Honda CRX Forum banner

Sloshed '89 EF7 CR-X "REPRODUCTION CRX WINDOW VISOR"

86K views 368 replies 79 participants last post by  sloshed 
#1 ·
Hi guys. Firstly, I wanna say I love this site. Been sniffing this site every now and then for ideas and inspiration since my first rex.

Secondly, I must really give kudos to all the beautiful rexes in here. So many different styling cues and goals its hard not to find an interesting rex in this site. One thing is for sure though, we all love this little car considering the amount of time and money we have poured in an old car of this day and age. It makes me feel like a fanatic sometime. Alas I'm not alone in here :D

Let me introduce myself as this is my first post here and in fact also my first post in any car related forum. My name is William. I am from Malaysia and currently living in the little island country of Singapore where I am working. My current addiction is my second rex which took me almost two year to find since I totaled my last rex.

A little history. I always liked the EF platform since my mum had an EF 2 door Civic during my teens. It was an auto and slow. But still, I liked the design style very much. Anyways, my first car had to be a CRX EF. Years later, I bought a JDM CRX Si EF7 in August 06. It had a B16 engine swapped in as its common here. It's VTEC wasn't even working for half a year since I got it due to wiring error. I didn't even realized that VTEC was not working as I knew little about performance engine mods. Anyways the rex seemed fast then, even without VTEC and I was satisfied with it's performance. When VTEC was finally discovered broken and fixed, I felt like an idiot. It sparked off new performance goal for me. Made me wanna make the rex go faster.

Anyways, my first rex was a spending magnet right after and soon became a ricer full of useless accessories due to lack of sound advise. It had all kinds race and rice influences which I had gotten from friends. Heavy ass 16" wheels which I picked for bling was my first mod. It was loaded with junk for accessories. Styling was in the form of a copy Mugen kit with a two tone color theme for the poser in me(metallic grey bottom half and black for the upper half) :oops: . A silly IHE upgrade made me feel that my car was race worthy. The silly cold air intake upgrade did make me rediscover the rex. Not before a hydro lock though.

Things got even more serious. $$$. Instead of getting a new B16 block, I decided to try a B20vtec setup after reading up at Honda-Tech. I "want to increase the performance further" mentality was the new phase. Yeah, it was that good. Hardly ever needed to rev very high or down shift to overtake a car on the expressway. The B20v really got me exited. One day I had to try the track. It was awesome just keeping up with seasoned drivers in tuned Honda's at the track on my first track outing.

Lets skip to the end of my old rex. One night I lost control of the car at a turn. It may have been due to my newly installed 2 way lsd which I hadn't gotten used too, additionally, I may have been to fast at the turn. It made me plough straight through a big curb. Car was warped. To make matters worst, at the station, parts were stolen. Damn, was I pissed. I decided to total the car and manage to salvage whatever parts I could.

Almost two years later, I finally found a CRX in good condition 400 miles away by air. It was well within my budget, allowing me to put aside more funds to mod and restore it. From the sellers picture alone, I was fixed on buying it. The JDM EF7 had a ZC engine. The good; car is stock aside from the body kit, body is straight and clean, car was rarely driven, parked mostly in the shade(means good rubber condition and lesser sun fade in the interior), well maintained interior and even have a panoramic roof, something I have always wanted which is a definite plus. I booked a ticket and flew there. Met the guy, great guy btw, he really took care of his CRX. I paid the guy cash and drove home the day after. Here's a couple pictures of the car after the long drive back. Btw, I bought the car last year in Aug. It has since been in the shop undergoing work ever since. This time around, I am gonna build the car the right way the first time round. Don't mind the back dated camera phone pictures. I will upload the progress pictures eventually.

See less See more
#4 ·
REP DA REX said:
wow clean rex brah,i like it :)b
Thanks bro, from the picture the car looked like it was cared well.
built716 said:
shaved sidings and molded west wing side skirt?
Wasn't shaven. Moldings grove was covered by the kit. It was crazy insane though, check out the body filler and cement later.

#9 ·
1drivinmofo said:
love the color! Are you keeping it that color or are you going to change it?
The car is already painted. I choose the pepper white from the mini. It seemed like the best simple yet slightly different color for a CRX to me.

Thanks for the compliments on the rim cause I have to use it till I can find a replacement when I have more funds. Focusing on getting the car out of the shop at the moment.

Progress of the car has been slow considering it has been at the shop for over 10 months. A lot have been done. Basically, I'm trying to upload all the pictures from my phone and get them organized in my photobucket then linking them in order of work done. Only got camera phone pictures and my internet isn't fast enough. Here's some pictures I uploaded previously. Rest will come when I have more time. Hope you like.

#15 ·
I did the exact same mod for my first CRX after riding in a track CRX. It made the car feel really firm without the need of a roll cage which is illegal on the roads here. Also, strengthening the chassis may have saved my leg when I crashed my first CRX. Car warped badly but didn't cave in from the wheel well which is the second reason I did it. My only fear now is the roof collapsing on me and being hit from the side in an accident. The chassis had to be done up since I want my rex to last. Paint will be next. Cheers.

#18 ·
Thanks. Difference in handling I would think is very subjective. My previous CRX definitely feels much more responsive to drivers input after being welded. You also get more feedback from the car while driving close to its limits which makes it more predictable. It also means more road noise and harshness on poor roads. But I like it this way much better. Feels very raw.

Some pictures of the engine bay painted. Masking and coverage is far from good. Seams are just ok.

#24 ·
sloshed said:
Thanks. Hope it won't be to hard keeping it clean and shiny. Referring to your build, wished I had saved enough money to put in a k20 instead of a B20. Too bad, 210whp will have to be my realistic goal now. I must say your fujisubo really looks tempting.
Thanks for the props! I really love the paint on this guy! Wish I would have saved enough money for a paint job. ;) haha, keep it coming. These updates are gorgeous! :)

#25 ·
vanrij said:
I like it! Reassembly is the most exciting part for me. So you're sticking with the B20 VTEC set up then?
Yeah vanrij, gonna stick to the B20 since I have most of the parts from my last rex anyways. K20 will be for the next project if any hopefully. This time, I'll just build the engine up to decent specs for street and occasional track.

89crxk20 said:
Thanks for the props! I really love the paint on this guy! Wish I would have saved enough money for a paint job. ;) haha, keep it coming. These updates are gorgeous! :)
Your engine beats any paint job baby. I mean, it'll cost me to paint my car 5 times over just to get a K20 swap. And that's a full body paint. I'll envy K20 swaps for a long way to come.

Anyways, back to my slow build, I'm finally finishing my annoying back dated uploads. Here's more pictures of earlier progress. April pictures. :lol: Soon, it'll be real time updates. Heres a bunch of new OEM rubber on fresh paint. Hope you like.
New rear quarter window trims.

New door weather strip, door pillar garnish and window rubber.

New window lower molding piece(can't remember the proper name)

Repainted non auto folding mirror to match new trim pieces.

New windshield molding. Got this since 2008. Finally being used.

Just repainted door handles. Got new ones but though I'd just store them longer.

Installed EDM spoiler, shaved the wiper hole and resprayed to match.

New roof water channel rubber and reinstalled antenna. Decide to keep it for the generation style.

Again.

Molding rubber crack. Negligeble.

Windshield top.

Repainted bumper.

Front bumper touch up before mockup test fit.

Coming together finally.

More touch up...

Mockup fit

Diff angle

Slight bumper alignment problem. Bracket bent.

Almost perfect.

Bumper grill close up.

That's all this time around guys. Progress from here out is really slow. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.