(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby AZCRXSI » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:08 am

Took him out for a night drive while shopping. He is running well but I fear the clutch is growing weak. The last thing I want to do is replace the clutch (time or $$$) on the D16 but we shall see. Timing is everything and funds are headed in other directions currently.

Image
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
User avatar
AZCRXSI
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:12 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby tommy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Maybe Santa will be good to you! :wink:

Must be nice to drive it year-round.
1990 ZcSi
User avatar
tommy
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: Westwood, NJ

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby ngrif2020 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:15 pm

AZCRXSI wrote:Took him out for a night drive while shopping. He is running well but I fear the clutch is growing weak. The last thing I want to do is replace the clutch (time or $$$) on the D16 but we shall see. Timing is everything and funds are headed in other directions currently.

Image


I will take it off your hands :D

(I'm serious... please let me have it)
ngrif2020
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby blue90ZC » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:09 pm

i read through your whole build thread and loved the attention to detail and all the stuff you covered, and how clean it was after you were done with everything!, these are the types of build posts i like, and always inspire me to want to do more to my crx, things you did, which i never think of doing, such as detailing the suspension and wheel well areas, (except i did spray a few layers of undercoating/sound dampen stuff in my wheel wells and under car, i have replaced most of my suspension parts like control arms, balljoints, rear trailing arm bushings, etc..., and put new steering rack not too too long ago, but my kyb gr-2 shocks and H&R soft sport springs (only .75" drop), are old now cause i installed them in 2003, and would be way better if i got new shocks/springs, but this time i just want oem springs with oem ride height, cause i rather have that type of clearance, plus more comfort, but i have liked the kyb shocks and would get those again.

i also prefers the dual-tip, horizontal mounted muffler type of oem look on the crx, and have always got ones like that, or got them pieced together so they had it like that,

i also did that A/C climate control faceplate fix, and removed the whole unit and everything and epoxied the faceplate to the front of it, but first epoxied the cracked section of the unit, but could'nt believe later on the faceplate started peeling away from the climate control unit, after i put it all back, so now its halfway coming off of it, at an angle, so that sucks, but instead of removing it and all that crap, i think i'm just going to drill a small black screw in the left and right side so it is screwed against it good, and be done with it.

anyways, look forward to any updates to your crx, to see how it progresses..... :D
my 1st car = blue/gray 1986 CRX HF (had from 91-97)
my 2nd car = tahitian green 1991 CRX Si (had 97-98, totalled)
3rd & current car = white 1990 CRX Si, (98-present) painted dark blue, w/ ZC DOHC swap
car profile page : http://www.theautolog.com/darkbluzc-1
User avatar
blue90ZC
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:55 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby AZCRXSI » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:52 pm

blue90ZC wrote:i read through your whole build thread and loved the attention to detail and all the stuff you covered, and how clean it was after you were done with everything!, these are the types of build posts i like, and always inspire me to want to do more to my crx, things you did, which i never think of doing, such as detailing the suspension and wheel well areas, (except i did spray a few layers of undercoating/sound dampen stuff in my wheel wells and under car, i have replaced most of my suspension parts like control arms, balljoints, rear trailing arm bushings, etc..., and put new steering rack not too too long ago, but my kyb gr-2 shocks and H&R soft sport springs (only .75" drop), are old now cause i installed them in 2003, and would be way better if i got new shocks/springs, but this time i just want oem springs with oem ride height, cause i rather have that type of clearance, plus more comfort, but i have liked the kyb shocks and would get those again.

i also prefers the dual-tip, horizontal mounted muffler type of oem look on the crx, and have always got ones like that, or got them pieced together so they had it like that,

i also did that A/C climate control faceplate fix, and removed the whole unit and everything and epoxied the faceplate to the front of it, but first epoxied the cracked section of the unit, but could'nt believe later on the faceplate started peeling away from the climate control unit, after i put it all back, so now its halfway coming off of it, at an angle, so that sucks, but instead of removing it and all that crap, i think i'm just going to drill a small black screw in the left and right side so it is screwed against it good, and be done with it.

anyways, look forward to any updates to your crx, to see how it progresses..... :D


Thank you for the kind words. I can only hope to have inspired others through my build as others have inspired me to work on my build. There are not many left and most are beaten up badly. The wife dislikes driving him around town as we always stop and answer questions about him. But I like it. I like to see the interest he generates in others.

My big overhaul actually started out quite small. But it was a good refresher for me on working with him. As you start digging to replace something, there are all these good parts along the way that could be replaced. So you “might as well while you are in there…” Aside from the motor (248k) and fuel pump, it is like driving a CRX with 16k miles on the odometer. Very cool experience indeed.
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
User avatar
AZCRXSI
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:12 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby AZCRXSI » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:39 pm

Hit this today...

check/clean is coming up soon.

Image
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
User avatar
AZCRXSI
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:12 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby tommy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Congrats! Only one thousand, and you can put it out of its misery. :lol:

Just a warning - there is substantial rust on my Bosal tips on the insides that face each other. I'll take a pic and post it. Have driven the car about 100 miles since they were welded on (even says polished chrome, so should have known they were not SS and should have gone with an alternative). Looks like I'll have to go to Magnaflow SS versions before the Niagara meet. I'll try to polish them soon, but I think it's a lost cause by now.
1990 ZcSi
User avatar
tommy
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: Westwood, NJ

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby tommy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:11 am

Image

Here's the pic; I'm pretty bummed. It saw no road salt and a total of about 8 hours of rain at best. Magnaflow SS here I come. :evil:
1990 ZcSi
User avatar
tommy
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: Westwood, NJ

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby AZCRXSI » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 am

Wow, what a bummer. Sorry to hear this...

I have not had any issues with mine and its been 3.5yrs? I bet it has something to do with your location. Vehicles rarely if ever rust out here in AZ.

What a bummer. The placement looked good in back.
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
User avatar
AZCRXSI
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:12 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby tommy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 am

Yeah, I even liked the black labeling too. Oh well $75 plus welding and the problem will be resolved. If only all problems were that easy. :lol:
1990 ZcSi
User avatar
tommy
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: Westwood, NJ

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby Dave_Darling » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:55 pm

One thing for down the road a bit: The driver's side motor mount is a little messed up. The weld-nut for one of the large bolts is now just a nut, so you will have to get a wrench on it to counter-hold when you loosen or tighten it.

Yes, yes, you could say that I busted a nut... Or at least the welds that held the nut on.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
User avatar
Dave_Darling
 
Posts: 2693
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:04 pm
Location: Silly-con Valley

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby AZCRXSI » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Dave_Darling wrote:One thing for down the road a bit: The driver's side motor mount is a little messed up. The weld-nut for one of the large bolts is now just a nut, so you will have to get a wrench on it to counter-hold when you loosen or tighten it.

Yes, yes, you could say that I busted a nut... Or at least the welds that held the nut on.

--DD



haha No worries on the driver side mount. I replaced it back in 2014 when I did the passenger side axle and trans fluid swap. It is in there now even after swapping the timing belt and water pump.

I am suspicious of the driver side axle now. When I get up to speed on the freeways, there is a slight vibration. Once I am able to get him off the ground and take a peek, then I can see if I need to order a new axle.

Might coordinate both activities at the same time. (axle and trans fluid)
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
User avatar
AZCRXSI
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:12 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Previous

Return to The Showroom

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 19 guests

cron