Honda CRX Forum banner

BannisteR's '90 EF8 SiR Glasstop Build.

177K views 741 replies 122 participants last post by  Nar 
#1 ·
Hello CRXcommunity.com, I'm BannisteR and here is my project car.
I picked her up December of 07 as a stripped shell. The shell was in great shape, no body rot or rust and had paperwork. Hasn't been registered stateside yet. She had doors, dash, carpet, hatch and haggard suspension. Picked up a set of HX wheels to roll her onto the tailor to get home and roll around in the garage. I'm currently stationed in VA and the car is in Cali safe in the garage. I will be getting hot and heavy into the build up of her very shortly as ill be bringing her out to VA so I will have ample time to work on it.
Most current state as of September '10:

Just a few of the parts that I've been collecting...

Few other pics...

Here's a rundown of the parts I've put on/ collected so far
-INTERIOR-
*EF8 door cards
*EF8 power windows
*EF8 rear interior including rear seat and bass tubes
*EF8 access floor mats
*Custom "personal box" w/ yellow flocking
*Custom "coin tray" w/ yellow flocking
*AP1 cluster with Qube engineering LED conversion (white)
*DC2 ITR black w/ yellow stitch shift boot
*NRG short hub
*Works Bell quick release
*Personal Black w/ yellow stitching wheel / Vertex 10 star in blue
*Spoon Sports Ti knob / Vertex white delrin / J's burnt Ti
*Spoon Sports DC2 rear view mirror insert
*DC2 rear view mirror
*Mugen DC2 mirror cover in NH-0
*Bride EF8 seat rails
*Spoon Reclneable seat
-SUSPENSION/BRAKES-
*EF8 miracle X crossbar
*EF/ITR Function7 lower control arms
*Fortune Auto 500 coilovers w/ Swift spring upgrade.
*HardRace upper control arms
*HardRace rear camber kit
*HardRace EF bushing kit
*Full Race front cross member/ traction bar
*ASR EF rear sway bar and subframe brace
*Spoon Sports EF8 rigid collar kit
*Spoon Sports EF front strut bar / Circuit Sports strut bar
*Spoon Sports EG/DC rear lower tie bar
*Spoon Sports EG6 torque damper
*Wilwood 4 piston w/ 11" rotors (front)
*Wilwood large single piston parking brake calipers w/ 11" rotors (rear)
*Goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines
*H&R extended studs
*Powder coated gunmetal suspension components
-MOTOR/PERF-
*'98 USDM B18C5 w/ OEM ITR 81.25 pistons
*ITR head
*USDM ITR Trans
*ACL race bearings
*Buddy Club Spec II exhaust
*Password JDM battery relocate kit
*Spoon Sports DC2 Radiator hoses
*Spoon Sports 4-2-1 header
*Spoon Sports radiator cap
*Spoon Sports oil cap
*Spoon Sports carbon kevlar spark plug cover
*Spoon Sports thermostat switch
*Spoon Sports thermostat
*Spoon Sports gen2 cam gears
*Spoon Sports high tension cords
*Spoon Sports heat barrier tape
*Spoon Sports radiator stays
*Spoon Sports drain and oil plug
*Spoon Sports head gasket
*M's Factory Sport injection kit (ITB's)
*Skunk2 tuner stage 2 cams
*Skunk2 valve springs
*Skunk2 Ti retainers
*Skunk2 composite fuel rail
*Skunk2 VTEC solenoid
*Skunk2 VTEC solenoid cap
*Skunk2 cam seal
*Skunk2 valve cover flush mount bolts
*Hondata intake manifold gasket
*Hasport EFB2 mounts
*Hasport shift linkage
*Hasport axles
*C&R radiator
-EXTERIOR-
*EE8 EDM taillights w/ rear fog light
*EF8 Honda Access visors
*EF8 bumper lights
*EF8 corner lights
*EF8 side markers
*EF8 J's Racing hood / EF8 OEM style fiberglass hood
*EF8 front bumper
*EE8 EDM glass headlights
*EF8 OEM service tags for doors, and under hood
*EF8 JDM headlights retrofitted w/ E55 bi-xenon projectors and shrouds
*The Retrofit Source Bi-xenon plug and play harness
*OEM EF8 fenders
*Password JDM EF8 carbon fiber lip
*JDMSh!t EF8 polyurethane lip
*Vision EF8 carbon fiber mirrors
*OEM Honda 91 door moldings, gaskets, seals (lots or brand new OEM goodies)
*Spoon Sports wiper brades
*Spoon Sports windshield banner
*Spoon Sports rear window banner
*Spoon Sports license plate in yellow and blue
-WHEELS-
*Sprint Heart Formula CPR's 16x7 +38
*Volk Rays SE37K's 16x7+33
*Work Meister's 16x7+27

Lots more to get...

Here was the daily... '98 ITR #0179

See less See more
#678 ·
Update with the coilovers... I ordered the two different part numbers for the tophats, PRH08-31S60 and PRH08-31S70 according to Tein's website one is for the front and the other for the rear. Well they are the same, all the same hardware... So if you are needing Tein tophats, you can order two sets of either P/N.
With one collar taken out and adjusted all the way down, the car sits a little bit lower than stock. Once again, I'm in the market for some coilovers. They are a real nice design, but I would like to be about 2 inches lower than these coilovers can do.

fraglerock said:
Amazing... looking forward to more updates.
Thank you!
sloppyclock said:
Did you hook up the ebrake cables for the Wilwood kit in the rear? I know they're slightly longer than stock so I'm curious on how you did it.
Yes I used the wildwood kit, the cables are looped a little longer between the shell and the tank.
Crxhenson said:
Welcome back to VA! Hope I get to see these beauties in person some time. I'm working on a local crx meet. Hopefully you can make it.
Thanks man, well the Silvia will be at Springfest 6 at the Virginia Beach convention center on June 6th. It will be at the Sumospeed booth.
rickapl said:
O I like the sound of a VA CRX meet that would be cool, but you'd have to do a goood job of spreading the word.
Yeah that would be nice, depends on when it is and if I'd bring mine out.

#679 ·
If only it was functional at this height ...

Here are a couple pics from when I was putting the Teins together as ell as the Hardrace uppers.

Also snapped a couple pics of the 4Runner after I installed some Bilsteins as well as the new TRD Pro wheels 8)

#681 ·
Nothing too exciting has been going on with the car lately, I did however receive a part in the mail I've been waiting on for a little over two years, yes you read that right two years. I had chalked it up as a lost cause but my brother hit me up saying I got something in a tube in the mail... Well it was from Hardware909. The billet oil dipstick finished in anodized black. I'll get pics this weekend of it and the slow progress on the car.
I've pulled the TEIN Street Advance Dampers off the car as they do not get as low as I like the car to be. there is about an inch of wheel gap. Where I know that would be "functional" I like to be low, with minimal wheel gap. So my next set of coilovers I plan on picking up are Fortune Auto 500 with Swift springs. They are a great combo and have a set on the Silvia. Great customer service and their warehouse is within an hour distance from me.
I've also run into an issue of little to no fuel pressure. when I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump prime, then shut off, I then turn the car over where its very hesitant to turn over. I noticed that the fuel pressure was around 20psi when attempting to turn the car over, now its around 4psi... Everything fuel wise was replaced when the motor was dropped in. Hopefully its something dumb and can be corrected easily...

dmlemus said:
good looking suspension setup :)b
Thank you, they looked very promising and I was stoked to find them when I did, but sadly they aren't up to my standards when installed on the car.

#683 ·
Haven't done much with the CRX lately, most of my attention has been focused on the Silvia. This weekend I wanted to do more but the weather has been straight garbage. Drilled holes for the aerocatch latches and cut holes in the hood for them to mount on the hood. I still need to drill the holes to mount them to the hood but the hardest part is out of the way.

I swapped the tires from the CPR's to a set of Work Meisters I picked up when I was in Japan. They are 16x7+27, fronts have the 10mm spacer and rears are no spacer. They fit awesome on the car.

Josip said:
Got any pictures of that combo of Fortune Auto 500?
I don't have any suspension just yet. I had a lead on a set but moved too slow, they sold before I could purchase them.

#685 ·
If you caught in one of the previous pictures in the back vent of the hood you may or may not have noticed something a little different in place of the Skunk2 manifold setup. Another piece I've been keeping somewhat quiet until it was on the car was a set of M's Factory ITB's off a DC2 ITR. They were used and came with almost everything to be "bolt in," I cleaned them up and swapped out the fuel setup for my current and polished up the horns a little. Car fires up with them but I still need to figure out some sensor placement and clean up of the rest of the bay. Overall I'm quite pleased with how they look in the bay, I'll have to get the car re-tuned to feel the difference and cannot wait.

I should have a couple more updates next week :fingers crossed:
Stay tuned...

Josip said:
Well it doesnt matter if you didn't catch those suspension. Btw, car looks really nice, even with that dust on the hood! :bounce:
Is that real carbon?
Edit : Do you have flickr acc?
I should have that worked out shortly, and yes real carbon. J's Racing hood only fiberglass portion is the minimal skeleton underside of the hood.
All these pics are posted from my filckr

#688 ·
This past week/end has been busy as hell. I received a few parts in the mail, one of which was a bran new ITR valve cover. Good ole UPS played catch with it and it was destroyed by the time it came to the house :evil: Luckily the seller is awesome and is getting it all sorted out and sending me a new one. Two other items came in the mail as well for it which I'll be sharing in the near future (delivered by UPS and not damaged :shock: )

Josip said:
Uh, I bet you got some freakin sound from those ITB's. Right? :bounce:
PM me your flickr?
I started the car with them and shut it off, no coolant hooked up at the moment, but they do sound pretty awesome.
FlickR is abannister6, nothing too fancy on there lol
crxtone said:
Thanks Tony!

#689 ·
One piece I'm stoked to have finally arrived in the mail the other day is my new coilovers. Yes this is the third set of new coilovers for the car, but these are it. Custom ordered Fortune Auto 500 series with optional Swift Springs. I ordered them when I went to their open house meet a few weekends back. Got a little attention with the Silvia there as well :wink:

I should be installing them sometime this week.

And a shot of the two girls together. Beauty and the beast if you will...

I'll be slowly plugging away at the CRX and prepping the Silvia for next month and possibly be re-tuned before then. Still the CRX is on the back burner for attention...

#690 ·
Very nice! That's the setup I'm interested in.

Can you post what rates you got, how the install went, how you like 'em after you've had them on a while?

Am driving right by them in a couple of weeks and thinking about dropping by to discuss what i'll probably be ordering in the spring with them.

#691 ·
Not that its tough to put coilovers on, but I got them in on Saturday.

Cleaned all the dust off from cutting the holes for the Aerocatch latches as well

Awaiting a new throttle cable bracket to be made so I can put that into position for the ITB's.
Once I get the Silvia ready for Simply Clean in FL I'll be back to focusing on the CRX. Getting all the wiring straightened out and preps for paint (whenever that may be)

tommy said:
Very nice! That's the setup I'm interested in.
Can you post what rates you got, how the install went, how you like 'em after you've had them on a while?
Am driving right by them in a couple of weeks and thinking about dropping by to discuss what i'll probably be ordering in the spring with them.
They are a very nice setup, have them on the Silvia as well, just didn't get the Swift spring upgrade with them. The spring rates are 12 and 8.
Review wont be anytime soon as the car isn't registered and really hasn't been driven in a few years, and that was pretty much around the block...

#696 ·
ghg78 said:
Is the buddy club still super loud with the silencer in it?
Its loud but without the silencer its LOUD! Still could use an Apexi ECV or something to minimize the flow when needed (passing police, pulling into neighborhoods that are quiet)

jdmhondamotive said:
awesome build bro! nice 4th gen Runner. I too have a lifted Runner, 3rd Gen though. Keep up the good work!
Thank you! and that's a nice looking 3rd gen :)b

Crxhenson said:
Will you be painting while car the color of the bay?
Yes the car will eventually match the bay (Championship White)

#697 ·
BannisteR said:
ghg78 said:
Is the buddy club still super loud with the silencer in it?
Its loud but without the silencer its LOUD! Still could use an Apexi ECV or something to minimize the flow when needed (passing police, pulling into neighborhoods that are quiet)
Good call on the ECV. Totally forgot about that. Thanks for the input, I think that made up my mind on what exhaust to run.

#698 ·
Back again with a couple updates! Ive been slacking as it seems to be the norm sadly. Not a whole lot of new things but little is better than none. First off I'd like to thank the homie mportedcivicsi(NWP) for the opportunity to purchase one of my dream parts. Never would I have thought I'd sit in one let alone purchase for my own project a Spoon reclineable seat. Only crappy thing is its just one, and I need another so my interior will be complete again.. On to other parts/updates Ive been laying out how I'm mounting up and hooking up my AP1 cluster as well as getting the wiring figured out for it. Wiring is not my specialty and I dislike it with a passion :? I also will be adding a defi display to read things with a little more accuracy, more of that later...

Spoon goodness!

I'm also a huge fan of Vertex steering wheels, I bought my first Vertex while I was in Japan and since have purchased 6+ Vertex steering wheels. My favorite has always been the 10 star and I finally found a blue 10 star for a steal!

Decided to move her from the neglected side of the garage so I have a little more room to work on her. So far I haven't utilized this space to work on it...

Yes, I did cut my Spoon hoses to put in a temp sensor adapter. Why, because gauges are super do'n it that's why.

#701 ·
*** STUPID SILVIA ***

Once again the Silvia has taken my funds/time/patience. I took it out for a drive and while cruising down the highway it started sputtering.. I pulled off and started troubleshooting. being that it was a misfire/sputter I went straight to the coil packs and plugs. Pulled all of them inspected the coil packs and cleaned the spark plugs (weren't dirty but just to be safe) swapped around coil packs as well and still no change. I checked the ECU and it was throwing a code for knock sensor. At that point I had it towed home. Discouraged and pissed off I let the car sit for about two weeks before taking a look at it. Troubleshot for a good two weeks, changing out parts, cleaning, checking continuity and voltages. I swapped parts out with known good to include MAF, ECU, Knock sensor, Plugs, Temp Sensor, ignition module, relays.... And then compression test with 0psi on cylinder #4. Then did a leakdown test to find that the exhaust side was leaking right through. So with that I had it with the CA motor, this is #2 and rebuilding this one is not what I wanted to do. I had found a great deal on a slight upgrade and picked up and S15 SR20 with 6 speed trans.

*** CRX UPDATES ***

In that deal I also sourced a complete EF7 wiring harness that had power options as well as a cleaner set of doors in preparation for less bodywork. Now I'm not needing to hack up the harness to attempt to wire in power windows.

vanrij said:
Nice find on the Spoon reclinable seat. Those are hard to come by! I hope you find another one, but if not your Recaros are pretty bad ass too.
Yeah man for sure, I may have found a bucket but now to make the decision to sell my Recaros to get this bucket.
Hondateam said:
Would you like to see my CRX?
uh...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.