(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

88 rear suspension geometry

Discussions about one thing: the race. Whether it's autocross, drag, road or rally, take it TO THE TRACK and post about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

88 rear suspension geometry

Postby rkovacs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:51 pm

I have heard the 88 rear suspension geometry is different than any other years. What makes it different and will that change if I switch out the drum brakes to disk brakes from a newer car?
rkovacs

Re: 88 rear suspension geometry

Postby Dave_Darling » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:13 pm

That's a really good question. I've seen it asked a number of times, and there hasn't been a really good answer.

The 88s do have different lower control arms on the rear; they are either the same as or the same type as that used on the Integra Type R. The shock mounts are different than the later years of CRX. I don't think that accounts for the "passive rear steer" (or rather, dynamic toe angle changes) so there may be other differences as well. Possibly the exact mounting point, or the compensator arm, are different.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby jfrolang » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:18 am

The key difference is in the body-side mounting point of the compensator (toe) arm, at the forward end of the rear trailing arm. It creates an aggressive toe curve that causes that "passive" rear steering that everyone talks about. Changing the trailing arms or swapping the brakes can do nothing to alter that geometry.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby rkovacs » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:01 pm

jfrolang wrote:The key difference is in the body-side mounting point of the compensator (toe) arm, at the forward end of the rear trailing arm. It creates an aggressive toe curve that causes that "passive" rear steering that everyone talks about. Changing the trailing arms or swapping the brakes can do nothing to alter that geometry.

Perfect, that is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't want to loose that if I changed over to disk brakes.
rkovacs

Postby hispanicpanic » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:07 pm

Ahh, so its the forward trailing arm mounting point? Thanks for the info.

Are you familiar with just how much dynamic toe it creates? I think i saw someone on honda tech post up he had -.015 toe out under compression of 2 inches or so.... i'll have to find the thread. He had an EF civic and i believe it was a 91.
hispanicpanic

Postby BrakeExpert » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:22 pm

Both the camber and tow change under turning with our trailing arm. If you look at it under the assumption that the trailing arm bushing doesnt "move" (yes it does of course), as you make a left turn, the left traling arm would thus go "down" and the right trailing arm go "up". Which means given your ride height, from a stock car, your left wheelbase as a whole sort of shortens on that side.
BrakeExpert

Return to Track Racing (Drag/Autocross/Road/Rally X)