(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

1988 CRX Starts then stalls.

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

1988 CRX Starts then stalls.

Postby jfrancois » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi there,
I am trying to help out a neighbor who has a 1988 CRX "DX" with 58,000 miles on it, she is the original owner. She said the car hasn't run for some time, but she said she spoke to a couple mechanics about it and they said it was probably the fuel pump relay. I went to investigate. I turned the key to the on position and listened. The fuel pump primed, the check engine light turned on then off, and I think the relay clicked. Hooked it up to jumper cables and it started (she said it wouldn't). Immediately noticed the muffler was leaking like crazy. After about a minute, the car dies. Starts again, then dies again. I'm renting a fuel pressure gauge today to see if it's the fuel pump. Could the exhaust leak be bad enough to stall the car? If it's not the fuel pump, maybe vaccuum? I've never had one of these cars, and I'm relatively new to working on Honda's generally, but I want to help out my neighbor. She's kind of going through it right now.
jfrancois

Re: 1988 CRX Starts then stalls.

Postby CRX4ever » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:37 am

Is it leaking water (condensation) or gasoline?

Have you tried giving a little throttle after it starts?

It could be the fuel filter? Try replacing that. It's an easy replacement.
CRX4ever

Postby ykf7b0 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:52 pm

If it has been sitting a long time the fuel itself could be bad and the fuel filter would be the first thing I would change out.
Black 1989 D16A6 si
ykf7b0

Postby taaperaban » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:37 pm

crazy at 58K miles. if it's broken for her, does she want to sell it for a reasonable price?
taaperaban

Return to Stock Garage