(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

cr-x exclusive

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: cr-x exclusive

Postby audmcrx » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:49 pm

Oscar95 wrote:It promises to be another great project :)

Thank you, I am hoping so

It has been a while so I thought I would post a quick update
The seats are still waiting to be done, ive been told the wait list is huge and because ive got so much else to do with the car im not really in any rush so its no big deal at the moment

I did get a few things done though, namely the timing belt, water pump and tensioner
As usual I was lazy with taking photos because I just wanted the job done
The crank bolt almost killed me but after I decided to say screw it and buy the proper impact it was no trouble
And a nice new sticker for the cam cover

I noticed a small crack on the right side tail light too
That was taken care of pretty quick, you can only see it from a very specific angle but once I knew it was there it annoyed me

The seat belt guild for the drivers side was all discoloured, im not too sure what caused it but I replaced that too

I also began working on restoring my new set of cf-48 wheels
They arent very aggressive in terms of specs and a lot of people think they look weird but I am a big fan
This set is turning out much better than my last ones as ive learnt a few tricks to make the process go quicker and yield much better results
Instead of just sanding them back completely I decided to use paint stripper and a lot of patience to apply it only to the polished lip sections. Once the clear coat was off, sanding the corrosion away took seconds instead of hours.
Then it was just a matter of making the grain uniform and hitting it with some buffing compound and then polish
Here is a photo of the kind of corrosion I have been removing

I also bought some tyres for them

I have been taking the car out as much as I can, it is a lot of fun to drive, it recently rolled over 62,000 on the odometer which means in the year and a bit ive owned it I have driven about 800km

Unfortunately there is an issue with the steering rack so it will have to come out again at some point soon so I can send it away to be rebuilt completely
I have also bought a set of coilovers as the shocks/springs I have in the car, whilst nice, arent as stiff as I would like. They should arrive in the next couple of weeks and ill be able to put the wheels on and have it realigned.
Last edited by audmcrx on Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
audmcrx

Postby signalpuke » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 am

Can you please attach your pictures to the forum so that they resize. They are HUGE.
signalpuke

Postby audmcrx » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:04 am

signalpuke wrote:Can you please attach your pictures to the forum so that they resize. They are HUGE.

I am sorry, I have resized everything in the thread and cut the majority down to under 300kb
When I looked at the thread everything would auto-resize for me so I guess I never noticed it

I have finished my the restoration on my wheels and am hoping to get the tyres mounted tomorrow
audmcrx

Postby signalpuke » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:23 pm

Those wheels look great! Very nice having the caps and covers too, that is super rare. What spec are they?
signalpuke

Postby audmcrx » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:11 am

signalpuke wrote:Those wheels look great! Very nice having the caps and covers too, that is super rare. What spec are they?

Thank you, it took me a bit of time to piece together the full set in the condition its in but id say it was worth it
They are 14x6 +38

The height looks crazy but its just stock, it will be adjusted a little when I get the new suspension
audmcrx

Postby 91torinoredcrx » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:15 am

Gotta hit them moldings and rockers with some trim paint. Glossy everything is UNACCEPTABLE especially for an Exclusive CRX..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
91torinoredcrx

Postby audmcrx » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:44 am

91torinoredcrx wrote:Gotta hit them moldings and rockers with some trim paint.

I have thought about it but because I will be painting the car down the line I have been hesitant as I have plans to take care of it all at that point, im just waiting for a final part to arrive from japan

My coilovers arrived and I got them installed
They are MCA pro comforts, which are Australian built meaning warranty and support is all in country, and at the moment thats a pretty big plus not having to send things overseas

They dont drop the car very far, but they make the ride a fair bit stiffer and it really feels like im riding on rails now
During the first test drive I didnt scrape on anything which was my main concern, so the height will likely stay at this
You can compare it to the picture posted above with the aero discs, I tried to get the same angle

The car as it sits now

The next job is getting the steering rack back out and doing a full rebuild on it
The seats are finally moving too, I have looked through just about every swatch book trimmers have on hand and couldnt find anything that was close enough to the original camel tan so I have sent a patch away to be custom matched. It will likely take until early next year to get the samples back but I should in the end have it perfect (plus a heap of spare leather for future fixes)
audmcrx

Postby audmcrx » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:22 am

Just a quick post about the leather to repair the seats
I have put in for the leather order so hopefully work will start on them within 2 weeks
audmcrx

Previous

Return to The Showroom