Honda CRX Forum banner

Can't locate speedo cable

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Mista Bone 
#1 ·
Sorry noob here :(
I literarily spent the whole day trying to get the tranny bolt out...to no avail. So I want to now fill the tranny through the Vss but I really don't know where it is lol. pictures would be awesome.
Thanks I do appreciate it

#7 ·
If you have the room, do this:
(I hope that picture works. Dang high resolution) EDIT: Never use 12-point sockets or wrenches for high torque bolt breaking or tightening unless the bolt is 12-point.

So you know for future reference, the VSS is mounted behind the Starter and above where the axles meet.

#8 ·
is there any other wat ro fill up the transmission. I have already rounded the fill bolt and the reverse switch wont budge no matter how much i try. im out of ideas now
Also I think the speedo drive on the 88's don't go through the tranny since the fluid won't go through

#9 ·
Myriad said:
If you have the room, do this:
(I hope that picture works. Dang high resolution) EDIT: Never use 12-point sockets or wrenches for high torque bolt breaking or tightening unless the bolt is 12-point.

So you know for future reference, the VSS is mounted behind the Starter and above where the axles meet.
Sorry but incorrect on the VSS location. It is located under the dash on the back of the speedo cluster.

#10 ·
guardian003 said:
is there any other wat ro fill up the transmission. I have already rounded the fill bolt and the reverse switch wont budge no matter how much i try. im out of ideas now
Also I think the speedo drive on the 88's don't go through the tranny since the fluid won't go through
If you cannot get the reverse switch loose, the other location won't even be possible to get loose. It is tighter than the fill bolt that you have rounded off and requires removing the starter.

19mm socket on reverse switch, just like removing lug nut.

#13 ·
See if you can get a 6-point box-end wrench on the fill plug. Unless you've got some very short (six-point!) sockets and a very flat ratchet or flex handle, that's the best way to remove it.

--DD

#15 ·
Haha did everybody miss mr. Bones joke about the VSS?

The item on the transmission is a cable drive for the VSS which is located on the back of the speedometer cluster.

So yeah if you put transmission fluid on the back of your speedometer cluster that's going to be a mess and be really stupid LOL

Also, I'm pretty sure you can fill your transmission by pulling the axle out and putting the oil in the hole where the axle was.

You want my opinion I think you should get that bolt out by any means possible and fix it the right way.

As far as filling it, it's really simple.
I just take a piece of clear rubber tubing and drill a hole in a 2 liter Coke bottle cap. Then I cut the coke bottle to make a funnel. Simple.
Also the little L shaped acordian drain tube on the bottom of the CRX blower motor unit fits perfectly into the fill hole and you can just put a funnel into the other side of it.

#17 ·
Mista Bone said:
Sorry but incorrect on the VSS location. It is located under the dash on the back of the speedo cluster.
:doh: That's a technicality. I don't know what to call the piece that bolts into the tranny that drives the cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.