Honda CRX Forum banner

1991 EDM EE8 Black Betty (fixing pics)

52K views 214 replies 25 participants last post by  Treezy 
#1 ·
*Finally getting around to updating my pics after photobucket decided to take a **** on me.. Bear with me, I have a lot of pics to update and not a lot of free time.

Current Build Sheet: (350hp)
-------------
ENGINE
-------------

B16a1 w/GT2871R
OBD-0 to OBD-1 conversion
P28 ECU w/Hondata S300
Bored over to 82mm
Darton Sleeves
Wiseco Forged Pistons @ 10:5:1CR
Eagle ESP forged rods
Cometic Head Gasket
ARP Head Studs
Supertech over-sized Black Nitrade Domed Valves
Supertech Springs
Supertech Retainers
Supertech Bronze Exhaust Valve Guides
Skunk2 Pro 1 Camshafts
Skunk2 Lost Motion Assembly
AEM Cam Gears
Gates Timing Belt
Orbit ACL High-Performance Oil Pump
Moroso Baffled Oil Pan
ACL Bearings Kit
Skunk2 VTEC Solenoid
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
NGK Plug Wires
Injector Dynamics 1000cc
AEM Fuel Rail
AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator
Edelbrock Performer X Intake Manifold
ARP Extended Intake Manifold Studs
Cometic Intake Manifold Gasket
Omni-Power 68mm Throttle Body
Hondata 4 Bar MAP sensor
Precision Turbo 39mm External Wastegate
HKS SSQV IV BOV (awaiting install)
Speed Factory Full Ram Turbo Manifold
Fabricated Down-Pipe
Megan Racing Cat-back Exhaust
Speed Factory custom FMIC
Skunk2 Alpha Half-Size Radiator
Mishimoto bay Hose Kit (awaiting install)
Mishimoto 68* Thermostat
Competition Clutch Stage 4 Sprung 6 Puck w/F1 moly-steel Flywheel
AEM Digital Gauges w/GlowShift Pillar Pod (awaiting install)
HKS Type-1 Turbo Timer (awaiting install)
Spectre Air Filter
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
Saikou Michi oil catch can (awaiting install)
12" Slim Fan

--------------
SUSPENSION
--------------
Megan Racing 32-way Adjustable Shocks/Coils
Innovative Traction Bar w/Black Powder-Coated Radius Arms
Password JDM Rear Upper Sway Bar
Drag DR-21's, 7.5" wide, Silver
Nitto Neo-Gen 205/15/50's
Insane Shaft 500hp Axles
Braided Brake Lines
New OEM Rotors

--------------------
INTERIOR/EXTERIOR
--------------------
OMP Racing Seats
B&M Short Shifter (awaiting install)
Battery Relocation to Trunk

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I just picked up my new projekt car, Black Betty, about a week ago. She's a 1991 EDM EE8 B16a1. I've been stationed in northern Italy now for right at a year and have been looking for a CRX the entire time, even as far away as England. After all that time and a bunch of no-go's, a guy on base bought a skyline and tells me his CRX is just sitting there collecting dust. Best part, he has no idea what he has or what he's doing. He sells it to me for $900 and throws in 2 12's in a box with an 1800w amp! After I sell those, the car will have cost me like $750 8)

Good stuff: IT'S A CRX!! It's EDM and has a B16a1, came with headers, CAI and a cat back installed, no rust, no leaks!!

Bad stuff: She had damage to the front and rear, seats destroyed (seat pic is ONLY decent part of either seat), dash cracked, needed 2 new tires, bad CV joint, a short in one headlight.

Not bad at all.., especially since the only thing I wanted her for was the chassis and engine as a projekt platform. As of right now, I won't be able to bring her back stateside when I leave, so I plan on buying parts and building her, then stripping her down and back to original parts when I leave. That way I can re-sell her and take all my CRX parts/engine for a rolling chassis that's in great shape :)

Here's some pics at purchase and the first weekend. I took a sledge and a crowbar to the front and rear and got most of it straight. Can't do anymore until I have a straight rear bumper cover and time to pull the headlights, fenders and front bumper off again:

Rigged up this little beauty to pass inspection.. NOS energy drink bottle with a DC2 washer motor (fits perfectly snug), ran wires and lines, popped a small hole in the bottom of the bottle to alleviate the pressure and then put it in the bay inside the passenger side fender.. The bottle was laying at a hard angle with the washer motor on the bottom to feed and the breather hole up top. It may look stupid, but if it works.. :)b

See less See more
#4 ·
lol.. that's exactly where her name comes from. I'm kinda nostalgic like that about Alabama. Yeah, I've got an entire build sheet in works. I'm prepping for 400hp and we'll see how it turns out. First things though are a tune-up, oil change, new seats and new cv's. I just put on 2 new front tires to drive on, but she's parked in the garage and I drive my Polo daily. Already got one race lined up with a Mk IV Golf 1.8T and working on a second with a completely stock '05 civic si. That will give me a decent baseline as to where she stands as-is and I can build from there. Also planning to take some trips to the track, but it's like 3.5 hours from here so maybe next spring.

Oh, and new tails are already enroute, stock reds with CRX VTEC on them.

#6 ·
lol.. If I stay overseas for another tour or extend long enough, I could definitely see myself fixing her up to bring home. And if you want parts, let me know. I haven't found anywhere locally to get parts aside from dealers/shops, but I'm definitely looking and can keep an eye open for you :)b

#8 ·
On the lift getting new front tires..

Took the opportunity to snap some pics underneath

Exhaust she came with

I ordered a set of NGK V-Power plugs and wires, picked up a new air and oil filter, have to order a fuel filter, contacted Rywire about their OBD-1 conversion stuff and am waiting on a response from Gator about a set of axles. I'm about to order a set of OEM axles as well and my friend out in Cali may be hooking me up with a 68mm S2 Pro TB for cheap.

#10 ·
Thats my OEM's, still no response from Gator. Fuel filter will be in on monday (finally). NGK plugs and wires are in. Time to get crankin if I plan to run her at all next weekend.. Croatia Street Racing :)b

#13 ·
Alright.. So my new OEM axles didn't work :/ The driver side did, but the passenger didn't. I had to make the races in Croatia this weekend so I put the bad right axle back on and rolled out. The place was packed enough that I didn't even bother racing. I'll see if my guy here local can score another axle for me and there's several of us heading to a 1/4 track in Italy next weekend. Hopefully, I can get the fuel pump replaced by then as well.

The best part is.. When I rolled up to the races, the guys at the gate were trying to turn me away. I said, this is for the races right? Guy says yeah, but you have to race to drive in here.. I pointed to my helmet and said yeah, I know. He backed up and let me through lol. Looks like I got a sleeper projekt on my hands :mrgreen: Over here you either got a ferrari or stickers all over your **** if you race apparently.., not damaged front and rear ends hahaha.

#14 ·
Alright, been a couple months since my last update.., been pretty busy. Here's where I'm at with the car:

Front Bumper Off
Headlights Out
Header Out
Radiator Out
Throttle Body Out
Intake Manifold Out
Oil Pan Out
Intake Out
Battery Out
Engine Cleaned Up (a little)
Seats Out

Here's what I'm putting in the car this month:

T3/T4 Compressor
BLOX Intake Manifold
OmniPower 68mm Throttle Body
AEM Fuel Rail
450cc Injectors
Half-Size Radiator w/12" Slim Fan
Radiator Hoses
OBD0 to OBD1 Conversion
Chipped ECU
Walbro 255lph
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Turbo Manifold
3" Downpipe
Intercooler w/Piping
BOV
3 Bar MAP Sensor (Phearable)
Braided Oil Line Kit
Racing Seats

What's on the horizon:

Tires that will actually grip (right now stock 150hp spin new street tires)
Suspension Setup
Exhaust (maybe, if this one doesn't hold up, ebay aftermarket came with the car)

*Pics coming soon*

#15 ·
Here's the turbo when I first hung it to check clearance and mounting options

Probably the filthiest engine I've ever worked on.. Had to use a flat head screwdriver to scrap the sludge off, then degreaser, rinsed and scrubbed with boiling hot water and it still looks like ****. This is the before pic, haven't taken an after shot yet..

Fuck a blueprint, I fingerprinted that **** :p

More pics to come as she progresses..

#18 ·
Thanks.. I see you're from VA Beach. I left from over there a little over a year ago after six years. I used to do the meets and races in Hampton/Newport News and sometimes hit the Va Beach meets. Used to do the DropJaw shows there as well with Evasive Illusions CC. I was running a blue boosted EG coupe one-seater with black wheels, the slammed yellow s10 drag truck with a fully built 350, and the white silverado with the Evasive Illusions decals all the way around it.

#20 ·
Hey mesa, long time no talk! Still no parts to be found around here either. I picked up a cheap set of racing seats so no rush on finding those rex seats for me. But I would still like some. Now I can afford to hold out for really good ones! :)

#23 ·
Just got my half-size radiator and cometic oil pan gasket in..

Still waiting on a bunch of other parts, but at least I can get the radiator in and start lining up my IC and piping :)

#25 ·
Yeah, she's actually a 91. I had to go to Honda with the VIN to get the right info. The shop told me she was a 90 so that's what I went with. Couldn't find a VIN decoder that unlocked those two zeros so I just asked them. But it's still better than what my registration & insurance paperwork says: 1992 :rolleyes1: lol

#26 ·
Salvaged the two S brackets from the wiper fluid bottle to mount the IC. As soon as the hole is drilled to route the IC piping, the IC will come off so I can finish up the turbo/dp/radiator install. The DP needs modification so I pressed on with IC mounting and routing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.