(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Bought an 86 tonight!

Looking for information specific to your 1st gen? Find it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bought an 86 tonight!

Postby JLAudioFan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:47 pm

I used to have an 89 CRX Si but sold it quite a few years ago. It had the cancer pretty bad from a whole life of winters in the midwest and back then I didn't have much knowledge when it came to repairing stuff...

I was looking around for something that'd get better gas mileage last week (3/4 ton diesel is not a great commuter) and found this 86 CRX for 900 bucks. I haven't done an in depth inspection yet but I don't see any rust on the body. At all. Score. It's not running so that kinda sucks but I think I can get it going.

Will get some pictures tomorrow and upload them. Feels good to be a CRX owner again =)

Have a few questions regarding scrounging around for parts. Are some of the parts from regular civics of the same year interchangeable? The steering column lock is gone (car was probably stolen at some point, but I have a clean title) so I was wondering if I can get one off a civic as the local pullapart place has several. Also need the air filter housing. I figured those parts may not be CRX specific but it'd be great to know if they are interchangeable.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Making a list here for my own reference of stuff I will need.

Front driver side turn signal lenses (Bumper and fender)
Steering column lock and ignition tumbler
Air filter housing (depending on engine status, rebuild or swap)
Last edited by JLAudioFan on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1986 CRX
1989 CRX Si (sold)
JLAudioFan

Re: Bought an 86 tonight!

Postby jzxcrx » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:07 pm

Mudder101 a member on here, has CRX parts, you can ask him.

https://crxcommunity.com/memberlist.php ... le&u=45858
jzxcrx

Postby JLAudioFan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:21 pm

jzxcrx wrote:Mudder101 a member on here, has CRX parts, you can ask him.

https://crxcommunity.com/memberlist.php ... le&u=45858

Thanks! I will do so when I have a list together.
1986 CRX
1989 CRX Si (sold)
JLAudioFan

Postby JLAudioFan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:42 pm

That list may include an engine...

The one I have does not want to rotate. I have a feeling it was parked with the hood up and nothing over the carb.

Will be pulling the head off to see how ugly it is down there. Holy cow there are so many vac lines to deal with! It's like medusa had a baby with this engine, haha!
1986 CRX
1989 CRX Si (sold)
JLAudioFan

Postby daveb91 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:00 pm

Good luck up...love the first gen
91 CRX Si JRSC Turboedit ECU
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560256
daveb91

Postby Baker » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:03 pm

JLAudioFan wrote: I haven't done an in depth inspection yet but I don't see any rust on the body.

If it truly is a Southwest car, it may not have any rust or rot.

JLAudioFan wrote: Have a few questions regarding scrounging around for parts. Are some of the parts from regular civics of the same year interchangeable?

https://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=42588
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby JLAudioFan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:16 pm

Baker wrote:
JLAudioFan wrote: I haven't done an in depth inspection yet but I don't see any rust on the body.

If it truly is a Southwest car, it may not have any rust or rot.

JLAudioFan wrote: Have a few questions regarding scrounging around for parts. Are some of the parts from regular civics of the same year interchangeable?

https://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=42588

As far as I can tell it's a SW car. The original owner filled in his information in the user manual and he bought it in Sierra Vista, AZ which is near Tucson. Even had the first 60k miles of services recorded in there :)
1986 CRX
1989 CRX Si (sold)
JLAudioFan

Postby jzxcrx » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:49 pm

Yeah, my first CRX was an 87 automatic. I know what you mean about the vacuum lines. It’s a job tracing them and their function, I had found one with small split in the side of a line, lucked out cause it wouldnt start and it was in the middle of winter up in Maine. :lol:
jzxcrx

Postby JLAudioFan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:01 am

jzxcrx wrote:Yeah, my first CRX was an 87 automatic. I know what you mean about the vacuum lines. It’s a job tracing them and their function, I had found one with small split in the side of a line, lucked out cause it wouldnt start and it was in the middle of winter up in Maine. :lol:

Hah, yeah, vacuum lines are fun. I'd say almost half of them were plugged with screws and such. Luckily the factory vac line sticker is still on the hood, and it's got them labelled pretty well. If i can resurrect this engine it will come in handy.
1986 CRX
1989 CRX Si (sold)
JLAudioFan

Return to 1st Generation CRX