(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

NVM, increase allowed IP addresses/cookies for login

Voice your opinion about the site. Make new suggestions. Vote on changes. An open forum to discuss anything related to the CRX Community site.

Moderator: Moderators

NVM, increase allowed IP addresses/cookies for login

Postby tyson » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:44 pm

i dont know how it all exactly works, but i've deduced that this site limits the number of computers/devices or ip addresses allowed to be kept logged in simultaneously. i think the number is 3. because when i log in using all 4 devices (eg. laptop, netbook, blackberry, home pc) it will basically cycle me out and i have to start logging in again on each of the devices. and if i purposely refrain from logging in from one of the devices, then it seems to never bother me. but i still freely use all 4 devices during the day for various reasons.

this [crud] is annoying.

i dunno, does it serve any purpose? security? its not like i get a notification if an unusual login attempt was made. can we at least bump the number to 5 or 6?

the only situation where i think it would help to limit the number is if i logged into a computer not my own (friends, public, whatever) and i stupidly clicked "leave my logged in", and i had 3 other computers i logged in normally, it would cycle me out of the computer i dont use that often so no one else could use my account. odd chance really, and thats the users fault for not temporarily logging in if its not their normal computer.

anyone else have this issue? theres probably only one other website that similarly limits the number of devices logged in, but thats like 2 out of a dozen other sites i visit. this site i hope the mods have some control over...

NVM, its a weekly time out. the more computers i have, the more i end up having to relog in during the week.
Last edited by tyson on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tyson

Re: increase allowed IP addresses/cookies for login

Postby crxmanpat » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:27 am

I've noticed that if I stay logged on long enough on only one device, that it makes me log back on again. Like this morning for instance. I had the site up from yesterday on my home PC, but not logged on on any other device. I clicked on one of the furms, and it took me to login.

And sometimes I'll be logged on at home, and when I go to log on at work it makes me enter my credentials (even though I always check "Keep me logged in").
Pat

My ride - 1990 Si, Barbados Yellow. 211K original chassis miles. No mods, fully stock with OEM accessories. Stock D16 swapped with a stock ZC SOHC non-VTEC motor at 211,175 miles.

My WTB Parts List Thread

Into RC flying? Check out my website! Nico Hobbies
crxmanpat

Postby daveb91 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:30 am

The only time I run into this is if I haven't used one of the devices in a while then I have to relog in other than that not a problem at all.
91 CRX Si JRSC Turboedit ECU
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560256
daveb91

Postby jfrolang » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:03 am

There are no client-side settings for this, or at least no maximum. It may be a hosting provider limitation. I asked Tom (crxfisher) for his opinion.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby crxfisher » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:26 am

Sorry, went to Florida for a long weekend. Fireworks on the beach were awesome. Anyway, this sounds like a setting with the forum software. It's the first time I've heard of it though, so let me do some research and see what I can do.
Searching for CRX #5: 1990 - Y49, rust-free.
crxfisher
Site Admin

Postby crxfisher » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:19 pm

Ok, well I just tested this. I was able to login with 5 different machines from 5 different IP addresses. It worked as expected. I closed each browser window on all 5 computers, opened them all up one by one, and I stayed logged in as usual. I tested this with my admin account and also a regular user account. It worked fine for both.

The cookie is on a timer, which is set for 7 days. There is no other setting that limits the number of sessions a single user can have.
crxfisher
Site Admin

Postby tyson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:31 pm

hmmm 7 day timer? ive had it happen definitely within a week, multiple times.

and how does the 7 day timer work when ppl say they never have to relogin?

on some of my computers, i run a proxy service, but it should limit it to the single UK site (BBC to watch their iPlayer). i thought that might be part of it. im not entirely sure tho.

i'll keep an eye out on it. thanks for looking into it.
tyson

Postby jfrolang » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:48 pm

tyson wrote:hmmm 7 day timer? ive had it happen definitely within a week, multiple times.

and how does the 7 day timer work when ppl say they never have to relogin?

As long as you access the site at least once every 7 days, you should in theory never have to enter your credentials.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby tyson » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:55 am

just logged in and for the 3rd time at least for the last 7 days i had to relog in.

no, i dont think so. something is up. and i did not access my proxy on this computer.
tyson

Postby daveb91 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:38 am

Hmmm I use my home iPad and PC and the iPod and work PC.....I never have to relogin on the home PC and iPad but I use them ore than I do the iPod and work pc the work pc and iPod I always have to log in.
91 CRX Si JRSC Turboedit ECU
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560256
daveb91

Postby crxfisher » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:59 pm

The cookie must be getting cleared somehow. Jfro is correct. As long as you visit within 7 days, you should not have to login again. Browsers can be set to clear cookies when exiting. All I know is that I tried it from 5 different machines with 5 different IP addresses and didn't have the issue.
crxfisher
Site Admin

Postby tyson » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:17 pm

well it doesnt seem to happen immediately. often times, it will actually sign me out DURING a session. such as i will check the website, read a thread, and then it will kick me back to the login screen as if i logged out. i dunno. its weird.

im on firefox.
tyson

Return to crxcommunity.com Site Suggestions & Issues