(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

New CRX'er

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

New CRX'er

Postby SilverSoul » Mon May 04, 2020 12:34 pm

So I finally got my hands on a CRX! Been on the hunt for a clean one for a few years and finally found a '91 DX. Pretty much bone stock, garage kept, well maintained & came with receipts for repairs and such. I've had it about a week and have already gotten so much useful info from this site. So I just want to say thank you to everyone on here for already helping me out on some topics!

My uncle, who passed away unexpectedly about a decade ago, had a '90 Civic hatchback back in the day that he taught me to drive a stick in and I've been in love with that style of vehicle ever since. He was the 'cool' uncle who would take me out in it just to nail some corners and listen to White Zombie extremely loud through his killer sound system. I miss him dearly and know he would have loved to help me out on my new CRX project.

Anyway, that's my Honda history and I look forward to posting as my project progresses! Also, not sure the best way to post pics on forums, but imager.com seemed like a good way so, here goes..

https://imgur.com/undefined
https://imgur.com/SddEUJ8
https://imgur.com/ebKX1A9
SilverSoul

Re: New CRX'er

Postby jzxcrx » Mon May 04, 2020 5:05 pm

Hey! Congrats on the new CRX, have great fun with it. It looks great and Frost White is the best looking color for a CRX!
jzxcrx

Postby signalpuke » Tue May 05, 2020 5:42 am

Plans?
signalpuke

Postby Baker » Tue May 05, 2020 6:02 am

SilverSoul wrote:I've had it about a week and have already gotten so much useful info from this site. So I just want to say thank you to everyone on here for already helping me out on some topics!

Great to hear, glad people are searching and using the info that has been compiled on here!
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby SilverSoul » Tue May 05, 2020 3:11 pm

So as far as plans go.. First is definitely going to have to be tires and wheels. The tires on it now are a little rough. I know Rota Slipstreams are kind've common on CRX's but dang they look so good on them. To me, for a modern wheel, they look a little closer to being period correct for that car, which is what I'm kind've going for. Right now, I'm thinking Rota Slipstreams 15x7, a 195/50 FalkenZE960 tire (my buddy has this exact tire on his '70 MGB and loves them). I'm curious about the offset though.. I'm assuming +40 will be fine?? Would love to hear everyone's opinion on my wheel/tire choice.

After wheels/tires, 1.5"-2" lowering springs and shocks. Took her out on some twisties the other day and felt very floaty, even felt a little wheel hop a couple times. Felt a little dangerous, honestly. Next, I'm thinking I'll take care of any minor body imperfections and such and then do a Frost White respray. Probably spray the fender wells black while I'm at it. I may do a few minor things to the engine.. Honestly I'm not really worried about performance as much. I just enjoy the aesthetics of a CRX and just the overall vibe of it. Obviously if I was interested in performance I would've held out for an Si or another vehicle all together.. I'll probably throw some NGK plugs in it, maybe a header, possibly a cold-air intake..

Oh, and I'm going to have to get a sound system going on because right now, those stock speakers are baaaaad. Lol. I think one of those Kicker Hideaway subwoofers might be the way to go so I don't fill up all my trunk space.
SilverSoul

Postby signalpuke » Tue May 05, 2020 3:21 pm

Bushings are probably all shot.
Plan on replacing the ECU in the future with a stand alone, caps are leaking on these old ECUs.
I'd recommend not painting it if you don't need too. Go to a decent body shop and ask for a paint correction.
signalpuke

Postby 4drSpankR » Wed May 06, 2020 7:04 am

You'll be fine with that wheel offset, those Slipstreams do look good on a CRX. I would highly advise doing the bushings like signalpuke stated, it will make a world of difference. Hardrace makes a kit for these cars.
1991 HF - '97 B18C1
1989 Si - gone
4drSpankR

Postby SilverSoul » Wed May 06, 2020 9:31 am

Great point on the bushings. I'll throw that to the top of the list after wheels/tires.
SilverSoul

Return to The Lounge