(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

ggorg's CRX. Rebuilding from scratch

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ggorg's CRX. Rebuilding from scratch

Postby Ggorg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:29 am

Hi everyone.

So, I've always wanted a CRX, but we've already got a regular daily driver. So, to afford one I had to get one cheap.

How cheap:

So cheap, it didn't come with much.

Now, the long process of rebuilding it begins. And I'm going to need help... Lots of it, because I don't really have much of an idea of what I'm doing. I've mucked about fixing my daily driver, but really, I'm just a youtube educated newbie at this.

Feel free to say hi, and I'll post here when I have updates. Fingers cross I get it back on the road.
Ggorg

Re: ggorg's CRX. Rebuilding from scratch

Postby MRWHATDAHELL » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:18 pm

at least its rust free.
MRWHATDAHELL

Postby Baker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:54 pm

Sometimes a clean slate like this is the best way to start out!

Be sure to read and research the FAQ's on here, plenty of info logged on here over the past decade.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby Ggorg » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the into.

MRWHATDAHELL wrote:at least its rust free.

Oh no

no, no no nooo

Noo no

Noooo

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EvergreenBaggyAndalusianhorse-size_restricted.gif

So yeah, a lot of work. I'm hoping to cut out the areas myself and shape replacement steel. Tack the bits in place then get a pro to finish.

A bit of background. Me and this bucket are here in the UK, and prices of these things hover around 1500 for something with rust and damage. I saw one go for exactly that on a salvage site where the arches were going and the front end had collapsed. I bought this shell for 400. I'm in the hole for a bit more than that once I paid for transport, but my budget is to get it back on the road for less than 3K. Fingers crossed the rust repair alone won't blow the budget, but I'm in for it now.

From what I can tell, the thing hasn't been in any accidents, and the paperwork checks out. Small victories.
Last edited by Ggorg on Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Baker wrote:Be sure to read and research the FAQ's on here, plenty of info logged on here over the past decade.

Thanks, will do.
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:11 pm

So, I've been at this project for a couple of months (posting a backlog of info at the moment) and been testing out some ideas to replace the missing panels with home made fiber glass. I'll post when I get some results that aren't embarrassing.

I know, the rust is more pressing but I gotta save up for that. I've sprayed and prayed with WD40 and it's in a lockup garage now. I know the WD is gonna need cleaning up later, and it's only going to last a couple of months, but, after scrubbing off as much rust as I could find I'm hoping I've at least halted its progress.

But, the interesting thing has been the hunt for replacement bits. CRXs are always heaps, and there appears to be a company in Germany buying up as much as they can and selling it on ebay. So, their profit plus shipping means I gotta look elsewhere.

And, it turns out the less desired members of the 90s civic platform can go for cheap.

Introducing the Honda Shuttle:

Here's it's parts catelogue

And for comparison, the CRX EE8

I was mostly after the suspension components, and even though the numbers were out, IE the front steering cross members for the shuttle is 50200-sh3-030 and the crx ends in 060, all the front suspension fits, including the power steering rack. I want to get a manual rack to keep everything simple. Or perhaps convert the power rack to manual somehow (block the ports perhaps).

Sorry, no pictures of it fitting. Last weekend I actually removed everything I had test fit. but here's a picture of the car it came from:

I would have chopped some steel off it for my own repairs, if I had the time and this car wasn't in a worse state than mine.

Interesting side story, I got it all from a guy who just wanted to put the engine in one of his classic minis. He runs a business out of this place:

Here's his website

Cool guy.

Anyway, I also got the rear trailing arms (which, yeah, do have drum brakes) but I ran out of time to test fit them properly. They do appear to be 10 centimeters too long for the rear end control arm. But The drums are pretty heavy, so I'll try taking them off and test fitting them again in case I'm just going in at a bad angle.

Wiper motor and washer bottle fit. Cool.

Also, the bumper and headlights do fit, which makes the Rex look pretty goofy. The side panels stood no chance of fitting, but I wanted them to get an arch to work from for the fiber glass flip-front I want to build.

Oh, I also took both front doors to get the manual winders and side mirrors. Side mirrors don't fit, but the door locks and manual winders should.

Fuel filler flap doesn't fit. Oh well, worth a shot.

It was all worth it for 200.
Ggorg

Postby Myriad » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:00 pm

For how much it cost you, I can't fault you for trying. I love the enthusiasm and effort; keep up the good work! :-)b

the trailing arms are 100% too long. Many people have tried it for AWD conversions and they always have to resort to cutting/welding for it to work. The struts are also too tall (but will bolt up), so you might have a land rover for a crx if you use them from the shuttle. Since you're needing suspension still, I HIGHLY recommend pulling the trailing arms, struts, and control arms off a 94-01 Integra or 92-95 civic. It'll give you disc brakes plus something to at least get wheels on. If the bushings are bad/old, make it a priority to buy brand new control arms. I've replaced them myself and I'm advising through experience.

This link here is about using power steering rack as manual --> https://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55151 though, the pics kinda broke over the years. :|
The LumberJack and Big Red. It's happening; slowly, but still.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby Ggorg » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 am

Hi Myrid,

thanks for checking it out and offering some advice. I need all I can get.

Well, the shuttle I pulled it from was a GL, not the AWD version (sadly, the transmission could have been interesting). I might try the rear control arms 1 more time. But if I can get arms cheap enough from a 92-95 civic (I don't have the budget for integra anything), I'll certainly pick them up.

Yep, I'm determined to replace all the old rubber with Polyurethane after replacing my civic EP2's bushing with the stuff. It's lasted quite well.

Sorry for not updating sooner. Been off over the christmas holidays.
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:09 am

Back at it, this time with a much better camera

Imagefront_1 by g gorg, on Flickr
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:27 am

OK, had a good go last weekend. I wanted to get a good idea of what sort of rust I was dealing with around the floor, so I got a rotary tool (dremel like) and a power inverter (the garage I'm renting isn't powered) and started grinding. Looks like there's not much holding the floor on along both sides. So, I'll have to figure out a better trolly solution that a wooden one supporting the floor only.

Here's a picture after I ground back the seam sealer:

ImageDSC_0018 by g gorg, on Flickr

Ick. And here's the same side a little further back. I also tested out the cutting disc on the dremel (I know it's a brand name, but if I call it that, everyone knows what I'm talking about) to see if I could get through. turns out you can. Just very slowly:

ImageDSC_0019 by g gorg, on Flickr

So I could be able to get rid of the rusty floor bit by bit. I knew this was going to be a slow process, because I only have a few hours each weekend to work on it. So smaller patches seem OK to me.

Here's the sill on the left, which will need to be replaced. Will be hoping to just fab some patch plates coz I have no idea how I'll find replacement sills.

ImageDSC_0020 by g gorg, on Flickr

There's more wrong with both rear quarters (nothing wrong with the arches themselves funny enough). But I'll hold off worrying about them for now. I want to get the floor done first.

Here's the power inverter setup:

ImageDSC_0023 by g gorg, on Flickr

I tried using a drill a bit later in the day, but that popped the fuse in the cig-lighter. So, dremel it is.

After popping the fuse, I got to dismantling some of the left over bits in the front. The fresh air intake for the cabin is held in with plastic clips that must be destroyed if it, and the window wiper link, are to be removed:

ImageDSC_0024 by g gorg, on Flickr

Then, I removed what was left of the steering column, leaving only the peddles left.

ImageDSC_0025 by g gorg, on Flickr

Everything apart from the one corner appears to be mostly free of any bad rust up front:

ImageDSC_0013 by g gorg, on Flickr

I think I'll keep the glass in until last, and then with fingers crossed, I'll only have to repair that 1 spot, and that the pillar isn't bad (doesn't seem bad).

That's it for this weeks update. I hope I can get time on it each week and share my progress. Feel free to offer advice, or just encouragement.
Ggorg

Postby ykf7b0 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:48 am

Great write up! Seems to me you are doing a great job with the scratch build up!!! Keep posting your progress!!!!
Black 1989 D16A6 si
ykf7b0

Postby Ggorg » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Cheers ykf7b0, will do.

OK, had another go this weekend but didn't get a whole lot done. However I did managed to test out another arrangement for power to my unpowered garage (it's rented and some distance from my place). An old car battery. It's pretty dead for use in a car, but there's enough juice to run some power tools for (so far) half an hour. I even got a hot glue gun to work with it, which was actually surprising.

ImageDSC_0120 by g gorg, on Flickr

So, I've been trying it out, and creating some mockups to try and capture some of the rear boot curves.

ImageDSC_0121 by g gorg, on Flickr

So far, so shrug. I'll post the final results when there are some.

Anyway, I also spent today having a think about what I'm going to do for the front styling. So, just to get some curves captured in cardboard, I just rested some of the shuttles parts on the EE8.

ImageDSC_0112 by g gorg, on Flickr

There's just something lacking. The lights fit perfectly, but perhaps they're not quite sloped the same as actual EE8 lights. The bumper is pretty dull. But, if possible, making it all look more like this would rock:

And, as just a quick aside, does anyone else get a Toyota AE86 vibe from the gen 3 Accord?

That's it for this week. Not a whole lot, so hopefully more next time.
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:26 am

Been while, but stuff (project related) has been happening as the guy I bought the shell off also had plenty of bits spare now that his CRX project is nearing completion (I'll ask if I can take some photos of it when it's done, coz it sounds nuts).

So even though I was hoping to just focus on rebuilding the missing panels and hatch before getting stuck into anything else, I felt I couldn't pass up what he had on offer for 600.

And here's part of the deal, a K20a4.
ImageADSC_0014

So nothing crazy good like an 'a` or 'a2', but he did sell me a type-R 6 speed transmission. So hopefully once it's all running, upgrading to an 'a2' will be easier. I also got the K-swap mounts as part of the deal. As you could guess, this whole thing was his original idea for a CRX project, and I'm just getting 2nds.

ImageADSC_0013

I also got a CRX brake master, and a type-R inlet. Fuel and brake lines, rear sway bar, and both rear trailing arms (disk brake). A quick comparison to the shuttle-GL rear arms tells me they're similar apart from the GLs being drum.

ImageADSC_0012

The engine crane is his (I'm just borrowing it), so a test fit would be out of the question until much later. The good news is, all this fits quite well into my 5 door EP2. These things have pretty good capacity. The suspension was quite loaded up though, so highway spiral-on-ramps were more interesting that usual.
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:27 pm

So I got a closer look at the 2 sets of rear control arms that I got. 1 pair from the shuttle GL and the other from the guy I bought the shell from.

Yep, turns out you're right Myriad, the 2 sets are different in dimensions but only by a 10 centimeters or so. Good job I got these ones then.

ImageIMG_20200411_121440

ImageIMG_20200411_121459

For now I'll keep moving along, but maybe once this is all back on the road, perhaps I can cut and re-weld them to fit. Then turn them into rear wheel drive arms.
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:11 pm

The big first task with the shell is going to be rust repair. And that means welding in some fresh steel. So, without power, I'm going to have to use a gas torch welder. Good thing there was a guy retiring from his metal-working business near by and I could get all his regulators and torches for 30 bucks.

Check it out:

ImageIMG_20200310_101230

ImageIMG_20200315_132314

And, after an hour or so brushing off all the built up dust, and some reorganizing:

ImageIMG_20200315_132506

Now I need some tubes and a pair of gas bottles. Then I'll have to learn a new trade I guess.
Ggorg

Postby James89DX » Fri May 01, 2020 4:33 pm

I admire your resolve here to do this project with your less than ideal workspace. I just finished rebuilding a wrecked 2013 Altima that I picked up for 200 bucks in my backyard and that about drove me crazy not having all my typical tools/garage setup around me. I did have electrical outlets and enough heavy duty welder extension cord and air hose to reach the back door when I really needed it to weld and paint, but still what a hassle. I couldn't imagine not having those at all and doing it in a totally unpowered space like you're doing.

What about investing in some sort of 20v battery powered "system" (i.e, drill, impact wrench, angle grinder type combo)? A decent set will last you a good decade or so and I think you'll find that even after this project is finished you'll find yourself getting into yet another project, then another, and so on.

I've been using a DeWalt 18v setup for over 7 years now and between the two li-ion "max" batteries I can just about go all day doing pretty heavy work with them. Not sure what prominent brands you guys have over there but DeWalt, Milwaukee, Ryobi, Kobalt, frankly even the Harbor Freight stuff seems perfectly fine over here. You're just kind of stuck with one "system" when you start though so make sure whatever brand you go with has all the various tools you want and takes the same batteries. DeWalt is really good about selling "tool only" stuff so you don't have to buy new expensive batteries each time you want to add a tool to the repertoire.

Also, if you haven't started to think so now, you will definitely need something bigger/more capable than a Dremel type tool for rust repair work of any significance which is why I mentioned the angle grinder. Frankly both are likely necessary as the angle grinder can't get into small spaces and the Dremel is no good for larger pieces. Thankfully your rust work all looks like it'll be in non-cosmetic areas so this will be a good first project as far as rust repair/metal fabrication for you.
James89DX

Postby Ggorg » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:34 pm

How about that 2020 hu?

Been ages since I've posted but I've not been idle.

First off, thanks James89DX for your reply. That Altima project sounds interesting. Have you posted anything online about it?

Yeah it does suck not having a real workspace. I've been avoiding driving over (it's about 15 min from my house) because being out in the freezing wind gets annoying after your hands stop working.

Yeah, the 12v car battery setup isn't powerful enough to run anything more than the soldering iron and the dremel. But perhaps I can run 2 batteries in parallel, and perhaps this chinese inverter can deliver. I got another battery recently, so an experiment in the near future.

The rotary/dremel tool is slow, but so far it's done a great job of cutting the thinner parts of the body steel because I can make fairly tight cuts

ImageIMG_20200709_131739

But I did recently get a battery powered Ryobi drill for christmas and with a cobalt bit, can make it through 5 millimeter steel without too much trouble. If the dremel doesn't cut it anymore, I might see if I can get a Ryobi grinder without the battery (which appears to be the expensive bit). I've been trying this car battery and inverter combo because the corded tools I'm finding so far are cheaper.
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:50 pm

On a followup about the gas welding side of the project, I've got some advice:

DON'T BUY 2ND HAND.

I went to get the regulator and mixers (the handle) serviced because I don't fancy blowing up, but it turns out the regulators have a 5 year service life, so I ended up spending about 170 pounds to get everything refurbished. I think cheap regulators are about 40 each normally, but I wanted to reuse these 2 stage regulators because of advice I've read about the need for more precise control when welding with gas.

It's been ages since I got that done mid (now) last year, but I've held off because we've been focused on house work in 2020 (roof insulation). Once that's done, I'll be able to focus more on trying out gas welding. I've already been practicing with stick (arc) welding:

ImageIMG_20200318_223703

Yeah, I'm not quitting my day job.
Last edited by Ggorg on Sat May 01, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:56 pm

While I only get a chance to work on the shell on sunday, I've been playing around with the other bits during the week.

Here, I've been swapping over the GL shuttle steering column with some of the crx bits I have. But, sadly It turns out the two wheels are pretty different and I'm missing the 3 spoke plate thing for the horn button to move on. The 2 spoke shuttle GL plate that I do have won't fit:

Imagewheel02

Thankfully though, the indicator stalks fit and the wheel at least splines OK to the column:

Imagewheel01
Ggorg

Postby tycrxfan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:28 pm

Really cool stuff! I'll be following this thread closely, I'm also really new to car modification/repair myself. Your budget build is awesome. Might I recommend a youtube series you might like, the guy isn't rebuilding from scratch but he has some cool content for his budget build. Best of luck to you! You're killing it :bounce:
tycrxfan

Postby Ggorg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:22 pm

Thanks tycrxfan!

Oh yeah, Young Static, I've been watching some of his stuff. The guy gets his stuff sorted pretty quickly which is always encouraging.
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:41 pm

OK, been a bit lazy with the uploads. But I've holding off on this one coz it's a big one:

So like I hoped early on in the project, I figured I'd try and replace the missing panels and rear hatch with home made fibreglass ones.

At first I figured I could made a dummy to mold from by creating papermashe negatives:

I used PVA glue and more cardboard for backing and ribbing, then I used some old soap to grease up the inside. The soap worked ok.

The idea was to then use paster and sand it down, but that didn't really work either:

but it was way too much of a pain to avoid the newspaper de-laminating.

I kept going anyway and tried to make a rear air scoop that I hope to feed air at the rear calipers to reduce brake fade:

So, ditching that I'm now going with wire and having a shot at the rear hatch. And it's been slow going:

The idea here is to go with louvers rather than just 1 big sheet of perspex which would age badly and scratch too easily.

But it's kinda looking a little wonky. I'm gonna keep using this wire mesh that you typically use for house repairs, and eventually get to the point where I can cover it in plaster.
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:42 pm

To stick the wire together, I've been using regular electronics solder and a regular soldering iron. Be sure to use a rotary tool to clean up the wire, because this stuff is galvanized and won't take the solder much at all.
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:58 pm

Damn, been well over a month since my last post. Well, here's some more progress with the wire work. It's looking a little wonky at the moment, but hopefully when I'm done laying the mesh between the wire, I can get it a bit straighter.

ImageIMG_20210405_161546
Ggorg

Postby Ggorg » Sat May 01, 2021 6:03 pm

OK, so in between trying to get the fiberglass hatch done I've had a go at some of the little bits like converting the power mirrors over to the manual armatures from the Shuttle.

ImageDSC_0143

The base of the mirrors for the Shuttle is very different to the ones for the CRX, and while the armatures do transfer over and I can wiggle the mirror, there is a bit of interference that maybe later I'll grind back:

ImageDSC_0141

This is just a test fit (obviously, coz the mirrors are quite filthy). But I had reconditioned the metal with a fresh lick of paint.

Well, now that's done, time to recondition all this junk:

ImageDSC_0140
Ggorg

Return to Modification Garage