(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

1987 HF Converted to FI-My first post

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

1987 HF Converted to FI-My first post

Postby Gabbydad » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:10 pm

I have had my CRX for 10 years and I love the car. I have been using it as a commuter and have only done maintenance to it to keep it going. A year ago the EW1 gave up the ghost and it has been sitting at my house until I could convince my wife to let me put money into it. I have succeeded and also it is in the garage and I am pulling the engine and getting ready to restore it. I want to switch it over to fuel injection and make it a car that I can drive everyday for the next ten years. I would like it to be a 125-150hp car that gets at least 30+mpg and is reliable and I would like to spend under $3k for the swap. All you old Pros tell me if I'm dreaming and what would be the best engine/trans swap to make it happen and how much i should expect to fork out. I know there are lots of variables so lets start the conversation.
Gabbydad

Re: 1987 HF Converted to FI-My first post

Postby signalpuke » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:20 pm

I don't know a whole lot about the first generation car and swaps. I want to say there were D-series swaps in the past, so maybe a kit is out there. If there is, I'd guess Hasport or RedPepperRacing sells it (no idea if RPR is still a thing). Guessing you're carbed currently? Going to EFI is going to require an ECU, and all of the old ECUs are running into issues with leaking capacitors, so take that into account when you run across a 'deal' on a used Hondata unit. You'll have to send it back to them and have them replace the caps unless you can do it yourself. If you have to swap the transmission to get the new engine in it, then search for an HF second generation CRX one. I was getting almost 50mpg in my old car, and trapped a 17s in second gear at like 60mph or some [crud]. Best transmission for saving on gas. Engine was a D16Z6 and had enough power to get on the highway without being ran over by oncoming traffic.
signalpuke

Re: 1987 HF Converted to FI-My first post

Postby Gabbydad » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:40 pm

Thank you for that info, hoping for someone who has done such a swap to chime in
Gabbydad

Return to The Lounge