Honda CRX Forum banner

what size of subwoofer is best and how many?

7K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  crxwolski08 
#1 ·
I have a 88 crx dx and looking to put some subwoofers in it but im wanting around 145 148 db I hear that to big or too many will get you low score any sugestions?

#4 ·
Generalizing greatly, a pair of very good 12-inch woofers or moderate quality 15 inch woofers with about 1500W of power in a vented enclosure should get you into the neighborhood. Be sure and add sufficient power delivery support in the form of an upgraded alternator and/or secondary battery. You'll never get 150+Amps out of the stock electrical system.

#7 ·
Here is my setup.

It's a JL Audio W7 in a box I built that fit perfectly in the area where the cargo divider sits. I had to cut the facia 38"x15" with 3/4" (2 cm) MDF. It's powered by a JL Audio 250 D-class amp.

This in my opinion is a great setup for a daily driver. It hits hard enough to turn heads if you turn it up but it's not so overbearing and keeps you from looking like a DB that's trying too hard. The box also still slow me to have enough space to utilize my trunk and access my spare tire well.

spare tire.

#10 ·
I planed on building a rear fire box next. The box is sealed with urethane in the joints so there is no modding this one without destroying it. My next build will have the sub recessed in to the box and will have a removable felt panel to his the sub. Also want to the stock Si hardware so I can fold the box down for extra trunk room.

#13 ·
The stock hardware will only act as a fulcrum for the box. I just need to see how it lines up. Once I do that I'll probably have the machinist at my shop fab something out of aluminum to support the weight of the box.

#14 ·
Back in the day, I had 15" Ti eclipse with a slot port vent box. Powering it was xtant X1001 amp and about 15 joules of power feeding her. I had this in my 02 Ranger firing down. My back window would flex almost a inch and I could bounce a full 2 litter pop bottle almost3 inchs off my roof. I miss her :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.