(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

How to: Add Air Conditioning to your CRX

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: How to: Add Air Conditioning to your CRX

Postby feel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:56 pm

actually, did the compressor ever engage before it all leaked out or did it leak out super fast? iirc even without refrigerant, the two fans still turn on just not the compressor.
feel

Postby all4spl » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:33 pm

Hello, can someone give me either tips or some hints on how to replace my condenser fan assembly? I will have the part today as my fan went out on my 91 Si.

Thanks a million!
all4spl

Postby xalents23 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:38 am

A lot of great info. I am currently putting A/C into my 1991 CRX Si. And need help on the two connectors that enter the firewall on the passenger side. I can't seem to find out where the connectors connect to inside the car. If anyone can post up a picture showing where these connect to that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
xalents23

Postby bobski » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:38 pm

There's a big box consisting of the evaporator, expansion valve and thermostat that you need to install. If you remove your glove box, you should see a white plastic duct between the blower and heater core/air handler. The evaporator assembly will replace that duct, and has the two refrigerant lines you're missing.

... Or do you mean the electrical connectors? If that's the case, the long wire with the two-pin connector on the end goes over the evaporator box and plugs into the thermostat switch on the glovebox side of the assembly. The remaining 6 or 8 wire connector should plug into an existing connector on the main harness. You may need to dig around under the carpet and sound deadening mat to find it, but it should be within reach of that A/C harness connector.
bobski

Postby xalents23 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:09 pm

Sorry, for not being clear on my post. Yeah, I need info on the two electrical connectors that go inside the firewall under the glove box. Thanks to you I found the two pin connector connection that you pointed out. That goes over the evaporator box. But, I'm having a hard time locating the 6 or 8 pin wire connector connection.
xalents23

Postby fuserchris » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Hmm, before I even attempt this I might as well ask: Is there anyone on this board, in the socal area, that can do this? I have every part listed in the AC assembly, and but I'm not certain everything works. If anyone does know, PM me your price for the install :)
My for sale thread --> viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42756

Yakima Bike Rack, Rear Valance, h&R race springs, stock springs and struts all for sale
fuserchris

Re:

Postby julious88 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:14 pm

bobski wrote:
dtyrrell88 wrote:my evaporator has this thing coming out of the back of it on the bottom that looks like it needs a tube attached to it.. Does anyone know what that is? It might be the drain hose but I'm unsure.

Yeah, it's the drain hose. The fins in the evaporator get cold when the A/C is running, so water from the air condenses on them, like it does with a cold glass on a hot day. If you don't have that drain hose, the water will drip out of the bottom of the evaporator onto your ECU. :)

Ok I'm currently having this problem and i just purchased a hose to get the condensed water out, other than a clamp is there anything else i would need like a catch can, canister, etc or just let it drip into the open?
julious88

Postby bobski » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Just let it drip... It's just distilled water and a little bit of whatever dust particles are floating around in the air. If anything, you can run the hose out the firewall hole and down past the crossmember so it drips directly on the road.
bobski

Postby julious88 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:20 pm

Cool Thanks bobski avoiding the crossmember to prevent any rust was my priority good thing i bought a 2' long hose just to set it up right
julious88

Postby msc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Does anyone know the correct amount of oil to install in a dry system?

I'm repairing the A/C in a 91 HF including a new compressor and a complete system flush. the goal is to flush as much of the old oil out and start off with a fresh fill of the proper amount of oil.

Mike
msc

Postby feel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:34 pm

i like to do about 1 oz. each for evap and cond. about 4 oz. in that compressor. pour out what's in there first then add the oil in on the suction side of the comp. you don't want a "dry" start.
feel

Postby xalents23 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Would you happen to have a picture of the suction side of the compressor? I want to see because I already added the Estor oil in my compressor. And wanted to make sure, I put it in the right hole/side. Before I go and get it leaked tested and freon put in.
xalents23

Postby xalents23 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Got my a/c charged with R134a and now my a/c wiring is not working. I checked all the fuses they are all fine. The technician put a probe on my compressor and the a/c turned right on. Blows nice and cold R134a freon. Could it be my A/C relays that have gone bad. Causing the A/C compressor not turning on along with the condensor fan. When I hit the A/C button only the radiator fan turns on. I am stumped anyone have any soultions? Should I go buy a new a/c wiring harnesss? Or is the a/c pressure switch bad? Thanks in advance.

Figured it out it was the relays.
xalents23

Postby SanFranciscoTreat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:37 pm

I should like to get some coldness going on in my rex... But has anyone ever installed ac into a dual cam zc rex?
SanFranciscoTreat

Postby bobski » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Probably. Most likely it has the same bolt pattern on the block for the compressor bracket. I've had a D15B2, D16A6 and D16Z6 in my 'rex over the years... The bracket bolted up fine in all cases. As I understand it, it's the swaps to other engine families that cause issues.
bobski

Postby SanFranciscoTreat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Hooray for Dual Cam D-Series lol. Thanks for the info. I started a new thread in the modification garage after i noticed how old this one was.

Hopefully more people chime in like yourself
SanFranciscoTreat

Postby christiana » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:07 pm

I just completed a full a/c changeover in my '91 stock HF (m!p!G!) and this post was so helpful that I thought to post a few suggestions about managing the actual climate control unit.

First, I highly recommend, when removing and installing the climate control unit, that you unfasten the heater control cable and air mix cable at the firewall/lever ends rather than at the climate control unit. It's really easy, and then you don't have to fight the control cables while trying so hard not to break those plastic tabs of the side of the control unit. Once the control unit is installed, it's pretty easy to thread a wire coat hanger from the engine compartment and through the firewall. Bend a small hook, hook the heater control cable ring on the coat hanger, and pull it back through.

Second, pauld9723 on ebay sells a cnc'd steel face plate with adhesive backing. It is so worth the money. Not only does it replace the plastic mounting tabs, when you use tapping sheet metal screws, you can mount the unit on the front of the car's mounting tabs, instead of behind them. I actually put one side behind the tabs, and one side in front. It was so awesome to avoid the frustration of getting the unit behind the car's mounts. If you plan to use the steel faceplate, you can even dremel the plastic tabs off before removing the unit in the first place, avoiding the headache during both removal and installation. Not only will it not break, it looks great, too.
christiana

Re:

Postby keastland » Wed May 16, 2012 4:53 pm

bobski wrote:- Compressor
- Compressor bracket with belt tensioner
- Compressor belt (get a new one, $10-15)
- Compressor inlet and discharge hoses
- Condenser
- Condenser fan
- Evaporator with drain hose and grommets
- Blower to evaporator and evaporator to air handler sealing straps
- Drier (get a new one, $30-40)
- A/C hard lines
a. bottom of the condenser to the drier inlet (kinda squiggly, silver)
b. drier outlet to cross-tube in front of the condenser (squiggly, black)

c. cross-tube in front of the condensor (black with elbows at each end)
d. long front to rear line (pressure switch near the front, service port near the back, silver with insulation)
e. long rear to front line (larger tube, service port near the back, silver with insulation)
f. misc hard line mounting brackets
- Complete A/C wiring harness with relays and relay mounting bracket
- O-rings for each and every A/C line connection (get new ones, $20 or so for a kit)

I was wondering if someone could help me out... I'm trying to install my AC and can't seem to see how this could be correct. I got all my hoses and tubes from a 91 Civic at a salvage yard that used a Sanden compressor like I'm installing. However, it appears that the black tube attaches to the bottom of the condenser and the silver to the cross-tube. Also, the drier I purchased from O'Reilly has the inlet where it would line up with the cross-tube.

Is anyone able to take a pic or two of the drier area of the system so I can use it for reference? I'm not able to find any good pics.

Thank you.
1991 CRX-DX/HF
D15B6
keastland

Re: Re:

Postby keastland » Wed May 16, 2012 5:25 pm

keastland wrote:
bobski wrote:- Compressor
- Compressor bracket with belt tensioner
- Compressor belt (get a new one, $10-15)
- Compressor inlet and discharge hoses
- Condenser
- Condenser fan
- Evaporator with drain hose and grommets
- Blower to evaporator and evaporator to air handler sealing straps
- Drier (get a new one, $30-40)
- A/C hard lines
a. bottom of the condenser to the drier inlet (kinda squiggly, silver)
b. drier outlet to cross-tube in front of the condenser (squiggly, black)

c. cross-tube in front of the condensor (black with elbows at each end)
d. long front to rear line (pressure switch near the front, service port near the back, silver with insulation)
e. long rear to front line (larger tube, service port near the back, silver with insulation)
f. misc hard line mounting brackets
- Complete A/C wiring harness with relays and relay mounting bracket
- O-rings for each and every A/C line connection (get new ones, $20 or so for a kit)

I was wondering if someone could help me out... I'm trying to install my AC and can't seem to see how this could be correct. I got all my hoses and tubes from a 91 Civic at a salvage yard that used a Sanden compressor like I'm installing. However, it appears that the black tube attaches to the bottom of the condenser and the silver to the cross-tube. Also, the drier I purchased from O'Reilly has the inlet where it would line up with the cross-tube.

Is anyone able to take a pic or two of the drier area of the system so I can use it for reference? I'm not able to find any good pics.

Thank you.

According to this image; Image

I have the tubes connected correctly. Now I just need to verify the flow. On the drier I purchased, it says "In" on the side where the tube coming from the cross-tube is located. Is that correct or did I get the wrong drier?

Thanks again.
1991 CRX-DX/HF
D15B6
keastland

Postby vtecn8ive » Sat May 19, 2012 10:20 am

debating doing this to my HF as well.. decisions decisions.
LS ENVY wrote:I like Pen15
vtecn8ive

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:09 pm

EDIT : oops .. wrong thread ..
STUFF 4 SALE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190266
Our CRX Family :)
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=200562
89 DX .. K-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47004
91 DX .. J-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53872
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby vtecn8ive » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:02 am

Anyone know if there was an option from the dealership (not factory) to have ac installed? If so, did they use a different wiring harness?

The wiring harness I have has more interior connections.
LS ENVY wrote:I like Pen15
vtecn8ive

Postby zrickety » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:07 pm

I was told they were all dealer installed, but cannot confirm. Can you post pics of your interior connections?
FWIW, I went 2 summers down here without a/c. I still don't use it often, but I love it when it rains or long trips.
91 CRX Si B16(XSi) viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32702
Current 09 VW GTI 2.0TSI viewtopic.php?f=33&t=60122
BigDare23 wrote:A CRX is a like a gift and a curse.
zrickety

Postby EF RaceRR » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:47 pm

So what is the INTERNAL difference between the Sanden and Matushita compressors? I came across a thread on hear that said it was the compressor blade type. Sanden uses a rotary-style vane setup, Matsushita use some type of centrifugal clutch design.

Been researching this and haven't come across much info
R Spirit
EF RaceRR

Postby yisertom » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:50 pm

awesome post.. going to attempt this
yisertom

PreviousNext

Return to Modification Garage