Honda CRX Forum banner

How to remove the stock antenna for car wash?

7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Archie 
#1 ·
Recently, the stock antenna for my '89 CRX got bent in a car wash, I straightened it back out.
Is there a way to unscrew or remove just the metal antenna part?

My antenna is like this one, it doesn't go fully inside the body, it can be retracted to about 20cm of lenght.

See less See more
#3 ·
It's pretty flimsy metal, so if it bent, the kink will most likely always be there. It's probably always going to have to be coaxed in slowly and deliberately so you don't do any more damage.

But yes, do what msc said in Baker's link. That would at least help. And no, you can't just remove the metal part. I have never seen one (I use Sirius only and don't have an antenna anymore, so have no idea about current antenna stuff), but you might want to search and see if anyone here has gotten a smaller fixed antenna to work on their CRX; that would be a much better solution.

#4 ·
tommy said:
It's pretty flimsy metal, so if it bent, the kink will most likely always be there. It's probably always going to have to be coaxed in slowly and deliberately so you don't do any more damage.
It's horribly cheap, like something you would find on an old AM/FM portable radio.
I had no plans to listen to the actual radio in this car, so when I had my Crx, I unscrewed the antenna cover, cut the antenna out and used the factory block off plate.
If I ever, for some reason wanted to listen to over the air radio again, I would simply use one of those "hidden" antenna kits.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29885

#5 ·
Thanks for the answers :oops:

Maybe it was supposed to retract all the way in before and was just stuck half-way, but it definitely doesn't want to go in anymore, it's too damaged.

I just need to replace it then. I don't really need a radio, but I want to keep the stock look, because the car is all original otherwise. :)

#11 ·
I found a replacement antenna, from a rallycross CRX that didn't need it, for a couple euros. :)

Installing it was easy after getting the antenna wire disconnected from all the crap under the dash.
Just attached some string on the end of the old wire, pulled it out through the antenna hole, then attached the new antenna wire and pulled it back from the other end of the string.

Also bought a ton of parts from the same car, it apparently was a really nice restored original before having a front-end crash and ending up as a race car :(
The heater blower that I got from it was warped, must have been a serious impact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.