Honda CRX Forum banner

Rear-ended -- Is car fixable?

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  webbrowan 
#1 ·
My 1990 CRX SI was rear-ended in November. I finally have an offer from my insurer, either to keep the car or let them take it away. I'm the original owner, so I hate to let it go, but the auto body shop says the rear right frame rail is damaged and has to be replaced. Insurance offer is about $3000 to keep, and estimate to fix is about $4500 assuming the frame rail parts can be found. Car is in good shape except for rear end damage.

Any thoughts on whether this is fixable? Or where to order OEM frame parts?

#3 ·
Original owner - ouch. That's rough losing a faithful old companion like that.

The frame rail parts are not available. The only cost effective fix is to get a clean shell and drop the good parts from your old vehicle into it.

If you happened to own a hot rod shop or something, sure, there's nothing that can't be fixed with enough fresh metal, welding, and a frame rack. But you can buy a clean SI for $3k and keep your original as a parts car.

#5 ·
I've had my crx for 13 years been in a few accidents and she is still running smooth. All I'm going to say is that anything is fixable, as long as you want it bad enough.

I will never quit on mine.

Good luck!

#7 ·
Baker said:
omyhonda said:
I've had my crx for 13 years been in a few accidents and she is still running smooth!
Severity and location matter....
These cars being smacked in the rear, especially at $4500 damage estimate, it has to be pretty severe.
Part it, keep the parts that you want and find anther shell.
It does. In my case the insurance wanted to total it. I got hit on the rear panel, barely broke my taillight, and the estimates were from 2900 to 3300. They said it wasn't worth it because of the car's market value. Luckily I knew a guy that is very good at what he does and he said he could do it for way less. All the sudden it was doable. Point is, I think sometimes people quit to easily. And I get why, but I also know they are disappearing...

Honestly I would like to see a pic of the wreck to be able to say for sure if it's not worth fixing it. I refuse to say throw it way without knowing for sure that that is the only option.

At the end of the night it up to the owner and I wish him all the luck in the world. Hope this crx makes it.

#8 ·
Sorry for my "never quit" mentality. I love crx's (like most of you here). Just hate to see anotherone go.

#11 ·
Baker said:
omyhonda said:
Sorry for my "never quit" mentality.
I get it, but you have to be realistic and practical with them too...
These cars will collapse and compress like aluminum cans when hit.
So true, sad face.

#14 ·
Yup, it is better to simply have it scrapped and take the other remaining workable parts with you. I know the pinch you must be feeling being the first owner and all, but it is not worth it in my opinion. Having to fork out $4500 just go to mean that the damages done were extreme and major works need to be done before it feels "safe" to be driven again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.