Honda CRX Forum banner

gauge cluster wiring

68K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  Baker 
#1 ·
Here are the pinouts for the 88-89 and the 90-91 cluster, this should help anyone wanting to swap clusters between cars. Remember that you also need the corresponding hood, as well as defroster, hazard, and dimmer switches.

88-89 Cluster

90-91 Cluster

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks again for this.
Couple things I notice though. The places that say they are "unused" but have a wire there looked like they are used. On the 88-89 12 pin the #12 goes to the door ajar light, and on the 8pin one the #5 goes to one of the screws/terminals of the speedo I believe (I didn't open up the cluster to investigate completly)
And the 90-91's simmilar. 8 pin # 2 goes to that same speedo place and on the 12 pin the #6 goes to the door ajar light.
This is from me following the wiring on the back of the clusters, not from testing the car harness or anything like that, so I'm not 100% on this.

#5 ·
good info
i needed that diagram really bad.

I've been driving with no gauge cluster and the beeping is getting annoying.

Anyone know if this diagram is the same for the HF?

#10 ·
I dont really need the pinouts for a swap but i think my car has faulty wiring in the dash... i plugged a known working cluster in the car and nothing works on it... so i think the wires are fubar. The pins that go to the cluster power wire... i dont remember what it said exactly but it made me believe that the cluster had to have voltage to work. Anybody that has had experience troubleshooting wiring problems would be a great help to me.

Thanks guys

#16 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :bounce: I just bought a 1989 CRX Si this weekend and the fuel gauge plus the tach meter were completely dead, along with a bunch of different sensors on the dash going crazy, turns out they put a 90' cluster connected to a 89 cluster harness, I was going crazy trying to troubleshoot the problem and now thanks to your post everything works fine again like it should!! :)b

#17 ·
need a little help, we put a cluster from a 90 dx into a 88hf and on the original 12 pin #8 in the car there was no wire there so where do we get our second switched power from ? also it appears most of the wires functions (in the 88hf) matched the pictures above, but the colors didn't match any ideas on that?

#21 ·
Gotin said:
In you original post you stated the you would need the corresponding defroster? I am currently running the cluster out of a 2000 civic si and my rear defroster is not working? Do you think its due to the cluster?
Maybe your defroster switch has just gone bad or have your checked the grids on the rear window?
The cluster wiring doesn't run your defroster.
You need the matching cluster hood, defroster, hazard, and dimmer switches because 88/89's differ from 90/91's.

viewtopic.php?t=6216

#22 ·
Baker said:
Gotin said:
In you original post you stated the you would need the corresponding defroster? I am currently running the cluster out of a 2000 civic si and my rear defroster is not working? Do you think its due to the cluster?
Maybe your defroster switch has just gone bad or have your checked the grids on the rear window?
The cluster wiring doesn't run your defroster.
You need the matching cluster hood, defroster, hazard, and dimmer switches because 88/89's differ from 90/91's.

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=6216
Ahhh. You mean do to the shape not the wiring. Thanks.

Sorry for the threadjack :oops:

#25 ·
So this is still incomplete.. does anyone know the pinouts for the defrost and dimmer?

Yes, i know how old this thread is but it is still very useful and in the faqs. It would be great if someone posted up the pinouts to complete this thread.

My old and new dimmer switches both have 3 wires, but different colors. But my new defrost has 5 wires compared to 3 on the old one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.