Honda CRX Forum banner

BannisteR's '90 EF8 SiR Glasstop Build.

177K views 741 replies 122 participants last post by  Nar 
#1 ·
Hello CRXcommunity.com, I'm BannisteR and here is my project car.
I picked her up December of 07 as a stripped shell. The shell was in great shape, no body rot or rust and had paperwork. Hasn't been registered stateside yet. She had doors, dash, carpet, hatch and haggard suspension. Picked up a set of HX wheels to roll her onto the tailor to get home and roll around in the garage. I'm currently stationed in VA and the car is in Cali safe in the garage. I will be getting hot and heavy into the build up of her very shortly as ill be bringing her out to VA so I will have ample time to work on it.
Most current state as of September '10:

Just a few of the parts that I've been collecting...

Few other pics...

Here's a rundown of the parts I've put on/ collected so far
-INTERIOR-
*EF8 door cards
*EF8 power windows
*EF8 rear interior including rear seat and bass tubes
*EF8 access floor mats
*Custom "personal box" w/ yellow flocking
*Custom "coin tray" w/ yellow flocking
*AP1 cluster with Qube engineering LED conversion (white)
*DC2 ITR black w/ yellow stitch shift boot
*NRG short hub
*Works Bell quick release
*Personal Black w/ yellow stitching wheel / Vertex 10 star in blue
*Spoon Sports Ti knob / Vertex white delrin / J's burnt Ti
*Spoon Sports DC2 rear view mirror insert
*DC2 rear view mirror
*Mugen DC2 mirror cover in NH-0
*Bride EF8 seat rails
*Spoon Reclneable seat
-SUSPENSION/BRAKES-
*EF8 miracle X crossbar
*EF/ITR Function7 lower control arms
*Fortune Auto 500 coilovers w/ Swift spring upgrade.
*HardRace upper control arms
*HardRace rear camber kit
*HardRace EF bushing kit
*Full Race front cross member/ traction bar
*ASR EF rear sway bar and subframe brace
*Spoon Sports EF8 rigid collar kit
*Spoon Sports EF front strut bar / Circuit Sports strut bar
*Spoon Sports EG/DC rear lower tie bar
*Spoon Sports EG6 torque damper
*Wilwood 4 piston w/ 11" rotors (front)
*Wilwood large single piston parking brake calipers w/ 11" rotors (rear)
*Goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines
*H&R extended studs
*Powder coated gunmetal suspension components
-MOTOR/PERF-
*'98 USDM B18C5 w/ OEM ITR 81.25 pistons
*ITR head
*USDM ITR Trans
*ACL race bearings
*Buddy Club Spec II exhaust
*Password JDM battery relocate kit
*Spoon Sports DC2 Radiator hoses
*Spoon Sports 4-2-1 header
*Spoon Sports radiator cap
*Spoon Sports oil cap
*Spoon Sports carbon kevlar spark plug cover
*Spoon Sports thermostat switch
*Spoon Sports thermostat
*Spoon Sports gen2 cam gears
*Spoon Sports high tension cords
*Spoon Sports heat barrier tape
*Spoon Sports radiator stays
*Spoon Sports drain and oil plug
*Spoon Sports head gasket
*M's Factory Sport injection kit (ITB's)
*Skunk2 tuner stage 2 cams
*Skunk2 valve springs
*Skunk2 Ti retainers
*Skunk2 composite fuel rail
*Skunk2 VTEC solenoid
*Skunk2 VTEC solenoid cap
*Skunk2 cam seal
*Skunk2 valve cover flush mount bolts
*Hondata intake manifold gasket
*Hasport EFB2 mounts
*Hasport shift linkage
*Hasport axles
*C&R radiator
-EXTERIOR-
*EE8 EDM taillights w/ rear fog light
*EF8 Honda Access visors
*EF8 bumper lights
*EF8 corner lights
*EF8 side markers
*EF8 J's Racing hood / EF8 OEM style fiberglass hood
*EF8 front bumper
*EE8 EDM glass headlights
*EF8 OEM service tags for doors, and under hood
*EF8 JDM headlights retrofitted w/ E55 bi-xenon projectors and shrouds
*The Retrofit Source Bi-xenon plug and play harness
*OEM EF8 fenders
*Password JDM EF8 carbon fiber lip
*JDMSh!t EF8 polyurethane lip
*Vision EF8 carbon fiber mirrors
*OEM Honda 91 door moldings, gaskets, seals (lots or brand new OEM goodies)
*Spoon Sports wiper brades
*Spoon Sports windshield banner
*Spoon Sports rear window banner
*Spoon Sports license plate in yellow and blue
-WHEELS-
*Sprint Heart Formula CPR's 16x7 +38
*Volk Rays SE37K's 16x7+33
*Work Meister's 16x7+27

Lots more to get...

Here was the daily... '98 ITR #0179

See less See more
#652 ·
shorty_boy said:
Man, that made me really miss Japan. I wish i could go back. Trying to look into getting a reasearch job at one of the universities. I need to make a good score on the JLPT though. Have not had to use Japanese in a while.
I am enjoying myself out here for sure, only have a little less than a year left so I have to get all that I can out of it.
TYetti said:
Sorry to hear about the hood smashing the windshield :cry:
But damn that Silvia is looks bad freaking ass :)b
Luckily its only the windshield that really took any damage. Sucks but its my own fault for not checking over the car before ripping on it haha.
Thank you, I'm really enjoying the 13 now that I have a few parts on it.
shorty_boy said:
^ i know right. I like the the s14s and the s15s minus the tail lights (but i do like those aftermarkets) but that 13 is looking mighty fine. I wish Bannister was coming to Whidbey so that i can ogle at his JDMness.
haha, thanks man, yeah the 15 tails are hideous as far as stock goes. I liked the red/clears and what I did with the cheesy Altezza looking ones with spraying them all red. One of my boys (Highwaystar Ollie) is out there as of two months ago. He has an ITR on CCW's and Advan RGII's for track duties.
sloppyclock said:
Awesome build BannisteR, one of my favorite CRXs of all time and the S13 looks so nice. Loving the aero bumper on it. Way better than the other one factory one that Nissan made for it.
Thank you, CRX Isn't done yet, still a good amount of work to put in on her. I love the Aero bumper on the S13, had to have that bumper and projectors. I'm wanting to swap back to the dual projectors again lol
JDMCrx91 said:
Did you got Circuit Sports LED tailights? If so, please, pleaseeeee pics of them on and brake on! I wanna see if they are the same as the D Max led tailights! If so ill be saving some cash! CS$165 vs D-Max led$350+
Yes they are the Circuit Sports ones. I bought the non-LED D-max tails before I bought the LED ones and they are made by the same manufacture (sadly I paid about the same for the non-LED D-max as I did for LED CS). I also picked up another set of taillights that I'll share a little bit later, they as well have the same markings on them as the D-max and CS tails. Enjuku FTW!

#656 ·
Long overdue updates, I've been slacking terribly..
Well I have found a few parts for the CRX so not everything out here was for an S-chasss lol. If you follow me on instagram you may have seen the hood I picked up! I found a J's Racing carbon hood, it has seen better days and had terrible hood pins that were corroded on it. I drilled out the rivets that were holding the crappy pins in place and wet sanded the oxidation and hard water stains that were on it. Still nothing to where I want it to be, but its better looking than it was lol. I have a set of Aerocatch latches for the hood when I do get back. I also picked up a super clean OEM SiR hood just in case I don't like the J's and cant get my fiberglass OEM style hood fixed. I was also able to find another set of bumper lights, and a clean set of window switch bezels. My current ones in the car are a very light grey, these ones are the darker grey :)b

With the J's hood I decided I needed a couple more J's parts so I took a trip to Super Autobacs to pick up some J's accessories. Picked up the weighted shift knob, shift pattern sticker, gold badge and the waza stickers.

And last I'll share the wheels I'm going to be rebuilding. VOLK GRC 16x8+38 and 16x7+35. They came off my Silvia when I first bought the car. Yes S13 Silvias are 4x114.3, these wheels are 4x100 :shock: The car had 15mm 4x114.3 to 4x100 adapter spacers and they were Honda thread studs so the lugs would fit. I thought of selling them and almost did, but decided these would look good on the car once rebuilt.

And for those that care to hear about the Silvia...
Lots of new parts have been collected. Including a couple new sets of wheels. One of which I just had powdercoated, 17x10+20 and 17x9+18 Desmond Regamaster Promadas. New center caps and valve stems were bought for them as well. The others I'm in the process of rebuilding and will reveal when they are on the car. The old and tired CA18DET has decided it doesn't like oil, she leaks oil, smokes like a chief and is quite an embarrassment leaving smoke trails everywhere. Ive been chasing leaks and broken hoses since purchasing the car (it sat for 10 years before receiving my abuse) so I purchased another CA block and bought all new seals, gaskets, and hoses. Sadly once again my work schedule is too hectic to do the work myself, I had the motor shipped to a friends shop and last week dropped off the car to receive the new heart and a few more upgrades :biggrin:

shorty_boy said:
I have not seen Ollie out here yet but I did see a RHD Trueno out here. There is a guy here who has a 96 Chaser <- very JDM and very much illegal I suspect.
My buddy Rich (Garagespec) just moved out there not too long ago, he has a R30 skyline, very 80's and very dope! Panda paint scheme with large overfenders and deeeeeeeep Watanabe R's. Man I would love to legally own a JZX100 Chaser, they are monsters! For now I'll stick with my '89 Silbeer :wink:
EF8Zackrj said:
I love your rex, it is an inspiration to make a rex as well as yours
Thank you very much! She's still not done but I very much appreciate the words sir. I remember when I first purchased the car, the guys I looked up to and their cars were 408woody (Honda-Tech days) and his RHD converted dumped on its ass hatch. Rywire's CRX and ChaseBays's (EF8kid) CRX. The attention to detail and quality work put into the cars at that time were top notch and something I strive for.
zexalm said:
Looks absolutely gorgeous!
Thanks a lot!

#659 ·
I don't have much for updates, I went home last week (California) and visited with family. I did bring a few things to the states but didn't do much with the CRX
really. I installed my TheRetrofitSource H4 HID kit in the EDM headlights and they worked wonderful once I figured out my missing and switched fuses in the fuse box. Turns out when you don't have fuses in certain slots, those items don't work. Also being in kanji I wasn't able to read exactly what the slots were for haha. So once I got all that taken care of, I had hi/low beams, running lights and turn signals. I bought a carbon vent a little while back, and its also pictured in the photo with the J's hood. I wanted to mount it where the drivers signal lens goes and luckily I had a spare one that was cracked so I could hack it up to make it fit.

Nothing too exciting, and it's not 100% yet, just cut and taped. Once I get back to the states I'll mount it up and epoxy them together. The bulb section has been lost with this in place so I'll probably cut and mount two 194 bulb slots on either side of the vent to make it still functional with lighting.

dmlemus said:
Nice J's stuff! :)b
Thanks Dani!
vanrij said:
Very nice. The Volks will look good on the CRX!
I'm excited to get a staggered setup on her, maybe give me more ideas for a set of wheels I already have :shock:

#661 ·
Man I am terrible with updates and replies. Been on deployment since June, a brief trip home in July, then back to join my ship. However in my downtime, I did find a set of OEM EF8 fenders so I can get rid of the Password fenders. Not much else to get for the CRX, just get back to the states and figure out the little bugs and get her ready to paint.
crxtone said:
Love the wheels and J's hood. Do you plan on keeping the wheels black/polished?
Thanks man! The lips and center hexes I'll re-polish, I haven't decided on what color to do the centers just yet.

#663 ·
sloppyclock said:
Are you going to sell the PW:JDM fenders? If so let me know, I want to do a little experiment but I don't want to cut up OEM fenders.
I have a feeling I know what you are looking to do, as I was thinking the same.. J's style lol. Once I get back to the car I will be selling them though. I have no use for them with having OEMs

#664 ·
BannisteR said:
sloppyclock said:
Are you going to sell the PW:JDM fenders? If so let me know, I want to do a little experiment but I don't want to cut up OEM fenders.
I have a feeling I know what you are looking to do, as I was thinking the same.. J's style lol. Once I get back to the car I will be selling them though. I have no use for them with having OEMs
You guessed right, I want to run Js flares and cut the bottom part of the fender off

#666 ·
So I'm back in the states again, and VA for the next few years again. So hopefully I'll get the chance to get back to work on the CRX and get some new parts that I was able to pick up while in Japan :)b The Silvia is on her way to the states (Super slow btw.) I took a few pics of her before I pulled all the parts off and at the shipping dock.

And "stock" at the shipping yard

sloppyclock said:
You guessed right, I want to run J's flares and cut the bottom part of the fender off
Nice, they would be a perfect candidate for that :)b
gabrielsousa said:
are you still using the s2000 cluster on CRX ? Did you make a bezel ?
I will be running it, I have yet to complete my wiring and making a bezel for it. That's on the laundry list of projects for it when I get back to working on the CRX lol.

#672 ·
What a hectic past few months it has been, both cars are now under one roof and getting along just fine. I picked up a new vehicle for both daily and towing purposes, an 09 Toyota 4Runner. Made the trek from California to VA again with the CRX on a trailer. Made it in about 46 hours, stopping for a total of about 4 hours for naps and breaks. I've swapped over the fenders from the PW:JDM's to the OEM EF8 fenders. I test fitted the J's Racing carbon hood as well. The Silvia came in about three weeks ago, so I've been slowly putting parts back on her. First thing to do was to lower the car back down to an acceptable height and throw on a set of wheels. I'll have pics up this weekend, this thread is in much need of CRX pics and updates.

Claysonw said:
That silvia is nice. :)b I'm Jelly.
Thank you! Its a head turner for sure driving around here, even in Japan it was turning heads from OGsan's lol
sloppyclock said:
Let me know when you're ready to sell :)
I'll hit you up on IG
AZCRXSI said:
Welcome back! :)b
Nice toy you are bringing back...
Are you going to track the container ship the Silvia is on? That is always fun to watch it cross the pond...
Thank you, and yes I am real stoked to be able to bring a few pieces of Japan back with me.
I wasn't able to track the car as they didn't tell me the ship or anything it was on but I was on the phone with the shipper the past three weeks before it arrived. It was literally 5 weeks after clearing customs in CA before it made its way to VA by truck. I swear they used the slowest transportation possible.
shorty_boy said:
nice man. Glad to have you back in the states. Please lock the silvia up.
Its nice to be back, but at the same time I already miss Japan and all of the car stuff there. Oh she is!
vanrij said:
Welcome back!
Thanks!!!

#673 ·
Back with a couple updates..
Started by pulling of the Password:JDM fenders to put the OEM EF8 fenders on. Just putting them on was a world of difference, the gaps were correct, the corners fit as they would, just all around a better fit, as would be expected with OEM parts..

Next I attempted to install my new coilovers I picked up while in Japan as well. I say attempted because I'm in need of one key element... Tophats... My ground control extended top hats wont work with these, so I put an order in for some Tein pillow ball mounts. I'm also going to finally install these Hardrace upper control arms so I can have a little camber adjustment as well.

The J's Racing hood I picked up while out there, is now on the car, I'm going to need to drill and cut into it and I'm avoiding it like the plague. I'm not afraid of cutting into the hood, its cutting into the car lol.

Other than that I've been messing around with the Silvia, I lowered it back down to an acceptable height and put the BBS LM's back on the car. It as well is receiving some parts that I've had for a while that I never got around to putting on while in Japan. And there is more to come for both cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.