Honda CRX Forum banner

CARFAX for my CRX

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  thaeli 
#1 ·
Bought my latest (hopefully last) CRX last year - was winging it based on my knowledge of cars,
Not a horrible deal for 900 bucks.

Then I heard someone mention to ALWAYS check out the CARFAX When buying these things. So I logged in and see there were 13 incidents for my car. Hmmm. It's had a few bumps (repaired) and a replaced engine, but from my visual, nothing too bad.

It costs $30 to see the full report so I passed. Just a funny story I guess.
What's your experience been with CARFAX?

#3 ·
Keep in mind that Carfax is not some omnipotent being. It only knows what's been reported to it (more accurately, reported to the various entities that carfax buys its data from). A lot of stuff does NOT get reported, especially when talking about incidents that may have happened years ago.

#4 ·
You can do a free search at https://www.vehiclehistory.com that gets most of the relevant records. I found out some interesting history on my CRX - the title when I got it was branded "not actual mileage" but from the historical odometer records, I think the miles are accurate and someone just typoed or didn't believe it really had 300k miles on it when they did the paperwork at some point in its history. Also found out that it's been in the DMV area for its whole life - started in Virginia, was in Maryland for a bunch of years, and now it's back in Virginia.

#6 ·
Yeah, especially for a 20+year old car it's more about getting some idea of where the car has been registered, where most of the mileage was put on, etc. For a car that's only a few years old, it's more important to know if there is an accident history, but for old cars.. well, rust isn't on a Carfax and that's my biggest concern. (Though it can sometimes alert you if that 'Arizona Car' actually spent 10 years in Minnesota..)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.