(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

1drivinmofo's crx project

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

1drivinmofo's crx project

Postby 1drivinmofo » Thu May 19, 2011 12:28 pm

So today I decide to start my project tread. It may be slow at some points because I sometimes lack motivation, but I figured I’d give it a shot anyway.
My CRX story started off when I was 18, a friend of mine just picked up an 89 dx with a zc swap after totaling his da Integra. He came by my job after I got off and asked me to go for a ride, so we jumped in his car and cruised down the high way. At this point it was the fastest car I’ve been in. He drove to an empty parking lot and did an e-brake turn, I thought to myself this is the most fun I have had in a car. The next day at work another one of my friends stopped by, I never noticed his car before, but he was driving a 90 si with the usual bolt-ons . At that point I knew I had to get rid of the Geo Prizm that I was driving to get one of these cars. I searched the local newspapers over the next few weeks to find one, and when I did it was a clean white 91 si. When I purchased the car I couldn’t even drive a 5-speed, I would spin wheels coming out of 1st every time. The drive home with the car was one of the most memorable moments with the CRX. My friend’s with the CRX’s came with me to purchase the car it was awesome to ride home 3 CRX’s on the highway. A few months later my CRX was totaled, when I was t-bones by and SUV. Over the next few years I drove stock Honda’s and Acura’s, until I purchased a 5th gen hatch. That’s when the Honda bug bit; I swapped a GSR motor with every bolt-on you could think of. It had an Integra dash swap, Momo seats and so much more...
Image Image Image
About two years after owning the car the motor blew and I parted it out. After that I went to an EK hatch with a d16Y8 swap and type-r exterior parts. While driving this car I still had the shell of the EG, which I traded for a CRX with a D16z6 swap. The CRX sat in a garage for about a year while I drove the EK, until the day I was rear ended by an old lady. That’s when I figured it’s time to break out the CRX, since it was an 88 I could get historic tags (no emissions, no inspection). I drove this car for the summer and picked up and accord for a daily.

Image Image this is what the car pretty much looked like when I got it…. (No exhaust and steel wheels)
So the 1st thing I did to the car was put an RS*R exhaust on it. The open headers and the fumes gave me a headache.
Next I added Omni power adjustable coil-over’s and Rays engineering wheels, that I still had from the EG hatch…..
I also added an EM racing rear strut bar, c-pillar bar and the triangulated bar that ties them all together
(picture taken while removing the sound deadening)

Next I installed some carbon fiber mirrors that I picked up at the junk yard for $20. The clear on the carbon fiber was chipping away so I sanded them and sprayed some primer on them…
Last edited by 1drivinmofo on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it has wheels or tits, it will give you problems...
"Without racing, there is no Honda" - Soichiro Honda

88 crx project

1drivinmofo's for sale thread
1drivinmofo

Re: 1drivinmofo's crx project

Postby REXzAcTLy904 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:00 pm

wow! Crazy story... clean rex!!! :-)b Welcome to the community!
Umm... [crud] happens, then you step in it! -ReXZacTLy904-
REXY - DD- 1989 REX Si... ALL STOCK ( almost back to clean Y-49 status!)
HOMIE - 1998 HONDA CIVIC HX... ALL STOCK (SILVER) - STORAGE HOE FOR NOW.

Here's my thread for REXY..
https://www.crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43846
REXzAcTLy904

Postby ohisofly » Fri May 20, 2011 1:08 am

That is indeed a crazy story, have any pics of your white crx before it was totaled? In for moar pics 8)
1991 Crx Si - My build thread

"I believe in the sun even when it is not shining. I believe in love even when I feel it not. I believe in God even when He is silent." -Written on a wall in a concentration camp
ohisofly

Postby nylumiro24 » Fri May 20, 2011 5:19 am

Welcome, share more pics if you can...
nylumiro24
El Chapulín

Postby 1drivinmofo » Fri May 20, 2011 6:03 am

I do not have any of the pictures of the 1st CRX or the EK, my computer had gotten a virus and wiped the hard drive clean......
It’s been raining all day here in Baltimore, so no work got done on the CRX today.
I picked up some 90-91 taillights the other day. Since I was stuck in the house I wanted to make some new gaskets for them…
I Went to Wal-mart to pick up some foam
Image ($5.99 for 12 sheets)
Traced the old gaskets that came with the 90-91 tail light, cut them out, and glued two pieces together…
Came out looking good …..

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby sicknick » Fri May 20, 2011 8:16 am

Can you tell me the restrictions on historic car tags, I am interested in registering my car like that also if possible.
sicknick

Postby 1drivinmofo » Fri May 20, 2011 9:46 am

sicknick wrote:Can you tell me the restrictions on historic car tags, I am interested in registering my car like that also if possible.

This is taken off of the MVA website:

Historic:

To qualify as a historic vehicle, your vehicle must not have been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original construction, and must be 20 model years or older.
A historic vehicle 60 years or older may obtain a one-time, permanent, non-transferable registration. This vehicle registration does not qualify for specialty plates.
Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).

Street Rod:

To qualify as a street rod, your vehicle must be 25 years old or older and must have been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design.
Vehicles classified as street rod certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).

Since I don’t drive my car everyday I just made sense for me to get the historic tags. (Occasional transportation and similar uses) the MVA does not clarify what "occasional" is, I called them and they told me it was just not every day. I know a few people driving around with historic tags on their daily drivers and never had a problem....

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby sicknick » Fri May 20, 2011 11:24 am

thanks for the info
sicknick

Postby Popov23 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:12 pm

looking good, crazy story of bad luck
check me out on facebook peter varenchick
Popov23

Postby 1drivinmofo » Tue May 31, 2011 7:53 am

I really haven’t done anything to the car this past week, but here is some stuff I picked up…
I’m going to need another rear wings west bumper because this one looks like the kid I picked it up from cut holes in it and fiber glassed over them…. Let me know if anyone has one……

I installed the 90-91 tail lights, looks much better in my opinion…

Removed a few things from under the hood….

Installed the 90-91 head lights and sat the wings west bumper on (I did not bolt the bumper down since I have to get one of the bolts out that broke when removing the bumper support)
I still need to get some 90-91 corner lamps.

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby 1drivinmofo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:44 am

The other day when I was putting in the 91 head lights I saw how sloppy the engine bay had been painted black. I removed everything off the front of the car and started to wipe it down.
As I started to wipe some of the built up dirt off I seen a few little spots of rust… not that bad at all
After I discovered the few rust spots I decided to use some stripper and take it down to bare metal…
After some using some wire wheels the rest of the paint came right off…
Then I used some Rust-oleum rust reformer on the rusted areas after wire brushing of all the surface rust…

so today i will be primering the bare metal and maybe some paint
Last edited by 1drivinmofo on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby 91SiRexx » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:03 am

Looking good man.
My Ef Built Thread viewtopic.php?t=36206
91SiRexx

Postby 1drivinmofo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:59 am

91SiRexx wrote:Looking good man.

thanks....

primer is done......

also found 2 pictures of my old EK hatch....

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby 1drivinmofo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:22 am

Not a really big update but I cleaned the t-bar down to bare metal along with the bumper support brackets.
Also I got the core support painted black… looks a lot better then what it was before, and I know there is no cancer lurking….
Before
After
Now I have to clean up the bumper support and repaint it then that can go back together…..

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby vanrij » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:23 am

This is coming along nicely, keep up the good work!
vanrij

Postby 1drivinmofo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:33 pm

vanrij wrote:This is coming along nicely, keep up the good work!

Thanks

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby 1drivinmofo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:39 am

Got a few more things done for the car
T-bar, bumper support brackets, and battery tie down are painted
I also stripped down the front cross member down. Here is a picture
Now I have to get the bumper support painted, clean all the bolts up from the front end and reassemble.

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby 1drivinmofo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:03 am

I started bolting the front end back together…
I also picked up a Deka battery model ETX20L - 15.5 lbs - 270 CCA's and I made this battery tray and tie down…
i'm going to be camping this weekend, so it looks like no work will be getting to get done to the car this weekend...
Last edited by 1drivinmofo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby 1drivinmofo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 am

I picked up some new energy suspension “strut rod bushings” #16.7102R for my freshly painted cross member.
Also I installed the clock delete that I picked up from vanrij
Then I stripped the paint from where the cross-member bolts up to the Trans mount. The OEM battery tray left some surface rust….
Stay tuned for more updates…

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby 1drivinmofo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:52 am

Now you see me….
Now you don’t…
A/c and heat deleted
Removed the heat and the a/c because the car is not going to be driven when it’s cold outside and half of the a/c system was missing. Also it makes room for the battery’s new home and soon to follow wire tuck….

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby built716 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

great progress bro :-)b check out my build
my h22a build thread chlick here-------> viewtopic.php?f=26&t=50359

h22vtec coming soon!!!!!
built716

Postby 1drivinmofo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:28 am

built716 wrote:great progress bro :-)b check out my build

thanks built716..... i'll check it out

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby 1drivinmofo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:49 pm

So today I started working on my battery relocation project. I purchased a Deka ETX20L battery like 2 weeks ago and I did not want to put it under the hood since I plan on doing a wire tuck in the near future. I plan on relocating the battery on top of the exhaust tunnel behind the shifter console. So today I started to fabricate my new glove box set up. First I made a card board cut out of the shape of the glove box. Then I traced the card board on to lexan and cut the shape out...
This is where I test fitted my lexan to make sure it fit tight…
Next I cut out the holes for the remote terminals and the volt meter. There is also a 60amp fuse behide the lexan. I’m still waiting on my battery cut off switch to get here so that can be installed next to the volt meter…
As soon as the rest of the stuff comes in for this project I can finish it up...

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby 1drivinmofo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:40 am

Since my last update i have been really sick, it sucks to have a cold in the summer time. I spent Saturday morning working on my girls EG coupe, painted the valve cover pink, welded her exhaust back together since the weld broke at the muffler and the pipe, and I also installed GSR front lower control arms with energy suspension bushings with the GSR front sway bar… later that day we went to artscape, which is a really big art event in Baltimore. One person had decorated an EF hatch, not my cup of tea but I think the bat looks cool…Image
on Sunday I started to feel like crap again so I only finished a little on the CRX. I finished the glove box panel, just need to wire it up now.

I also put some new seam sealer in the engine bay where I removed it…

Image Image
hopefully today I can get the bay painted and start on the driver side wire tuck….

88 crx project

1drivinmofo

Postby sicknick » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:03 am

[quote="1drivinmofo"]Since my last update i have been really sick, it sucks to have a cold in the summer time. I spent Saturday morning working on my girls EG coupe, painted the valve cover pink, welded her exhaust back together since the weld broke at the muffler and the pipe, and I also installed GSR front lower control arms with energy suspension bushings with the GSR front sway bar… later that day we went to artscape, which is a really big art event in Baltimore. One person had decorated an EF hatch, not my cup of tea but I think the bat looks cool…Image
on Sunday I started to feel like crap again so I only finished a little on the CRX. I finished the glove box panel, just need to wire it up now.

I also put some new seam sealer in the engine bay where I removed it…

I know how you feel I got a cold 3 weeks ago and I still have an irritating cough. :evil:
sicknick

Next

Return to The Showroom