(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

New CRX Sunroof Panel Paint or Wrap???

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

New CRX Sunroof Panel Paint or Wrap???

Postby Ijiahe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:55 am

I have a brand new sunroof outer panel for my 2nd gen CRX. It is painted in black primer. Here is my question....

Do I get it painted in the original body colour, or do I get it wrapped in either flat black or carbon fibre wrap?

Painted will make it completely original, but will be more expensive (I am guessing).

Wrapping will be cheaper, and easier to organise.

What is the opinion? Should I paint or wrap? Will wrapping be less effective at preventing rust (remembering that the rust on these panels always occurs from the inside)? Will it look lame in flat black? Will it look better in body colour? Better resale value if painted?

Your opinions will be greatly valued.....

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Ijiahe on Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ijiahe

Re: New CRX Sunroof Panel Paint or Wrap???

Postby DSnl89 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:15 am

I would do both considering the size of the roof panel. Paint for a lasting finish, wrap to just protect it more than anything as it will fade in a few years and you will probably want to remove it.
89 CRX Si - Blade Silver
DSnl89

Postby Dave_Darling » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:16 pm

I say paint it. I like the original look better than the boy-racer carbon look.

You'll have to get the paint matched, though, as the paint on the car has almost certainly faded over the years and is no longer quite the original shade.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby Robb » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 pm

I still have a new one in box....
Robb

Postby daveb91 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Mine was actually carbon fiber not wrapped
91 CRX Si JRSC Turboedit ECU
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560256
daveb91

Postby CRXpert52 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:33 pm

Please do yourself a huge favor and have it properly painted. The e-coat that new panels are coated with isn’t meant to be a final finish it’s only there to keep panels from rusting in the box. Exposed to the elements it will turn grey then the rust will start. If you just wrap it then humidity will do its thing and start the rust process as well. But if you are lucky enough to have a brand new panel treat it right and paint it and then wrap it if you like that look.
CRXpert52

Postby Ericcrx8625 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:20 am

I would get it paints to the original body colour. I’m in real need of a sunroof panel. Where did you get your hands on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericcrx8625

Postby sfdragonboy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:28 am

Ericcrx8625 wrote:I would get it paints to the original body colour. I’m in real need of a sunroof panel. Where did you get your hands on this?

The OP mentioned carbon fiber, so it may be from an eBay seller. I too am somewhat looking, but for an OEM one since mine is rusting out more than I would like, but it is becoming hard to find. There is a seller right now who has a brand new OEM one in box but is asking for some crazy $1.5K for it or best offer. If you are willing to go high, maybe he will accept your offer.

But going back to that carbon fiber one, not to say he got the same one, but if he did some buyers are not too happy with the fitment based on some of the comments. Unless you are really handy, I would simply find/buy a used OEM one (also on ebay) if not via junkyard or from someone parting out a car. CRX parts are becoming gold mines!!!!

Good luck! Let us know what you find.
sfdragonboy

Postby Ericcrx8625 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:07 am

sfdragonboy wrote:
Ericcrx8625 wrote:I would get it paints to the original body colour. I’m in real need of a sunroof panel. Where did you get your hands on this?

The OP mentioned carbon fiber, so it may be from an eBay seller. I too am somewhat looking, but for an OEM one since mine is rusting out more than I would like, but it is becoming hard to find. There is a seller right now who has a brand new OEM one in box but is asking for some crazy $1.5K for it or best offer. If you are willing to go high, maybe he will accept your offer.

But going back to that carbon fiber one, not to say he got the same one, but if he did some buyers are not too happy with the fitment based on some of the comments. Unless you are really handy, I would simply find/buy a used OEM one (also on ebay) if not via junkyard or from someone parting out a car. CRX parts are becoming gold mines!!!!

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the reply, I’m looking more for an oem one as I’ve heard horror stories about the carbon fibre ones as well. Not to mention I haven’t even been able to find one of those.

Being in Ontario it’s really hard to find a decent parts car that hasn’t rotted out. To spend 1.5k for a panel is a bit too crazy for me.

Guess I’ll just keep my fingers crossed and hopefully I’ll find one that’s oem or a very close match.

Thanks again.

Ericcrx8625

Postby daveb91 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:01 am

The carbon fiber one I got years ago fit just fine. All the track mounts lined up just fine. Only issue was the gasket which I used adhesive on to mount it.
daveb91

Postby GearCat » Tue May 19, 2020 9:52 pm

I would paint it if I were you. I have a carbon fiber spoiler on my tesla and it cracked with sun damage after only 5 years. Carbon fiber is good for weight savings or interior only IMO. If you paint it and then wrap it in expel clear film that will keep the paint looking good for a long time.
GearCat

Postby daveb91 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:45 pm

GearCat wrote:I would paint it if I were you. I have a carbon fiber spoiler on my tesla and it cracked with sun damage after only 5 years. Carbon fiber is good for weight savings or interior only IMO. If you paint it and then wrap it in expel clear film that will keep the paint looking good for a long time.

Sounds like it had a poor clear coat that was not UV rated
daveb91

Postby Baker » Fri May 22, 2020 6:01 am

daveb91 wrote:
GearCat wrote:I would paint it if I were you. I have a carbon fiber spoiler on my tesla and it cracked with sun damage after only 5 years. Carbon fiber is good for weight savings or interior only IMO. If you paint it and then wrap it in expel clear film that will keep the paint looking good for a long time.

Sounds like it had a poor clear coat that was not UV rated

I was just going to say that.
Clear coating is really important when it comes to the UV protection for CF, that's what some don't realize when owing something CF, you need to maintain it.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby daveb91 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:05 pm

Could of also been a poor resin...
daveb91

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing