Honda CRX Forum banner

B-series swap: axle combinations and information

92K views 70 replies 28 participants last post by  ale5six1 
#1 ·
Here I will attempt to address any and all issues that come up when trying to figure out what axles to buy for your B-series swap in an 88-91 CRX. NOTE: This article applies to a CRX chassis with factory D-series engine that was swapped out. EDM/JDM (EE8/EF8) chassis with factory B16 engines should seek alternate advice, or simply rebuild your existing axles.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what B-series engine or transmission you have installed in your car, the axle fitment comes down to the intermediate shaft that you have. For the transmission side of the car, any 1990-2001 Integra non-ABS axle will fit. If you have ABS axles you'll just need to remove the ABS ring; knock it off with a chisel and a hammer. The driver's side is where it gets tricky.

If you have a 1st gen (OBD-0) B16A swap that came with a Y1 transmission, you very likely have a Y1/SH3 intermediate shaft. Or, if you have discovered that 1990-1993 Integra axles don't fit or bind on the driver's side, you probably have a Y1/SH3 intermediate shaft. In this case, you have a few options for a new driver's side axle.

• 1. If you already have the appropriate length Y1 (SiR) driver's side axle, you can buy new CV joint components for a 1990-1993 Integra and rebuild your current axle.

2. You can build a custom driveshaft using an 88-89 Integra axle with a 90-93 Integra outboard CV joint.

3. You can call Raxles and order hybrid swap axles. The part number is RAXBGEN4Y1. They will only sell these as a pair, and the cost is $320 for both axles. Much overpriced in my opinion, but it's one of the only places you can buy an SiR driver's side axle rebuilt with new components.

4. You can buy a 90-93 or 94-01 Integra intermediate shaft and buy a driver's side Integra axle of the same year. If you go this route, you must get a 5-speed mid-shaft, automatics won't work. Also, if you're using a 94+ mid-shaft on a cable transmission, you'll need a new 94+ seal where it enters the tranny. The Honda part number for this seal is 91205-PL3-A01.

Ok, now with that out of the way, there are only two other varieties of intermediate shaft. The most common is the 1990-1993 Integra, in which case you simply use 90-93 Integra axles. If your swap has a cable transmission other than a Y1 (S1, A1, J1, YS1) then you probably have one of these.

The other variety is the 94+ Integra intermediate shaft, which is very easy to spot because it has a male end on both sides. If you bought a swap which came with a hydraulic transmission you most likely have one of these. In this case, 1994-2001 Integra axles will work.

If your swap was pieced together, or if you are unable to determine which intermediate shaft is in your car, here's how you can tell:

The SiR (Y1) intermediate shaft is on top, the 90-93 Integra intermediate shaft is on the bottom.

The Y1/SiR intermediate shaft is stamped "SH3" above the female end, and the 90-93 Integra mid-shaft is stamped "SK7-J" in the same spot. It's hard to see in this picture, but this one says SH3.

You can break out the measuring tape too, this is an SH3. An SK7-J shaft is about 5/8" shorter.

*A note for HF cars: If you are doing a B-series swap into a CRX HF, you will need to upgrade your knuckles. It's a good idea not just for the brake upgrade, but because the HF hubs simply won't accept the larger B-series axles. Knuckles from a CRX Si, 90/91 Civic Ex or 90-93 Integra are all solid choices.

*A note for 90-93 Integra intermediate shafts: The SK7-J is the manual transmission variety that you need. An SK7-N is for an automatic.

If you are having trouble seating the axles into the hubs when using CRX Dx or Si knuckles, first make sure there is no ABS ring on the axle, and then remove the dust shield from the inside of the hub. It pops off with a screwdriver.

See less See more
#5 ·
Also, if you have an older tranny, and somehow get a hold of a 94+ intermediate shaft, you'll NEED to change out the seal in the tranny for the intermediate shaft. its a slightly different size, and will leak out fluid.

Also, be VERY aware what intermediate shaft you buy... automatic transmissions use a different int shaft that won't bolt up to a manual transmission.

#6 ·
Thank you very much for putting this together jfrolang!

ComposiMo said:
Also, if you have an older tranny, and somehow get a hold of a 94+ intermediate shaft, you'll NEED to change out the seal in the tranny for the intermediate shaft. its a slightly different size, and will leak out fluid.
Happen to have a P/N or application so I can get the correct seal?

#8 ·
ComposiMo said:
Also, be VERY aware what intermediate shaft you buy... automatic transmissions use a different int shaft that won't bolt up to a manual transmission.
This is so true as I leaned the hard way tonight.

90-93 Ls halfshaft stamped numbers

Auto--SK7-N
Manual--SK7-J

If youre having problems aligning your trans to fit your shaft and block you probally have an auto shaft. It will never work. The auto sits futher off the back of the block than the manual one does.

Billy

#10 ·
Since were on the topic.... I have a swap done in my car and the passenger side axle boot pulls off and comes loose right after i put it one and drive the car. the boot stays on but is loose. I believe i have integra from 92 or something like that...... has anyone ever had this problem before. Thanks

#12 ·
crxkiller88 said:
Since were on the topic.... I have a swap done in my car and the passenger side axle boot pulls off and comes loose right after i put it one and drive the car. the boot stays on but is loose. I believe i have integra from 92 or something like that...... has anyone ever had this problem before. Thanks
There are metal straps that hold the boots in place, sounds like one of them is loose. I believe that you can buy those straps separately, but I don't know if you need any special tools to install them. I've never rebuilt an axle.

#14 ·
bad306lx said:
This may be a retarded question, but where is this intermediate shaft? I just re-installed my stock axles after putting a new motor in, and all there is is a driver and passenger axle?
D-series engines generally don't have intermediate shafts, the one exception is the JDM ZC drivetrain. You have a longer driver's side axle to make up the difference.

#19 ·
same thing i was thinking....i talk to a guy and he said he has the right axle so im gonna pull it off sometime this week and put them next to each other and maybe ive got the wrong one....at least im hopeing cause if not i got a problem. i see you posting all the time... oyu have any ideas on my timing problem post i just put up on the modification garage? Thanks for the help.

#26 ·
I just went to junkyard and I was going to get this half shaft from a teg w/ manual tranny, so I took em off and there it is stamped SK7-J but then I was curious about the auto ones and I went to look for a teg w/ auto trans in it. I'm in luck and found one then I took the shafl from the auto one and yes it stamped SK7-N the I compare this 2 and bang, it is the same lenght same size no difference except for the stamp. And I diside not to get it cause I already have one that is stamped SK7-N

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.