Honda CRX Forum banner

Rex2nr's Resto-build

70K views 275 replies 51 participants last post by  rex2nr 
#1 ·
Some pics are in...click here

Right now I'm stripping the filler from the quarters. The passenger side is 95% completed, the drivers, about 10. I need to replace the passenger side fender, rocker panel, and possibly the door. As you can see my welding isn't quite up to spec yet, lol. I found a mint Civic steering wheel at a u-pull-it, I'm not too sure I like it yet for driving, but its mint, and I like the rounded design better. I'm planning on painting her a gunmetal metallic, and recovering the entire interior in black cloth and vinyl. The engine in there now will be replaced eventually with another D series, built up. I'm planning on using my ZC pistons (if anyone has 1 to donate, I could used it, one of mine is slightly mushroomed, but I think can be repaired), mated to a D15 crank/block. I'll be, for now, using an A6 head, with the Si cam, unless I find a deal on a Y8.

I plan to drop the car 1.5 inches, and putting on some Rota group Ns. I'm also going to be upgrading to metal brake lines.

I'm also planning on building a functional Lexan sunroof to replace the metal OEM one. There has been a discussion on the resource about it, and a few of us have some ideas on how to make it work.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yea, it sure does. Apparently my car was hit somewhere in the rear, and the shop that did the work decided to cover both quarters in filler, about an 1/8" thick. Its all properly done, but from the little bit I've removed so far, there has been no visible damage. So, it seems like its worthless. Right now, I'm cutting it back to the metal, then filling the imperfections with as little filler as possible to prevent it from cracking out again. The shop that did it, did a great job, just used an excess on the bondo. I had to leave it because I burned the brushes out of my drill. I found a wire brush worked much better than my DA.

#4 ·
Rex,
Your a man after my own heart.
Group N's rock imo.
I'm not sure if I'll put them on my crx or my hatch.
Nice build BTW.

#5 ·
wow, I haven't updated you guys on any progress in a lot longer than I thought.

I pretty much finished the quarters... especially the drivers side. Theres a small wave behind the wheel to take care of, but its tolerable, at least right now. Once its painted, It will probably drive me nuts, lol.

I picked up some new doors from Matt. On the way home, I stopped at my Parents and filled in the holes that were drilled to mount a WW kit. My passenger door had started to rust pretty bad, there was a large hole above the bump strip where I did a horrible job welding in a patch. There was also a large section of surface rust that was nearly through forward of the hole. The area around the door handle was Titanic-ed and caving in. The drivers door was much better, but instead of adjusting the latches outward, the previous body man decided to fill the door to meet the quarter (moron).

I started stripping the hood a couple days ago, but its going pretty slow since its so humid the past couple days. My DA was spitting water out the sides, even though I have a small water seperator :oops:.

I also shaved the antenna with a patch of fiberglass. That I started on last night. So far, so good.

I recovered the drivers door panel with new black vinyl on the lower portion and black 'headliner material" from a fabric shop over the top grey area. Then I sewed on the cordouroy CRX panel. The dash and passenger panel will be covered to match. Looks similar to the EDM velour panels.

I also somewhat started my engine build a couple weeks ago. I brought my block to a buddy's shop and honed the cylinders, which I found out need to be bored out. So, between the extra work I need done now to the block, I'm trying to decide wether a ZC would be a better option. I really miss my old one, but I know of one that is fairly cheap out this way <shrug>.

Sorry no pics... now that I'm no longer a college student, I don't have access to a good camera any more :(

#6 ·
New update:

I have a Z6 top end sitting in my garage now thanks to cbp_crx.

Downest is delivering some JDM fenders in the next few weeks, and possibly rockers (and co-thanks to Jmart)

Dren is sending me a pretty clean valve cover for the Z6.

The hood is pretty close to stripped, and will be primered today.

I have a GSR shifter to install also (thanks to Matt) if I can get those stupid bolts out of the linkage.

I picked up a set of brand new OEM side markers with wiring off ebay for 30 shipped, so those should be here by weeks end.

Its coming along slowly but surely. I just need to figure out a way to degrease the chassis without scrubbing it from underneath and getting covered in stuff.

#8 ·
Sorry, not yet. The next thing I'm going to buy is an HVLP gun... they are on clearance at Lowes... I'm getting an Ingersoll Rand (good prices now, and should drop more August 1st).

Then I need to get the rockers welded in, then I can start to really think about paint. Speaking of which, I'm shooting it Phantom Gray Pearl (NH561P) which came on Civics from 92-95, and Accords from 92-98, and possibly other cars. I'm also going to spray flat/semi gloss black in the recessed area of the hood, the roof, and hatch, and then engine bay.

#10 ·
I tried to google pics too, but could only find one dark image of a civic, or toyotas. Its a medium silver metallic, I found it by looking at touch up paints at the parts store.

I plan on doing a couple of drawings of the car, just to make sure it will look as good as I hope.

#11 ·
PGP is the color of my 92 hatch Scott.
Nice pick of colors mang.I like the look and I think you will too.

#15 ·
disclaimer....sorry scott I'm not trying to hijack your thread with my cars,but I believe you asked... :wink:
My DD.....a 92 EG hatch

It has been lowered 2" since this pic was taken.I'm working on new wheels in the immediate future.

#19 ·
Another update!

Well, I really wish I had a camera, so I then wouldn't have to type so much, lol.

I have now removed the entire front end (suspension, cross members, hoses, engine/tranny, ect. I'm filling all of the spot welds and the spraying the entire engine bay in a new coat of flat black.

I am still waiting on getting some rockers from Downest... I just need to find time to get out there and cut them off a car out there.

Bas has an EDM wing he's packaging up to ship me.

My P29 pistons, rings and wrist pins showed up last week

I have a set of Tein S Techs also on the way.

Unfortunately, I doubt the car will be painted until spring, since the weather is starting to get too cold, and those nice spraying days will definitely be gone by the time I do my last block sanding.

I guess I'll just have to build my engine this winter <shrug> lol

#20 ·
Will it be done for N13? Thats going to be one killer car. Goodluck with everything.

#23 ·
Another update... and pics will be coming.

I picked up... wait, damn near stole, a set of 90 Integra brakes (4 wheel disk) along with the 15/16 master cylinder and proportioning valve today from a local yard for 100. I probably could have taken more off the car too, like the sway bars, but Robyn and I were there for over 3 hours getting the brakes off. I thought that was long enough.

I've now got the EDM flush-mount wing and teins.

Robyn's sister has a camera which she's going to let me borrow. We've been waiting for the cords to be shipped from Hawaii... Maybe this week I can post some pics <crosses fingers>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.