(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

CRXHX - D16Y5 swap, full OBD2 conversion

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: CRXHX - D16Y5 swap, full OBD2 conversion

Postby StormTrooperCRX » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:18 pm

It was a fuel tank pressure sensor error that came up as the CEL Code! Hmmm...so right now I have some transmission fluid leaking, coolant leaking, and oil leaking (could just be around the oil pan). Should I save this car? How many miles were on the original 1998 engine that was installed? It still sounds good, runs good, but radiator hoses and thermostat plus new struts and shocks (just to get started) will be upwards of $1300...if I knew how many miles on the engine that was installed it would help a lot! Thanks!
StormTrooperCRX

Postby Turd_Fergusun » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Have you heard anything back on this build? Was it worth it? Any news on the MPG or functionality? This thread is incredible by the way thank you so much for making it.
Turd_Fergusun

Postby StormTrooperCRX » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:26 pm

Yes! So to clarify, the white CRX featured in this forum was converted by user "suspendedhatch" for a friend. Then, that friend sold the car to me.

I was on a snowboarding trip in Utah, trying to get home, and didn't realize I had been given a pretty good deal on this car, but as I've owned it and run into CRX people, now I know it was actually quite lucky. I was just looking for a Craigslist car to get me home from Utah to Michigan after my snowboarding trip.

Since then I have driven this car across the country several times, without any major issues. It averages around 40mpg!

The only problem I had recently is a fuel pressure sensor light made the CEL turn on, but there is no fuel pressure sensor installed, so it must just be some glitch in the conversion. I would like to get this addressed, but am not sure where to start. Other than that, I do worry about the flywheel being exposed as I drive through snow in the mountains, or desert terrain with lots of dust...

Next I hope to do a little restoration to the vehicle, and in that way do justice to the conversion suspendedhatch completed. I am looking at getting some good shocks and struts, not a race car suspension, but more of a rally suspension. I have have been impressed with how well this car does in the mountains, going up steep hills, getting me down some dirt roads with good clearance, so I like the idea of giving it a rally suspension so it can keep exploring with me.
StormTrooperCRX

Postby Turd_Fergusun » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:10 pm

Yeah the work he put into making this car functional is incredible. I actually own a CRX HF and a Civic HX and was thinking of doing exactly what he did to your car. A perfect combo of weight and power with what sounds like almost no MPG loss. This is really the only thread I have found that discusses the process in such detail. It's so cool. Maybe I'll see this car sometime when I'm down in SLC.
Turd_Fergusun

Postby lowerclass » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:29 am

Just curious did u use the obd2 fuse box under dash ?
lowerclass

Postby suspendedhatch » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:45 pm

StormTrooperCRX wrote:Yes! So to clarify, the white CRX featured in this forum was converted by user "suspendedhatch" for a friend. Then, that friend sold the car to me.

Hey! I told Jessica to turn you onto this thread. Glad to see you found your way here.

The fuel tank pressure CEL isn't a glitch. You need a 96-97 HX MT ECU. 37820-P2N-A21, A22, L21, or L22. In 1998+ emissions regulations required addition of a fuel tank pressure sensor inside the gas tank. Despite the CEL, it doesn't affect the way the engine runs, and that is why I felt okay leaving it.
It's a 5V sensor. The ECU expects to see 4.5V to 1.5V. When there's pressure in the tank, the ECU stores fuel vapor in the charcoal canister to use for starting and when the coolant temp is below operating temp. It accounts for about 3mpg.

As for the flywheel cover, a custom one will have to be made. It wouldn't be hard to get some sheet metal, put a couple folds and holes into it, but at the time I did this conversion I hadn't messed with fabricating sheet metal yet.

I would have done a lot more with this car, but it wasn't my money to spend. At one time I had found a clean white door in the junkyard but she turned it down. I was on the hunt for interior but again she couldn't justify the expense. I attempted to swap the seat rails onto some good seats but the 88 seat pans are closer to 87 than 89+, wholly different design.

If you are going to restore/upgrade the car, post up some pics! And if you ever decide to part with it, bring it to San Diego. Even though I have a 90 Si, I'd love to pick up where I left off. My email is my username at gmail. There's a link to my website in my signature.
Last edited by suspendedhatch on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
How to install your own car alarm.
http://www.civic-eg.com/causeforalarm/
suspendedhatch

Postby suspendedhatch » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:48 pm

lowerclass wrote:Just curious did u use the obd2 fuse box under dash ?

No need to. Both CRX fuses boxes are intact.
How to install your own car alarm.
http://www.civic-eg.com/causeforalarm/
suspendedhatch

Postby jgarce0928 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:07 am

Hello all,

The information in this thread is great and I've been planning on doing this conversion for years. Now that I finally have the time, I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. Here's my setup: 90 SI with a JDM ITR swap, using a P73 ECU. I have a complete dash and engine harness from 98 4dr CIVIC MT but I'm stuck at the GREEN connector (C131 22-pin from OBD2 ECU to the car).

Do you have a write up for that plug?

Thanks
jgarce0928

Previous

Return to The Showroom