Honda CRX Forum banner

MexiChriS 1988 CRX Si

18K views 73 replies 21 participants last post by  vanrij 
#1 ·
Here's my 1988 Honda CRX Si. Bought it on July 7, 2010 out in Anaheim, CA (from CRXrex) for about $940. Much love/thanks to my bros Andrew & Brandon + Nate for tagging along/photographer & especially Moog for a big help as he scoped out the Rex for me a night before for the go ahead on the purchase as I was way out in Lancaster, CA.

CRX Community Member - CRXrex: Craigslist ad info for my 1988 Honda CRX Si
"'88 CRX Si, 100%stock, new fuel pump new fuel filter, runs very good and very good gas saver too, the speedometer cable is squeaking because it can use some lube or replaced, small crack on windshield,front bumper is a bit slanted, paint is fading(come on its an '88), no back seats no cargo cover, it has a 12" sub and some speakers bumps good, needed the car to get to school and work but now I'm buying a car from a dealership so you can say I'm upgrading..i am a Honda enthusiast so i did treat this car like a baby, never revved passed 4500rpms, changed oil every month and 2 weeks washed every week and vacuumed every Sunday kept it as clean as possible"
I'm surprised I was able to dig these up and still even have them

Now I was only able to attain this car with the help from a friend (Moog) here on the CRX Community site as he inspected it the night before my purchase. Here are the pictures he got of it July 6, 2010 before I bought it the next day. I'm beyond very thankful for his help to this day.

Also I posted stuff elsewhere on here so ya can read up on little things right ---> here <---

When I Purchased My '88 CRX Si On July 7, 2010

YouTube VIDEO:
Just uploaded this. Here's a YouTube video link bellow when I went to smog it the day of purchase, luckily the seller WAS willing to pay for smog (CA law) and it passed with flying colors !!
1988 Honda CRX Si SMOG (2010-07-07) - YouTube

Same day as when I purchased my rex (July 7, 2010) I arrived at my parents pad to clean it up and show it off to my family (bros/friends in the pictures)

These edited photos bellow I posted online elsewhere. Ran across them and their the reason I started digging up my old photos and wanted my 1988 Honda CRX Si back on the road and share it on here.

These fuses and Chilton manual are probably the only thing I bought for my rex after purchasing it; went super broke and homeless, but I had a 1988 CRX Si!! So I started to review it till I got most of it in memory for my engine removal, to motor swap, and electrical wiring (although it didn't help much). More on all that next time...

The stock D16a6 engine lasted me about 4-5 months after purchase. Oddly, tranny was still perfect with no grinds!! Ended up selling for my "CRX fund". But this engine ended up sending me into a world of mess with the loss of 2 jobs. Now this is a late low budget build thread, so I won't be doing anything to crazy or super fast.

See less See more
#3 ·
July 16, 2010 - The Battery
Needed the CRX for work, which my bro would drive me to, but the battery kept dying on us. Would keep us from freshly starting the CRX Si. Even after having run it and turning it off for few minutes, no go. Was a major pain in the ass. Especially when I had a job and it cost me two of them.
Anyways my bro helped me out and we bought a newer used battery, which somewhat helped, but still didn't really help.

Now I had little cash from working from the 1st job I lost. So I used my money on some tuneup supplies as my bro suggested I do. Just to note, I hate Pennzoil, I'm a Mobil 1 or Honda OEM oil type of guy; but low on cash means little sacrifices.

July 22 - 23, 2010 - Last Of The Supplies
Picked up new battery terminals and had a photoshoot with NGK V-power spark plugs w/Pep Boys bag! Looking at these brings back memories. I walked 15miles on foot to get these to fix my car, knowing I needed money badly for food or clothes, couldn't resist the thought of having my car running smoother.

July 24, 2010 - My Homeless Bed
I spent lots of time sleeping here and thinking of what to do with my '88 CRX Si and what my next move was... So I started jailbreaking iPhones! What a 'job' huh?

August 11, 2010 - Moving Pickup
Couldn't keep the CRX at my friend Amanda's apartments anymore. Luckily jailbreaking iPhones made me some income for this Uhaul. So my blood brother Brandon Uhauled it to my bro Kamren's pad (the one taking me to work). Did me a big favor as he let me park it there till I got it to run.
Trip started from Bakersfield at Sonics! Gotta grub right?

Ended trip in Lancaster and heres my brother Brandon

My ugly sis haha and my bike that I used for like a week till rear tire fell apart and I ate ****...

Heres the homie, my brother Kamren! haha

August 14, 2010 - CRX is Alive again!
CRX had a fuel issue and that obnoxious no-start issue. So we did the tuneup and I had called out that it has to be the main relay for no start. Googled for days about my issues, but couldn't get the damn thing out, so I never bothered with it. Luckily it started, needed help with starter fluid though, so we took it for a spin to subway!

August 18, 2010 - Mod Bug Bites
Since the car started to run better and even though I had no license. Decided to start driving my CRX. Had no place to stay at or sleep for that matter. Decided I had to do what I have to as another night in the streets didn't cut it anymore. So I started picking spots around town...
One night I slept by some Honda junkies, they noticed me by my CRX and constant nights pulled over by their curb, asked me to chill so I started to. Gotta admit seeing them work on this engine, from nothing but a transmission, had me going for working on Honda's or any type of car. Was hooked and ever since then I can't stop messing with cars.

August 18 - 27, 2010 The Damages & Pranks
Since the car started to workout some more. Started to visit my girl some more. She always did random **** to my CRX and pulled pranks on me. She ended up blasting my sunroof headliner with an engraving and her random sneak ins into my car placing blown condoms... What a jokester
If you take note in the last picture. I'm missing my sunroof switch. **** was broken and nonfunctional, removed it!

October 13, 2010 - Sound System
So when I bought the '88 CRX Si these came along with it. Worked great and bumped nicely. Except it sucked for keeping lowkey hidden out of sight. Decided I had enough and removed it due to rattling from subwoofer silver plastic trim and the annoying amplifier reflection in the trunk. Plus the wiring layout was ridiculous!!

October 16, 2010 - Harbor Freight Tools For Engine Swap!
Decided to pickup a small set of tools for my wire tuck and engine swap plans. Wasn't balling with money, had to bite the bullet and pickup with what I had enough for. This small set actually got me through my swap and countless jobs; idk how! Motivated I guess... Still have and use these tools today actually; barely even got a new set of tools which I barely use; Craftsman!

Seriously the best investment I went out and got for myself. This set does wonders if your dedicated and take care of them.

October - December 2010
Engine Swap + Wire Tuck

Finally had a place to live and I went at this straight forward without a care. Then halfway after removing the fenders and bumpers. Started to research on wiring schematics for safety. Took me awhile as I wanted to do this one time and a clean job. Found out that I had to cut wires to extend or relocate, then solder and heat shrink, for proper function and a way of good working standard habits. Pretty basic and simple in all honesty.

Because of all that my engine bay wire tuck took 2 months to get down; supply wise, but having taken months to finish when I had added up all the hours it only took me 4 days to accomplish. I can now finish that in 2-3 days for any EF, EK, DA and some newer Integra models. Its all about wire schematics. Review, study, plan out, and tackle it wisely!

October 18, 2010 Removed Fenders

October 19, 2010 Engine Bay Prep

October 20, 2010 Bedroom for CRX Storage

Back at the wire tuck. Started to deal with the headlight wiring. I brought it into the interior cabin; through the firewall grommet, for an idea where to cut and tuck away by the fenders. Not much done but it sat like this for awhile.

October 23, 2010 Engine Bay Before
Several pics to display my dirt engine bay and for memories...

October 24, 2010 Wire Tuck Supplies
Got most of what I needed to start. Was only missing out on solder pen tool and rosin-core solder wire to get going. I have to say GB products are amazing! I stand by them as I used several similar products and none compare. Excuse the radioshack flashlight it was free without purchase with a coupon.
Wire tuck items:
- 16 AWG wire (4x)
- Zip Ties (2x)
- Lighter (1x)
- Electric Tape (4x)
- GB heat shrink (4x)

October 26, 2010 Stock 1988 CRX Si D16a6 Engine
Last few pics of my stock D16a6 engine before I pull it out for an engine swap...

October 31, 2010 My New Engine: ZC SOHC
I had bought this engine from ScottMog which basically I got from Danny (Dmeluis) both from CRX Community. Scott only wanted the motor mounts and stainless steel DC Sports headers so I ended up getting this for $650 if I remember correctly. It was listed for like $850 and had OEM parts and what not done to it. Plus the owner of course took major care of his 1988 CRX Si so I had to get it once the price had dropped. I had gotten screwed on a B16a engine on Craigslist... Only thing I hate was that it was missing the shift linkage which Danny forget to give Scott.
Well 1st pic is Danny's from the sales ad the other two are mine...
What I bought:
- ZC SOHC complete
- Low millage engine
- CRX Si transmission
- NGK spark pugs
- missing shift linkage, ha

nylumiro24 said:
Alright brother, Now just keep this thread posted. What are your plans?
Oh, will do! CRX Si plans?
- Engine swap
- Finish wire tuck
- Fix ugly dent on rear right side
- Turbo setup *just an idea right now*

Funds are short due to engine swap and wire tuck + gas money for Lancaster trip I gotta make Friday... Main priority is to get my Rex running and reliable asap as I gotta make it to an important mission/service to Lancaster, CA on Friday ...My moms passed away :cry:

Greasemonky89 will be giving me a hand to help me make it happen!

#8 ·
Its MOG hahaha :)

MexiChriS said:
nylumiro24 said:
Alright brother, Now just keep this thread posted. What are your plans?
Oh, will do! CRX Si plans?
- Engine swap
- Finish wire tuck
- Fix ugly dent on rear right side
- Turbo setup *just an idea right now*

Funds are short because engine swap/wire tuck + gas money for Lancaster trip I gotta make Friday... So I'll keep my other idea's locked in till I can see what direction I can go in... Just building a reliable Rex for now & gonna gather minty interior pieces over time.

Like I said though, main top priority is to get my Rex reliable/running asap as I gotta make it to an important mission/service to Lancaster, CA on Friday ...My moms passed away :cry:

Greasemonky89 will be giving me a hand to help me make it happen!
wtf.................... did this just happen? damn im sorry about that man... @@

#10 ·
Thanks everybody, means a lot to me, every things all good though :)b

Anyways, Greasemonky89 helped me out & thought me a lot this past Wednesday & Thursday. Although we didn't manage to swap in the engine in time for Friday it was better than nothing. Thanks for all the help man!

Well he's snagging up my D16a6 & Distributor (its all here for ya whenever buddy). Now all I got is a spare/4sale: starter, alternator, intake manifold, Si transmission :lol:

#11 ·
MexiChriS said:

Anyways, Greasemonky89 helped me out & thought me a lot this past Wednesday & Thursday. Although we didn't manage to swap in the engine in time for Friday it was better than nothing. Thanks for all the help man!

Well he's snagging up my D16a6 & Distributor (its all here for ya whenever buddy). Now all I got is a spare/4sale: starter, alternator, intake manifold, Si transmission :lol:
hustle that money back! :lol:

#13 ·
MexiChriS said:

I'll keep them for spares...but that's just me. :mrgreen:

#14 ·
MexiChriS said:

every time i hit up Bakersfield ill hit u up till we get the motor in if you dont have in by the time i come back. yea man thanks ill pick it up next time i see ya. it was an experience never will i do put that **** in ghetto style or try again. hope all is well buddy

#15 ·
ed8snail said:
Polish those rims!!! look how mine came out.............
Don't have money/products to polish my rims... Plus aren't those rims like plastic? I never really took a look at my rims. Always wanted Axis OG Oldskool, Work Equips 01, along with several Mugen rims; especially those sewer caps... But if I manage to find something in the garage, I'll get to it so thanks :)b

dmlemus said:
I'll keep them for spares...but that's just me. :mrgreen:
Yea, I'm considering on doing that, but the fact that I got no job and need money to get my car going... its pretty tempting :twisted:

greasemonky89 said:
every time i hit up Bakersfield ill hit u up till we get the motor in if you dont have in by the time i come back. yea man thanks ill pick it up next time i see ya. it was an experience never will i do put that **** in ghetto style or try again. hope all is well buddy
No prob, know where I live and we cool now. Feel free to hit me up anytime ya come out. Anyways, I got good news, just check back on here later today bro! OHH almost forgot, ghetto rigging does suck, but its do able! :shock:

#17 ·
greasemonky89 said:
MexiChriS said:
yea with 2 nice big floor jack and enough block of course but not with out set-up lol
NAWWW i mean my scrony ass & just that jack my homie lent me (no blocks) + my cars front end (without the crossmember) with it just leveled on the ground naturally.

I literally hugged my engine for 2hrs 30min adjusting it in place, just holding onto it, so it wouldn't fall off the jack onto my car or on me in anyway hahaha SO IT'S DOABLE with 1 person & a big jack!

I think I can manage it under an hour next time though the same way. But fuck that, a cherry picker will most definitely be used, safest & quickest! :nod:

#22 ·
Alright, so my swap has been done for some time, major draw back was my passenger side lower control arm. The lower locking nut (with the pin, I think its called a cotter pin?) would not go onto the bolt at all. So I had issues with that for 2-3 days! With luck & little/less effort, woke up & I finally got it in. So I started putting my ride back together today. I'll post pics when I get the time :mrgreen:

#24 ·
MexiChriS said:
Alright, so my swap has been done for some time, major draw back was my passenger side lower control arm. The lower locking nut (with the pin, I think its called a cotter pin?) would not go onto the bolt at all. So I had issues with that for 2-3 days! With luck & little/less effort, woke up & I finally got it in. So I started putting my ride back together today. I'll post pics when I get the time :mrgreen:
castle nut yea that bastard was bitch glad u got it in bro where the pic's

#25 ·
November 7, 2010 ZC SOHC Finally Swapped
I had Jose (GreaseMonkey89) come over to try and help me swap the engine in. Didn't workout without an engine crane. So we called it a night and I'm thankful as he came out from Lancaster to Bakersfield just to give me a hand. Great guy with a lot of love for his CRX!!
Anyways since that didn't workout. Took a few days till what you see here is what I used to swap the engine in myself. Total of 3-4hrs hunched over trying to get everything in place to bolt down. This is how I do all my swaps now, dedication...

November 9, 2010 Minor Work
Was getting dirty, messing with my suspension piecing together everything and still had to deal with tucking the headlight wiring to the fenders.

November 12, 2010 Moogs CRX Accident
Picture says it all. This mans CRX was totaled. Sad to see... Hes he guy that helped me get my '88 CRX Si.

November 16, 2010 Battery Relocation Setup
Wiring wise, not the best setup to go with, as it came from a subwoofer kit that I ordered from Amazon. Then again a 4g wire setup was what I was aiming for and at the cost I couldn't refuse. Then I got a ANL fuse holder and 250AMP ANL fuse from Amazon. Reused my battery terminals since they were still mint. Hope this helps someone if they're curious at what to do/get for battery relocation to the trunk.

91rexdx said:
are you going to change the muffler? if so i wanna buy yours lol.
Sorry man, keeping my muffler, I love it... I am actually trying to figure out some way to get ahold of a Skunk2 setup but with the dual tips welded on them. Just don't know which company to go with that has dual tip stainless steel. Sucks Skunk2 doesn't make it like the stock Si

#26 ·
MexiChriS said:
91rexdx said:
are you going to change the muffler? if so i wanna buy yours lol.
Sorry man, keeping my muffler, I love it... I am actually trying to figure out some way to get ahold of a Skunk2 setup but with the dual tips welded on them. Just don't know which company to go with that has dual tip stainless steel. Sucks Skunk2 doesn't make it like the stock Si
how about hks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.