(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Can't figure out why check engine light comes on after 5 mil

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

Can't figure out why check engine light comes on after 5 mil

Postby PACRX1 » Sat May 01, 2021 2:08 pm

My check engine light in my '91 CRX Si will come on after driving about 5 miles and the car seems to run fine. An when I shut the car off the check engine light goes away until the next time I drive it. So what sensor could be causing this and how do I figure out how to check the engine light? Do I check it while the cars running with the light on some how?
PACRX1

Re: Can't figure out why check engine light comes on after 5

Postby jlicrx » Sun May 02, 2021 12:43 pm

the check engine light comes on when a problem is detected - when you turn the ignition off, the CEL goes off and stays off until the problem returns or a new problem is detected, however, the ECU stores the codes and they stay accessible until you physically reset the ECU by removing power from it - to check the codes, pull back the carpet in the passenger side footwell to expose the ECU and turn the ignition 'ON' (don't need to start it), you should see a flashing red led on top of the ECU - the LED will blink several times, pause, blink several times, pause, etc. - count the number of blinks (from one to twenty) between pauses and that will tell you the code - you could have more than one code stored, in which case the LED will blink for the first code, pause, blink for the next code, pause, etc. once it goes through all the codes, it will start over - to reset the ECU, pull the fuse for the ECU/Hazard lights in the under hood fuse box

you can get intermittent CEL's with no codes stored, which just means something wasn't right for an instance - this usually happens with faulty oxygen sensor
ZCspeed Racing
jlicrx

Re: Can't figure out why check engine light comes on after 5

Postby Dave_Darling » Mon May 03, 2021 11:43 pm

A CEL that comes on after five miles could be a VSS problem. There are specific criteria for setting the VSS code, and I could easily see that happening only after a few miles on the road.

Does your speedometer work? If not, there's a good chance this is the problem.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Return to Stock Garage