Honda CRX Forum banner

Temp gauge doesn't work... what problems could that cause?

8K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  dutchnastee 
#1 ·
I have a 89 si and ever since i bought it the temp gauge hasnt worked
just interested to know what that could cause to not work? Like the fan? maybe cause coolant to not flow?
i have no idea and just would like a more knowledgeable opinion! and this is the best place to ask! :)b

btw i am going to buy the gauge sensor soon its like 16$ at lordco, just hope that gets it working!
oh and i have looked up the pattern of the wires going in the cluster plug and it seems mine arent the same :S but everything else works soo i dont think that would be the problem.

any advice appreciated :)

#6 ·
Check the resistance of your sender. It should be about 142 ohms or more if the engine is cold (133*F or colder) It should be between 32 to 49 ohms if it is hot (212*F).

You can test the gauge by connecting a resistor with 150 ohms across the sender wire and ground with the key on. You should see a normal temperature reading. Then replace the resistor with one between 30 and 50 ohms to see if the gauge goes to the cold mark.

#7 ·
thank you for all the advice! i forgot about the post so its nice to see some replies. :)

today i replaced the ECT switch that goes straight to the cluster and when i started it up it the gauge seemed to be working fine but after a while (say 5 minutes) it stayed almost all the way up then back to around the center of the gauge

but before the gauge would just go wild at times.

i did forget to top up the coolant but not alot was lost..
soo at this point i am kind of confused on what to do and i am starting to wonder more and more if say the thermostat doesnt work? or somthing to do with coolant flow? both rad hoses were pretty damn hot but then again maybe the termostat hadnt opened yet?

so tomorow im going to test the fan and rest of the sensors
and coolant flush this weeekend, which reminds me to ask, since i switched both my ECT sensors should i have bled my coolant?

sorry for all the questions, and for the record the car has been sitting ( ran a couple times a week ) and i get my license in a few days soo im trying to get all this figured out befor i go overheating without knowing. and nothing has gone wrong to make me question all this except the temp gauge and the fan not coming on..... thanks to all who have any answers :)b

too much writing, heres a pic cuz we all love to know what the advice is going into ;)

whoo loves my view ? :)b

#11 ·
so since i installed the new ect switch and it still kinda goes up and down(nothing like befor) could that be a contributing factor/ sign of a blown head gasket?

my overflow tank is completley empty except a bit of sludge like stuff in it... not milkshaky but i think it could be from the tiny drips of overflow and it just dries up? from the lack of a decent amount of fluid in there?

im planning on gathering up the parts for a head gasket replacement soon anyways all i need to find is a torque wrench to use for a day or 2, im gonna hope all i need is a gasket :mrgreen:

#14 ·
thank you i was just reading up on that and am going to top up the overflow and bleed the system after i post this. :oops: and also cleaned the overflow last night as much as possible.

soo like i said before i installed 2 new coolant sensors, and didnt bleed it at all... guess thats newb stupidity but hey i swear i learn more and more everyday thanks to these sites.

thanks to jfro especially, ill keep you all updated :)b

#15 ·
soo i burped the coolant and the temp gauge finally settled around the middle, doesnt seem to be bouncing up and down at times anymore, but only time will tell! :D

i am pretty stoked about this but now id like my fan to work :dizzy: i might just wire it to a switch..
i know how to search of course and it is simple but does anyone know which wire i need to use?
do i use a wire a from the fan plug side or the car harness plug side? sorry if that doesnt make sense

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.