Honda CRX Forum banner

Alignment after installing aftemarker steering wheel??

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  tommy 
#1 ·
I installed a new Momo steering wheel with an HKB hub and my steering wheel is slightly off center. My stock steering wheel was perfectly straight and the car had an alignment before. I tried many times to install the new steering wheel as straight as possible, but everytime was a little off center, either left or right. Is this a common problem with aftermarket steering wheels?? Do i need an alignment again??

Thanks,
Tasos

#3 ·
Thanks Jfrolang. It is off by about 10 deg. Do you think that the alignment will solve the problem? I'm asking because for now and a few more months the car will not be on the road, so i can go for an alignment. Or else should i ask for a replacement hub??

#5 ·
Of course it's never a bad idea to confirm alignment but if your confident with the alignment and just need to center the wheel it can be done without a full alignment.

Now that you have found the closest spline you fine tune at the tie rod ends. You can carefully adjust the two outer tie rod ends by equal and opposite amounts to center the wheel. Make reference marks and make all adjustments relative to the starting point. If you try 1/2 turn each and it's closer but you want to try another 1/4 turn you would adjust to 3/4 turn from the starting point rather then trying to move 1/4 turn from the last point.

Mike

#6 ·
Wrong. You never align a car to meet the needs of a steering wheel. Something isn't right here. You are either not installing is correctly or the parts are messed up some way. You are suppose to drive on a flat surface for a bit and then install the wheel aligning the splines. This may take a few times to get it right. I've been through this before.

#7 ·
Yeah, it's just a spline issue at the steering wheel hub. It might have been off center prior to installing the wheel due to previous alignments. I recommend going to a rack that has a life-time 'warranty' so you can always go back and get it done again for next to nothing.

#8 ·
crocrx said:
Wrong. You never align a car to meet the needs of a steering wheel.
Lol. Wrong. :blah: You've clearly never used an aftermarket wheel hub then. OEM Honda wheels will fit fine of course. It has been the experience of more than just myself that the aftermarket hubs will rarely be aligned perfectly. You can drive straight down the road with the wheel off just to one side, so you think "I guess I'm off by a spline" So you pull it off again and move it one spline over. Then it's off by the same amount to the other side.

#9 ·
Depending on the hub/wheel, yeah. I don't have a lot of faith in those parts being 'oem' accurate anyway. I still think that a lot of the issues are due to past alignments and the people doing them only adjusting the tie rods to match the wheel, without taking into account the change of the gearing within the rack. Either way, whether it is the tie rods, or the splines and holes in the hub being off, your wheel won't match the wheels, especially at lock-to-lock.

#10 ·
jfrolang said:
crocrx said:
Wrong. You never align a car to meet the needs of a steering wheel.
Lol. Wrong. :blah: You've clearly never used an aftermarket wheel hub then. OEM Honda wheels will fit fine of course. It has been the experience of more than just myself that the aftermarket hubs will rarely be aligned perfectly. You can drive straight down the road with the wheel off just to one side, so you think "I guess I'm off by a spline" So you pull it off again and move it one spline over. Then it's off by the same amount to the other side.
Many times bud, many times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.