Honda CRX Forum banner

Oem crx hf exhaust?

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  msc 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, my Bosal exhaust (of 3 years) literally fell apart at the seems the other day. -before- the weld from the muffler silencer to the point where the tubing connects to the "B" pipe. I shook the muffler, and inside of it sounded like all the internal dampeners and baffles where reduced to a mere pile of rust. It baffles me because its driven 70 miles almost every day and there is little to no time for condensation to build up and internally rot it.

So my situation begins, I want an oem exhaust that I know wont fail quite as fast.
I called every major online Honda website to no avail, (despite what the website says they are discontinued).
I *DO NOT* want any after market exhaust (unless I have too). And I require the single pipe design being how the restrictive HF engine is.

Does anyone know of any leads?

Part number:

18307-SH3-A83
Or
18307-SH3-505

#3 ·
unless you get the HF specific exhaust manifold and muffler parts, youre going to have to weld whatever new exhaust you get because of the odd placement of the catalytic. you might be able to find a NOS (new overstock) at a dealer somewhere, but i doubt it by now. i dunno, worth checking.

and a large byproduct of the catalytic converter is H2O, water, so thats how it got into the exhaust to corrode it from the inside.

#7 ·
18307-SH3-A83 is the only part I recognize as an HF muffler but I was not able to figure out the application for the 18307-SH3-505 so I can't confirm if it's correct.

If Honda no longer has stock then after market may be your only choice. Walker does offer a Cat that includes the A-pipe and looks correct for an HF. They also sell a B-Pipe that is a good fit for the HF. I have a Walker B-Pipe that matches the stock B-Pipe in diameter, resonator, and double wall construction. Unfortunately last I checked they did not offer a proper HF replacement muffler. The closes fit you may find for an HF muffler might be a proper DX replacement.

The Walker exhaust parts can be found on ebay for about as cheep as anywhere. Summit Racing has good pricing on Walker exhaust parts also. Summit Racing should have decent (possible errors so make sure it looks correct) application information . The application information is also available on the Walker web site but as I recall there is an error in treating all D15's the same in one application table. When you dig a bit I think they have a proper HF exhaust from the cat back through the B-pipe. I forget if they had the DX muffler as a complete assembly or if it had a front and rear pipe section that connected to a muffler but they did have a DX solution. The biggest difference between the HF and DX would be the pipe section that extends to the B-pipe. The DX should be about 1 3/4 inch and the HF would be about 1 1/2 inch.

Mike

#8 ·
A fellow Hf expert surfaces,

when I bought my car 4 years ago, it still had the original hf spec resonator and muffler (A and B pipe) Although, they were so gone and in need of replacement. I purchased a walker resonator portion and a Bosal muffler. The diameter of the old and new exhausts were 1.5 inches.

Fast forward to the present the Bosal exhaust failed and I'm just looking for a up-rated replacement. I've come to the conclusion that both DX and HF pipe diameters appear to be the same at least with brands such as Bosal/Walker.

According to the research on the exhaust I've settled on, it's as close to Honda as you can get. With 1.5 in. diameter on both inlet and outlet pipes, top heat shield, and their apparent 3 stage quiet internal baffles (questionable) we will see.

Link:
http://www.rockauto.com/info/Walker/Det ... -11020.jpg

#10 ·
I'm baffled, what part are you calling the baffle?

And a bit of trivia. The vast majority of road rubber is not from retreads. For the most part it's complete virgin (non retread) tires that suffer sidewall failures typically caused by low tire pressure.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.