrosion issues, a Vegas and Tucson car its whole life. I'm going to inspect the door and hatch wiring to insure that the switches are working. I don't want to override anything - I just want to fix it so it operates the way Honda intended. Help.
aznative

Postby As I Conspire » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:58 pm

above inside your mirror is an alarm for your seatbelts. unplug that and ur golden
As I Conspire
AIC Designs

Postby bobski » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:41 pm

aznative wrote:Also, the door open light in the dash stays on permanently and it never did before. Another brand new issue is that the solenoid inside the seatbelt mechanism inside the door (1990 HF totally stock) will activate or cycle in approximate 3 to 5 second intervals. The other day I was changing the oil and the key was totally out of the ignition and I could hear the seatbelt solenoid cycling.

There's a switch in each door latch that has control over that door's solenoids. If the door switch and/or solenoids are cycling while the car is in motion, it will definitely set off the warning beeper. The solenoid circuit is always on... It's independent from the ignition switch. I would check the door latch switch, as well as that power supply wire (white with a blue stripe maybe?). If you can hear the solenoids in both doors cycling together, it's a power supply issue. If it's just one door, it's the switch or the supply to just that door.
bobski

Postby The Phenomenom » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:06 pm

bobski wrote:
aznative wrote:Also, the door open light in the dash stays on permanently and it never did before. Another brand new issue is that the solenoid inside the seatbelt mechanism inside the door (1990 HF totally stock) will activate or cycle in approximate 3 to 5 second intervals. The other day I was changing the oil and the key was totally out of the ignition and I could hear the seatbelt solenoid cycling.

There's a switch in each door latch that has control over that door's solenoids. If the door switch and/or solenoids are cycling while the car is in motion, it will definitely set off the warning beeper. The solenoid circuit is always on... It's independent from the ignition switch. I would check the door latch switch, as well as that power supply wire (white with a blue stripe maybe?). If you can hear the solenoids in both doors cycling together, it's a power supply issue. If it's just one door, it's the switch or the supply to just that door.

I have the beeping occurring mostly for the passenger door, when I hit any bump. Is there anyway, someone can put up a tutorial on how to fix this properly without changing the way Honda intended for it to be? I would love to learn more about my car. Thanks guys.
I know very little about working on cars, but I want to learn. Forgive me for my ignorance.
The Phenomenom

Postby bobski » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:14 pm

Based on your PM (pull on the door/slight window down makes it stop), it sounds like a bad switch in the door latch to me. I don't think the switch alone is replaceable - you need to replace the whole latch.
bobski

Postby The Phenomenom » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:33 pm

bobski wrote:Based on your PM (pull on the door/slight window down makes it stop), it sounds like a bad switch in the door latch to me. I don't think the switch alone is replaceable - you need to replace the whole latch.

Dang. Any idea where I can find one or how I should start? BTW, I am new to working on cars, but finally got tired of wasting money on mechanics.
I know very little about working on cars, but I want to learn. Forgive me for my ignorance.
The Phenomenom

Postby aznative » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:02 pm

I pulled the whole latch out of the driver's door and found that some plastic inside it was broken and the steel latch mechanism wasn't locating correctly. I went onto Craigslist and bought an entire door for $30, fit it inside the CRX (barely), and disassembled this door for its latch mechanism. Problem solved. There is a wire coming from the latch mechanism with a quick-disconnect behind the door panel. This was not much fun to figure out or replace.

This was a while back so I am recalling from memory but another issue that was solved with this repair was correcting the ghost current draw that would lead to a low or dead battery after a couple days of sitting. Apparently the latch was sending a signal to one of the solenoids inside the seat belt mechanism (90 HF) and was sending current to one or both of the solenoids when it should not have. Also, in hindsight, the seat belt light on the dash was also on and went out after the latch was replaced. To track this down, I used a digital multimeter in line with the battery cables as an ammeter to monitor the amperage draw through the entire electrical circuit. Then I proceeded to pull the fuses one at a time until one of them dropped the current draw to near zero. Taking a look at the factory manual wiring diagrams, I determined that it was in the seatbelt curcuit. I'm not savvy with electrical but found it quite satisfying to figure this one out after a couple hours of reading, pulling fuses and a few more beers.

Hope this helps somebody.
aznative

Next

Return to Car Audio, Gadgets and Security