(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

ECU Issues I Think

Engine swaps, bolt-ons, tuning, OBD-1 conversions, forced induction, suspension & brake upgrades, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ECU Issues I Think

Postby monzster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:15 pm

I have a 90 CRX SI with a B16 swap. I have had the car 12 years and have never had an issue until this week. I was driving and went in to VTEC but it didn’t engage instead the check engine light came on. Car drives ok other than that. I checked the code and its 21 VTEC solenoid. I performed the test per an OE manual and it says that the ECU needs replacing. Basically this test is checking the ohms on the solenoid and checking the harness for continuity and for a ground short which both are ok. I don’t know too much about ECUs so I am assuming, and, this is what I am trying to verify. That the ECU is ground and it sends a 12 volt signal to the solenoid. I did run 12 volts for just a fraction of a second to the solenoid and it does click. I also connected a volt meter to the harness at the solenoid and when the ignition is turned on I have 2.7 volts and when the car is driven thru the RPM band to 8,000 it stays at 2.7. If it is agreed that the ECU is bad has anyone ever used someone to rebuild one. I see that there are companies that do this per Google and EBAY but are not sure with going this route. AutoZone can get me a reman Cardone for $450.00. I was thinking used and didn’t know if an ECU from a B16A1 2 or 3 would work or an Integra GSR. I should have gotten the ECU number when I was checking the harness but didn’t think about it. I am going to do that this weekend. I’m just trying to find some options because the dealer says they are no longer available. Thanks for any help in advance.
monzster

Return to Modification Garage