Honda CRX Forum banner

Rebuilt Climate Control?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Gophat 
#1 ·
There is a listing on EBAY of a repair service for CRX Climate controls. It is $225 and you send the old one in and he sends you a rebuilt one. Supposedly it is unbreakable and should function as "like-new". Has anyone used a service like this? I am interested in the service but I am doubting it will work like new. Mine isn't in such bad condition.

What 2-part plastic epoxy could he be using that I can't get myself? I have the metal plate but the double sided tape melted over time and it slid out of place since the mount tabs are gone.

Ebay link

#3 ·
kracksmith said:
nice income for that guy since he said he did 100's of them. you are a crx enthusiast, can't you try to make the repair yourself since if you go his route, you would need to know how to remove and install anyways.
Any 2 part epoxy will work. Glue it together, gluing in all the cracks etc. Then install the repair plate. You can even glue the repair plate onto the face instead of using the tape.

Pretty straight forward. Just take your time and have towel/qtips ready to wipe off the excess glue. You might want to use plastic clamps to hold it together while the glue dries. I recommend 5-minute epoxy for this.

#4 ·
I went nuts. I ordered capacitors and cleaned up the PCB. Replaced all the bulbs and put fresh wire for the bulbs. Then I went ahead and cleaned my car and found as many pieces to it as possible.

I used mini c-clamps to hold it together and it is glued with 2 part plastic epoxy by JB Weld. Right now I am finding a circle just big enough to fit where the AC knob goes so I can fill the outer part with more Epoxy without it seeping into the knob area. I should have an epoxy brick when I am done. The best part is all my stickers are still on it. It should look OEM. :bounce:

#5 ·
Just did this tonight actually.
Like Gophat said, the plastic epoxy by JB weld that is black works really well. It sets in 15 mins and cures in 30 mins which is insanely fast. no waiting 24 hours to install.
Just be careful because the wire on the back leading from climate knob to the main body will break off very easily.
But within 30 mins the climate control looks amazing!

#6 ·
Yeah I am super excited. I bought zip ties in black and cut pieces to form strands infused in JB Weld like carbon fiber. I used mini C-Clamps to clamp the pieces to the metal plate to hold their form. The JB Weld is a bit runny so I had to do it in layers and build it up.

I feel like I can throw the climate control at a wall and it would be fine, plus the metal plate in the front for maximum protection.

#8 ·
Waiting for a sleeve to come in from the machine shop. Decided to sleeve it and weld the front plate to the sleeve. Sort of like a radio, and it is still removable for future fixes. I took a bunch of pictures and once I am completely done I will post a story about it. :)b

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.