(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Custom CRX R134 AC system using TRS090 compressor

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Custom CRX R134 AC system using TRS090 compressor

Postby OhMickeyy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:45 pm

JMZ401 wrote:Hey I don't think JamesDX has been around for a while. If you're interested in building this set up just follow his thread here and you can read mine and his original build thread by googleing "94 Sanden in CRX". I just got around to charging mine up tonight after having installed it over 3 years ago, but so far I have very similar results as James did on the Texas cars. I'm cycling between 36.9f and about 41f at 2000 rpm Feel free to ask any questions, I'm happy to help.

I saw your posts on Honda-Tech, just wanted to ask how to solder the EG compressor plug to the bullet style EF plug? I’ve bought everything except for the plug so I just wanted a detailed description on the solder process. I’m also looking for a hose shop to get the CRV and EG AC lines fitted. Thanks!
OhMickeyy

Postby James89DX » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:26 am

saucedale wrote:seriously interested contact
FB:Abel Romero
IG:SAUCEDALE
you can also pm me as well.....i live in arizona and need the most reliable system i can put in my 91 crx...which also has the d15b2 :)

Hi Abel - I know I'm so late here it might be moot. Got so busy with life and for some reason this forum hasn't e-mailed/notified me of any PM's or topic notifications. I honestly haven't built any hoses in a few years now and don't have any idea how much material (if any) I have sitting around to build a set. I still drive my EF almost daily but my buddy's EF got stolen (the original car I made hoses for) last year and my brother sold his CRX and I just haven't had to mess with any of this stuff in a few years as far as AC's on EF's.

Did you ever get anything figured out for your AC or are you still looking? I'll PM you.

MrWhoopee wrote:My upgrade is now finished. The 12x22 universal PFC is as large as will fit, both height and width.
https://www.clima.parts/product/cnfp122 ... ng-6-and-8

Custom fabrication of hoses included welding a couple of the fittings. I can't provide any specifics on that as the work was done by my local shop and they sub'ed out the hose fab. At $130, I thought the price for the hoses was quite reasonable. Total cost was just under $1200. That's half what I paid for the car. It's all good, I'd almost rather be without heat than AC. I've only had one chance to test the system, but temps were only in the low 90's, so it's hard to evaluate. I did note that it began cooling while tooling around town, so that's encouraging. Center vent temp was 5 deg. C (41 deg. F).

One of the early posts mentioned cutting the shaft off the compressor mtg. bracket. This is not necessary, it unscrews from the casting.

How's your system working all said and done?

Yes - you don't HAVE to cut off the mounting bracket. Seems to be luck of the draw whether or not it's seized in there. If it's not, then yes it unscrews just fine. It's just easier on some of them as it takes 2 seconds to cut off vs. fighting with the bracket in a vice to try to unscrew it.
James89DX

Postby GonzoWerkeAG » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:34 pm

I was under the impression, due to conversations with various parts people, that if you just bought new components, they would be R-134A and not R12. Seems easier to go to rockauto or the like, than all the stuff going on in this thread.
GonzoWerkeAG

Postby James89DX » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:07 pm

GonzoWerkeAG wrote:I was under the impression, due to conversations with various parts people, that if you just bought new components, they would be R-134A and not R12. Seems easier to go to rockauto or the like, than all the stuff going on in this thread.

I'm not even really exactly sure what you're trying to say here.

"if you just bought new components, they would be R-134A and not R12"?? If you buy new components, these new components will be R-134A friendly only in the sense that they will incorporate modern composition O-rings and barrier hose that was not used in the R12 days.

Beyond that, the actual cooling performance and reliability of the system is a whole different ballgame and that's what this thread is about.
James89DX

Postby MrWhoopee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:22 pm

James89DX wrote:
MrWhoopee wrote:My upgrade is now finished. The 12x22 universal PFC is as large as will fit, both height and width.
https://www.clima.parts/product/cnfp122 ... ng-6-and-8

Custom fabrication of hoses included welding a couple of the fittings. I can't provide any specifics on that as the work was done by my local shop and they sub'ed out the hose fab. At $130, I thought the price for the hoses was quite reasonable. Total cost was just under $1200. That's half what I paid for the car. It's all good, I'd almost rather be without heat than AC. I've only had one chance to test the system, but temps were only in the low 90's, so it's hard to evaluate. I did note that it began cooling while tooling around town, so that's encouraging. Center vent temp was 5 deg. C (41 deg. F).

One of the early posts mentioned cutting the shaft off the compressor mtg. bracket. This is not necessary, it unscrews from the casting.

How's your system working all said and done?

I've been using it quite a bit, but I just got to really put it to the test today. Temperature in Redding was over 104 f. A/C was working great, vent temps dropping below 40 f. while driving around town. HOWEVER, the engine was running hot. At least I was cool while I was worrying about the engine overheating. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I made sure that I got the largest PF condensor that would fit, covering a lot of the radiator. Once on the highway, everything cooled down (of course).
MrWhoopee

Postby GonzoWerkeAG » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:29 am

James89DX wrote:
GonzoWerkeAG wrote:I was under the impression, due to conversations with various parts people, that if you just bought new components, they would be R-134A and not R12. Seems easier to go to rockauto or the like, than all the stuff going on in this thread.

"if you just bought new components, they would be R-134A and not R12"?? If you buy new components, these new components will be R-134A friendly only in the sense that they will incorporate modern composition O-rings and barrier hose that was not used in the R12 days.

Beyond that, the actual cooling performance and reliability of the system is a whole different ballgame and that's what this thread is about.

Everything would be for 134. Evap, Condenser, everything, so you would get the performance and reliability.
This is the route I will be going in my '91 when I do my B16 swap.
GonzoWerkeAG

Postby James89DX » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:19 am

GonzoWerkeAG wrote:
James89DX wrote:

Everything would be for 134. Evap, Condenser, everything, so you would get the performance and reliability.
This is the route I will be going in my '91 when I do my B16 swap.

Just because a modern build TR70 comes with R134-friendly gaskets internally does not change its performance or reliability. You are still getting an inferior compressor in both performance and reliability compared to the (much cheaper) TRS090.

Also, to clarify - the evap is going to be identical whether "for 134" or not. You do want a parallel flow condenser for certain though.
James89DX

Postby joelespinoza » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:02 pm

Sorry to necro an old (but clearly very good) thread, but does anyone have a lead on a parallel flow condenser in 2019?

From what I see this one used to be parallel flow: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 83&jsn=783

But it looks like more recent comments state that they received serpentine flow condensers. Has anyone ordered one of these in the last year or so? If so was it parallel or serpentine?

I ordered this one off Amazon that both stated and showed a picture of a parallel flow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N3 ... UTF8&psc=1

But it came as a stock style serpentine.

I contacted the Pit Stop Auto directly as they offer 2 from their website that show pictures of parallel flow condensers:

https://pitstopauto.com/Catalog/Part?q= ... JXZXefFk9c

https://pitstopauto.com/Catalog/Part?q= ... Nh1RsEiqtZ

But they verified that their pictures are not accurate and both of these are serpentine flow.

Any other thoughts on what I could do? I really dont have a good source to get custom AC hoses down here in Galveston, so I would like to stay away from universal style condensers if possible unless my stock lines can screw into them.
joelespinoza

Postby shortA25 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:41 pm

joelespinoza wrote:Sorry to necro an old (but clearly very good) thread, but does anyone have a lead on a parallel flow condenser in 2019?

From what I see this one used to be parallel flow: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 83&jsn=783

But it looks like more recent comments state that they received serpentine flow condensers. Has anyone ordered one of these in the last year or so? If so was it parallel or serpentine?

I ordered this one off Amazon that both stated and showed a picture of a parallel flow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N3 ... UTF8&psc=1

But it came as a stock style serpentine.

I contacted the Pit Stop Auto directly as they offer 2 from their website that show pictures of parallel flow condensers:

https://pitstopauto.com/Catalog/Part?q= ... JXZXefFk9c

https://pitstopauto.com/Catalog/Part?q= ... Nh1RsEiqtZ

But they verified that their pictures are not accurate and both of these are serpentine flow.

Any other thoughts on what I could do? I really dont have a good source to get custom AC hoses down here in Galveston, so I would like to stay away from universal style condensers if possible unless my stock lines can screw into them.

This reply is a few months late, but I can confirm that at the time I ordered (10/6/19) from rockauto, UAC part number CN4236PFC is indeed an OEM fit 88-91 crx/civic parallel flow style ac condenser.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/uac,CN4236PFC,a/c+condenser,6708
shortA25

Postby James89DX » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:22 am

Has anybody successively sourced parallel flow condensers lately?
James89DX

Postby shortA25 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:47 am

In my post above yours I was able to get one as of last October. Clicking on the same rockauto link it shows as available so I’d say chances are pretty good that rockauto has them.
shortA25

Postby Foogar » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:22 pm

I got one in from RockAuto today and it's not a parallel flow unit.
Foogar

Postby msc » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:50 am

I see that RockAuto is now describing the part as “UAC CN4236PFC {#80110SH3A1A} Parallel Flow; Serpentine Flow”.

I recently purchased a “UAC CN4236PFC” off eBay that came in as serpentine flow. I had hoped the PFC in the part number meant Parallel Flow Condenser. My guess is that at one time it did but with the current production lot hitting the shores that detail got overlooked. Perhaps a future production lot will be back to what is wanted. It can be challenging to get what you want from a factory in China, especially when demanding unrealistically low cost.

Since many sellers use stock photos for the part number it will be a challenge to find a true parallel flow. If anyone finds a source please post it, or at least report success so the rest of us can still hope.

Mike
msc

Previous

Return to Modification Garage