(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Minimum post # for new users to use classifieds?

Voice your opinion about the site. Make new suggestions. Vote on changes. An open forum to discuss anything related to the CRX Community site.

Moderator: Moderators

Minimum post # for new users to use classifieds?

Postby EF RaceRR » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:11 pm

How does everyone feel about this? Making new users wait to have a minimum number of posts in order to be able to view/use the classified section? Seems like we have a lot of new users signing up and going straight for the classifieds and posting non-crx related items for sale or not following the rules.

I don't think the minimum number should be very high because else the site will get cluttered/spammed with people just posting random, useless, posts just to reach the minimum number of posts to use the classifieds. Although, I suppose they could get banned, or temporarily banned, for this.....
R Spirit
EF RaceRR

Re: Minimum post # for new users to use classifieds?

Postby mycrxlife » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:36 pm

true dat true dat..

but i can understand from the admin point of view where they just dont want new bootys to come take a look at our classified. good for sellers but i guess not for buyers that want first dibs.
mycrxlife

Postby nihkon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:12 pm

I think you kinda answered your own question.

If you mandate a minimum amount of posts before using the Classifieds, one of 2 things will happen:
1. the new user will make "x" amount of random posts just so that they can list their items in our Classifieds ....making our site more cluttered with useless posts, or
2. the new user will think it's too much work / too much time / not worth the hassle, then go sell their items elsewhere.

Either way, we lose.
nihkon

Postby SeeOurWrecks » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:31 pm

Yeah, to be honest we tried this on cb7tuner way back when and the same thing happened, new users would spam post to get there, then the admins decided to delete suspected spam posts, then the wrong persons post gets deleted and it stirs up a storm. They eventually settled on a password that could only be deciphered by reading a warning post with the password sort of hidden in its words. They change the password every month. They also have an ebay only classified and a traditional classified with another warning.

It really all comes down to buyer beware, though
SeeOurWrecks

Postby daveb91 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:12 am

Does somebody else see a problem on this site to make a minimum post.....? I haven't seen much abuse.
91 CRX Si JRSC Turboedit ECU
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560256
daveb91

Postby EF RaceRR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:32 pm

nihkon wrote:I think you kinda answered your own question.

If you mandate a minimum amount of posts before using the Classifieds, one of 2 things will happen:
1. the new user will make "x" amount of random posts just so that they can list their items in our Classifieds ....making our site more cluttered with useless posts, or
2. the new user will think it's too much work / too much time / not worth the hassle, then go sell their items elsewhere.

Either way, we lose.

I suppose #1 could depend on the minimum number required. To me, it seems that the HIGHER the minimum number of posts required to view/use the market place, the more random garbage a user will post.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some type of site-wide/marketplace feedback system. I know some sites have iTrader. I'm not certain of the limitations, in regards to this site, or if it could even work with this site. As far as I know, it only works with vBulletin, which I don't think this site utilizes.

It'd be nice if we could get some type of feedback system in place. I don't have a ton of posts on this forum, but I have done quite a few smooth and successful transactions (both as buyer and seller).

SeeOurWrecks wrote:... They eventually settled on a password that could only be deciphered by reading a warning post with the password sort of hidden in its words. They change the password every month. They also have an ebay only classified and a traditional classified with another warning.

Now, this sounds interesting. The eBay only classified also sounds interesting.

SeeOurWrecks wrote:It really all comes down to buyer beware, though

I agree, which is why it would be nice to see some type of "marketplace feedback system" setup that works for BOTH buyers and sellers.
R Spirit
EF RaceRR

Postby downest » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:16 am

We had a minimum post count when ComposiMo was in charge a few years ago... I think it lasted for an entire day, then got removed because the forum was getting spammed with useless posts from people just trying to get their post count up. I would not support this policy at all, it's unfair to members who don't feel the need to post all the time, and it prevents new people from finding cars to get into the scene, and finding parts to fix their cars. Buy and sell at your own risk, it's not the Community's responsibility to watch out for each and every person's well being.

I actually just started looking for an 8th gen Civic Si for my girlfriend and although I've been a member of one of the 8th gen forums for a very long time I don't have enough posts, and the mods won't give me a free pass. I think it's stupid because I'm basically encouraged to go make a bunch of random posts. Still can't see the damn classifieds over there haha.
Tom Wood (Downes)
'91 CRX Si B18C5 #591 hill climber
'88 3.4Runner daily driver/trail rig
Wicked Performance Group
downest
Wicked Tom

Postby Baker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:00 am

downest wrote: I think it's stupid because I'm basically encouraged to go make a bunch of random posts. Still can't see the damn classifieds over there haha.

It shouldn't encourage that, if so, I think that's the wrong mindset to have then.
If anything it should encourage you to look around the forum and contribute more with thought out and meaningful posts.

If anything, maybe a minimum time period of membership and post count to post in the classifieds.
Post count to maybe encourage ppl to contribute and time period to see if they actually stick around.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby downest » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:26 am

It shouldn't encourage that, but it does. There is a big difference between making a post to make your post count go up, and making a post that matters, I think we all know that. Forced participation is not good participation.

Let me ask the supporters of this rule, what is the point exactly? How will the classifieds change with a policy like this?
Tom Wood (Downes)
Wicked Performance Group
downest
Wicked Tom

Postby Baker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 am

downest wrote:It shouldn't encourage that, but it does. There is a big difference between making a post to make your post count go up, and making a post that matters, I think we all know that. Forced participation is not good participation.

Let me ask the supporters of this rule, what is the point exactly? How will the classifieds change with a policy like this?

I only suggested having a minimum time period of membership with the thinking it may weed out a lot of the lurkers who have no real interest here, but make other ppl take note of the rest of the forum and have them contribute.

Personally, it makes no real difference to me one way or the other, i was just making a suggestion. I don't see any real issue with the way the classifieds are run now, other than the typical issues of ppl not being able to post prices or location.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby downest » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:36 am

I would be more likely to agree with a time period, but still it seems unnecessary. The inability to read the rules in the classifieds is a plague that haunts even the oldest of members.
Tom Wood (Downes)
Wicked Performance Group
downest
Wicked Tom

Postby inthewoods » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:48 am

downest wrote:The inability to read the rules in the classifieds is a plague that haunts even the oldest of members.

Bingo! If people read the rules the time spent moderating the classifieds would be cut tremendously.
inthewoods

Postby Baker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:12 pm

inthewoods wrote:
downest wrote:The inability to read the rules in the classifieds is a plague that haunts even the oldest of members.

Bingo! If people read the rules the time spent moderating the classifieds would be cut tremendously.

With prob as much probability as folks thumbing through the FAQ's, to avoid seeing the same simple questions pop up daily.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby daveb91 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:00 pm

Baker wrote:
inthewoods wrote:

With prob as much probability as folks thumbing through the FAQ's, to avoid seeing the same simple questions pop up daily.

AHHH the perfect forum!!!!!
daveb91

Postby Meech » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:43 pm

Why not instead of labeling the FAQs sections "FAQs", label them in red font "Read this BEFORE you post."?
ebob wrote:Wish I aged as well the HF. I think I know why I lost 5mpg, my car's carrying and additional 150 pounds.

'88 Dx - '93 MPV V6 2wd - Feedback
Meech

Postby daveb91 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:07 am

Meech wrote:Why not instead of labeling the FAQs sections "FAQs", label them in red font "Read this BEFORE you post."?

OMG you really think that would make a difference????? You could have it in red and have the text size take up hap the page and it still wouldn't make a difference.
daveb91

Postby Baker » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:44 am

Meech wrote:Why not instead of labeling the FAQs sections "FAQs", label them in red font "Read this BEFORE you post."?

You think ppl would still read that? The FAQ's are at the top of there respective forum section and well organized.
Ppl can't even read/follow the classified rules......

"Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs....." and ppl STILL miss it. :lol:
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby Willyboy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:56 pm

I think new users should be able to see whats for sale, but not be able to post anything up themselves.However,after two weeks or so,they should be granted that opportunity because I have seen some people that just come here to sell there things and then disappear.If thats the case,they should go do that elsewhere.So a wait of two weeks for new members sounds fair to me fine to me so that they could use that time to read some useful information on the forum like the FAQ's.
1990 CRX Si 5_Speed Y-49
Xbox GT: I Willyboy I
Willyboy

Postby Dave_Darling » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:27 pm

I think that people should be allowed to just post up things they have for sale. After all, if they're selling a CRX or some CRX-specific parts, it's better for us if we know about them.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby Meech » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:35 pm

Just a suggestion. Having it stand out more and making it a point to read before you post.

Willyboy wrote:However,after two weeks or so,they should be granted that opportunity (posting) because I have seen some people that just come here to sell there things and then disappear.

Though, this seems a bit better. Maybe block the other sub-forums like the Classifieds and the General Forums but leave the Technical Forums open to viewing. After a week or two grant full access and the ability to post?
ebob wrote:Wish I aged as well the HF. I think I know why I lost 5mpg, my car's carrying and additional 150 pounds.

'88 Dx - '93 MPV V6 2wd - Feedback
Meech

Return to crxcommunity.com Site Suggestions & Issues