(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Vacuum leak after replacing the master cylinder

Looking for information specific to your 1st gen? Find it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Vacuum leak after replacing the master cylinder

Postby 84crsexy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Hey guys my master cylinder was leaking brake fluid and so I replaced the entire unit with a cheapo from rockauto. Little did I know this would haunt me later.

I THREW AWAY THE OLD UNIT THAT WAS OEM. As soon as I replaced the unit with the rockauto one I noticed a vacuum leak near the brake booster. My brake booster was a bit rusty so I ended up replacing it.

With a reman brake booster I still had the vacuum leak. The leak was right under where the master cylinder mounts into the booster. Exactly at the bottom I could hear the tone change as I moved my finger over the entire circumference.

So now I'm looking back at the first thing I replaced--it was the master cylinder and the problems only happened when I put on a different master cylinder. So I decided to get a master cylinder from autozone and see if that would fix the vacuum leak. When putting the part in I noticed the brake lines do not line up with the part. The lines are at a slight angle and the autozone part had straight 90 degree ports. So I returned the part and tried their reman part--same issue the ports are straight.

So I tried Orelies and I also had the same problem. None of the parts fit with the brake lines. So I decided I'll just get a new cardone which fit perfect--when putting this part in I still had the leak. Perhaps the design is just faulty?

So now I'm here because I've given up and I don't know how to fix this vacuum leak. Does anyone know where I can get a OEM part that fits for the 1g crx to fix this vacuum leak?
84crsexy

Re: Vacuum leak after replacing the master cylinder

Postby 84crsexy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Alright guys so in a last ditch effort I ventured onto ebay and found some matching OEM part numbers from this page

I found some equivalents on eBay and I bought 2 models to see if they would fit and I'll just return the other if something doesn't work right.

Wish me luck!
84crsexy

Re: Vacuum leak after replacing the master cylinder

Postby msc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Your probably missing the vacuum seal that goes between the master and the booster. It should be replaced when replacing the master or booster but may not come packaged with either part. Should be Honda part # 46185-SA5-003.

Mike
msc

Return to 1st Generation CRX