(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Is the Crx a classic?

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Is or will the Crx be considered a classic?

Yes, if not now, someday.
88%
Not a chance!
12%

Total votes : 111

Postby daveb91 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:47 pm

No and its still old.
91 CRX Si JRSC Turboedit ECU
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560256
daveb91

Postby shadowboy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:15 pm

ComposiMo wrote:Just because we're fans of this car doesn't and won't make it a "classic"...... of COURSE as a fan of it, you will always think that it'll have "classic" value someday.... but you're going to be the only one out there thinking that.

A "classic" to me is something that the everday-average-joe-shmo-ho-blo will look at, and immediately recognize as a truely special automobile.... Most people on the road see the CRX as just another little econobox... nothing special... its on the same level as a Hyundai Accent to them... deny it all you want, its the truth.

The Shelby Cobra is one of the first cars to come to mind that has this 'classic' status, as do some older street rods, muscle cars, etc... but only a few of them do.

As for it being "collectible"..... it will sorta be, but ONLY amongst the small handfull of people who embrace this vehicle as something special... and its value will only go up as long as those who love it continue to love it once they make a lot more money, and are willing to pay more for a clean example of what they love... and the clean ones need to become even more rare than they are right now. But if people grow older, and either lose interest in the econobox as their monetary means grow bigger, or decide that the car is just not for them anymore, then the value of them will not go up significantly.

As much as it pains me to say it, i don't think the CRX will ever gain the reputation or 'love' that older muscle cars and so forth are enjoying today amongst the general public... and when talking true 'classic' status, that is a VERY important yardstick.

Wow, I think I said more or less the same thing on RPR once when this topic came up.

Your post pretty much exactly sums up my thoughts on the idea too.

Btw, the car that got me into cars, and who could doubt its classic appeal, was the 1969 Ford Mustang coupe my mother owned when I was about 4 years old. My earliest childhood memories involve that car. I also have a soft spot for 67-69 Camaros.
Shawn
--------
'87 CRX HF
shadowboy

Postby nihkon » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:04 pm

In general, I agree with John's post as well.

I would add though that it's all a matter of time. I mean, the people that were driving around in brand new 55-57 Chevy's probably didn't think that they were driving around in "classics" either. And I'm sure the general public didn't care at that time about those cars either (At least, not to the extent that they do now.)
nihkon

Postby Baker » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:07 am

jfrolang wrote:
baker423 wrote:So the N meets do not justify that the car has a cult following either?

Why bring back a dead thread with something you should have said 7 months ago?

Of course bringing back a thread that actually pertains to Crx's, that some new members might find some interest in can't match the quality of a random thread/poll asking "Are Italians white" :rolleyes1:
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby jfrolang » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:34 am

baker423 wrote:
jfrolang wrote:
baker423 wrote:So the N meets do not justify that the car has a cult following either?

Why bring back a dead thread with something you should have said 7 months ago?

Of course bringing back a thread that actually pertains to Crx's, that some new members might find some interest in can't match the quality of a random thread/poll asking "Are Italians white" :rolleyes1:

You've made your point, that thread was in bad taste, but zombie threads are also negative, imo.
jfrolang
Site Admin

as much

Postby dirtbiker245 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:13 pm

as much as I love crx's, I personally dont consider them a classic... but im sure others will beg to differ. lol
1990 Nissan 300zx VG30DE(Being Converted to TT)(Daily Driver)1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (Donor Car)2000 BMW 323ci (head is off)1984 CRX 1.5L EW1 (Getting close!!!!)1974 Jeep CJ5
dirtbiker245

Postby daveb91 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:48 pm

still old and still not a classic.
daveb91

Postby Baker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:57 am

daveb91 wrote:still old and still not a classic.

:rolleyes1:
Yes we know it's an old thread, almost as old as your replies about it being old, as you've pointed out 2-3 times or so...
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby Ti Rider » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:55 am

I think we're actually talking about two different things - if the CRX is/will be a "classic" and if the CRX has potential to become "collectible". "Classic" cars have low production numbers and significance to their era. The CRX was sold in huge numbers (Honda's never released the production figures for 88-91 CRXs. Just a guess but the number would probably be around 500,000+). So it's not exactly rare. There are a few lower production models - SE, SiR, and Exclusive that would qualify as rare (none of these models were offered in the U.S.).

Next significance to it's era. The CRX arguably was the best car of the "hot hatch" era 84-91 (in the U.S. anyway). The problem is it wasn't first (VW GTI) nor was it the fastest (several hatches were faster). And being "best" is purely subjective (of course magazines of the era help make the point). But it's an argument that V dub fanboys would refute. So the CRX is neither "rare" nor did it have a singe significant factor in it's era so it won't be a "classic" until we're all old men and women (any car that's 50+ years old generally achieves "classic" status).

But on the other hand.....will the CRX become "collectible"? I think the answer is yes. The CRX reminds me very much of the original VW Beetle - sold in huge numbers, easy to work on/modify, slowly went from "seeing them everywhere" to collectible as their numbers declined. CRX prices reached their rock bottom 4-5 years ago and have steadily climbing ever since. The car has a strong cult following and is well thought of in the sportscar community.

I think CRX prices will really start to climb over the next 10-20 years as Gen X'ers start to retire. Like baby boomers with their muscle cars, I think Gen X'ers will get nostalgic and want the car they had in high school or college to tool around in on weekends. They won't be looking for Hemi Cudas or Boss 302's, they'll be looking for mint CRX Si's........
Last edited by Ti Rider on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
'89 Blade Silver CRX Si
Member #17
Ti Rider

Postby daveb91 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:29 am

baker423 wrote:
daveb91 wrote:still old and still not a classic.

:rolleyes1:
Yes we know it's an old thread, almost as old as your replies about it being old, as you've pointed out 2-3 times or so...

Its as much as a classic my 1984 Chevette was.
daveb91

Postby clegg » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:59 pm

its a great car and they will never again make anything quite like it. So that makes it a classic right?
88si
clegg

Postby daveb91 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:17 pm

clegg wrote:its a great car and they will never again make anything quite like it. So that makes it a classic right?

They couldnt make anything like it anymore it wouldnt pass crash standard of today.
daveb91

Postby Hybrid88 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:31 pm

i think its too early to tell if it will be widely considerd a classic. since im too young to know how people felt about the cars that are considered classics, muscle cars, etc back when they were twenty years old, its a little more difficult to predict. i think its really up to how people will view it in 10-20 years from now and hot rodding changes in that time. prob better chance of it being considered more of a modern muscle car than a classic though.
Hybrid88

Postby xNRxJose » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:30 am

classic all the way :)
1990 Honda CRX DX "Black Dahlia"
Vouch: RedRex,shortA25,unbalancedwood,QueenMary,NinaAndNeal,ChokolAwt,Downest,CupCake
Wicked Innovation :twisted:
xNRxJose

Postby hrtbrk1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:56 am

jfrolang wrote:I think this question begs for the definition of classic. According to the DMV, a vehicle can't have classic tags until it's 25 years old. So by that standard, a CRX is not classic. (yet)

In a more common usage of the term though, whereby a vehicle that is no longer in production is highly thought of and in demand, I think that a stock CRX qualifies as classic.

even though this was stated about a year and some odd months ago, i still think this is the best repsonse .

of course, with more time applied, a stock Si would be considered more of a classic to me within 10-15 yrs .
88 HF w/B18 for sale
95 240sx SE

imgoingforit wrote:Besides didn't you know all crx's come factory with a cup holder? It's right between the e-brake and the pass. seat.
hrtbrk1

Postby Baker » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:23 am

There is no doubt that Crx prices are on the rise.
Will they reach the heights of a Barrett-Jackson type of numbers and be sought after as the muscle cars from the 60'/70's are, prob not.

But when you see 2, fairly mint, low milage, stock 90/91 Si's go for over $10k, that nearly $3k less than sticker price over 15yrs ago, that has to say something.
Whether it's a classic or just a cult following is a debate that will continue to go on.
Baker
Mr. Search

Re: Is the Crx a classic?

Postby Baker » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:05 pm

Revisiting this to compare and see how things have changed in just over a decade since the last post.

https://bringatrailer.com/honda/crx/?q=crx
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby BrakeExpert » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:41 pm

I got two thumbs up from other cars within the past 24 hours. Car people know the CRX and like the CRX.
BrakeExpert

Postby awayboy99 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:05 pm

I just bought a '90 crx dx. new to the forum. friends said i was nuts for buying it. it's not a daily driver for me and it's not mint or even close to being so. but i did see that Hagerty.com included the 88-91 crx si on its 2020 list of collector cars that are on the rise. that doesn't make my car worth $30K. but it does elevate its value somewhat. it does to me, at least...
awayboy99

Previous

Return to The Lounge