(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Need help reviving stock 89 CRX HF

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Need help reviving stock 89 CRX HF

Postby grandmacrx » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:20 pm

Greetings all!
I was fortunate enough to live next to an older lady who has owned this 89 CRX HF since new. It was her husband’s car. He passed away in 2006 and the car has been sitting in the garage since. She did tell me that the car was serviced by Honda dealer within the last 10 years. The car has 48k original miles. Next weekend I plan on changing all the fluids, battery and filling the tires with air. I would prefer to keep this car stock as much as possible with exception of converting the rear breaks to disk and replacing the exhaust.

My questions to this community (budget isn’t an issue):
- what would you recommend replacing right away for a tune-up the right way?
- what brand and type of exhaust would be closest to stock?
- the undercarriage is in an incredible condition and I would prefer to keep it that way. What type of coating do you recommend for undercarriage protection?

Thanks everyone for your time!
Attachments
92C83D1E-0F67-4DBE-BBE7-20DD3FAFEA87.jpeg
89 CRX HF Engine
3699277E-7B11-406A-8459-AAC8F9B9E8D9.jpeg
89 CRX HF rear
806005BE-B857-4D4C-9DE8-635BA936A92A.jpeg
89 CRX HF
1990 Honda CRX HF with 48k original miles!
62-neck-snapping-hrspers | 50-prius-murgering-MPG 8)

Features:
Cup holders - NO | Power steering - NO | Air conditioning - NO | Passenger side mirror - NO | Fancy wheels - NO | Cassette deck - YES | Ashtray - YES :bounce:
grandmacrx

Re: Need help reviving stock 89 CRX HF

Postby Baker » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:48 am

The car is a 90-91 car, FYI, based on the front bumper cover, tail lights and seat belt style (door mounted).

grandmacrx wrote:My questions to this community (budget isn’t an issue):
- what would you recommend replacing right away for a tune-up the right way?
- what brand and type of exhaust would be closest to stock?
- the undercarriage is in an incredible condition and I would prefer to keep it that way. What type of coating do you recommend for undercarriage protection?

-Replace all the typical things, plugs, wires, distributor, fuel/oil/air filter. Change the trans and brake fluid.
Check all the lines under the car, fuel and brake. Check the brakes, sitting for this long, you're better off changing.

-Exhaust info, it's a few years old but still applies.
https://www.crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60150

-I wouldn't undercoat it. If it wasn't done from new and was driven at all, to me it's a waste. You'll never get it clean enough under it now to have the coating actually do anything. It may trap debris and rot from the inside out.
I would drive it and be diligent with undercarriage, automatic, car wash cleanings.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby grandmacrx » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:11 pm

Thanks for the info! I am a noob to CRX. I am just fascinated by this little car! I figured it was an 89 because that’s what I saw on the door sticker. But I just checked the title and it does say 90.
Would you convert the rear breaks to disks? Since the car is so light does it really make a difference?

Features:
Cup holders - NO | Power steering - NO | Air conditioning - NO | Passenger side mirror - NO | Fancy wheels - NO | Cassette deck - YES | Ashtray - YES :bounce:
grandmacrx

Postby jfrolang » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:52 pm

I would change nothing. With that kind of mileage on the clock you have essentially a museum piece. Treat it accordingly.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby Baker » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:59 am

grandmacrx wrote:Would you convert the rear breaks to disks? Since the car is so light does it really make a difference?

No. Replace what is needed. If it needs rear brake work, just replace with drums, shoes and hardware as needed with the same parts.

Keep it as is, get it mechanically reliable and enjoy it.
@ under 50k, it's got lots of life left.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby grandmacrx » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:17 pm

Thanks everyone for recommendations. I decided to keep the car as OEM as possible. So far I replaced the plugs, wires, pcv valve, brake lines, master cylinder, rear drums, rotors and pads. The 13 inch steelies were driving me insane thou so I put some 15inch GSR blades and now the wheel gap is driving me crazy :rofl:

I also discovered that the left front shock is leaking. Thinking about replacing the struts with Skunk2. Any objections on going that route? Should I go with another brand?

Features:
grandmacrx

Return to The Lounge